Why do you celebrate Christmas if you're not Christian? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ssdizzy12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering why people celebrate Christmas if they are not Christian? I mean Christmas is the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth, but if you don't believe in it why celebrate it? Why not celebrate other religious events such as Hanukkah, Eid, The birthday of Guru Nanak etc.. why only celebrate Christmas?
BobbyFlay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because an obese man in a red suit stuffing himself through your chimney, eating your cookies and leaving presents is a Christian exclusive holiday... Must be a Genesis thing.
aarora
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not Christian but I celebrate Christmas. I don't attend a church service but I have a Christmas tree, Christmas dinner, do presents etc. It's a part of British culture and I'm British. It's nice to take part in a holiday where everyone is so jolly etc and embrace another religion's holiday.
yasaminO_o
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why do Christians celebrate Christmas? It's just adapted from tha pagan Saturnalia. They could have at least chosen a different time of year.

To answer your question, Muslims recognise Jesus as a prophet so his birth is significant. As for the rest of us, who doesn't want an excuse to be around family, exchange gifts and eat until you feel sick?
preetg97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm Sikh and we celebrate Christmas. We use it more as an excuse to meet up with family, decorate the house for the only time in the year and eat **** tonnes of food though, rather than for celebrating the birth of Jesus
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ssdizzy12)
I was wondering why people celebrate Christmas if they are not Christian? I mean Christmas is the annual Christian festival celebrating Christ's birth, but if you don't believe in it why celebrate it? Why not celebrate other religious events such as Hanukkah, Eid, The birthday of Guru Nanak etc.. why only celebrate Christmas?
It's a part of the countries culture. Same reason why people celebrate Halloween despite not being Pagan
sera_m8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BobbyFlay)
Because an obese man in a red suit stuffing himself through your chimney, eating your cookies and leaving presents is a Christian exclusive holiday... Must be a Genesis thing.
lol brilliant
yourdad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe in santa and his small friends of the orient
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's been proven jesus wasn't born on Christmas day....
Christians as of yet haven't figured that out.

I'm celebrating Newton-mas Now that's a worthy cause!
yasaminO_o
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Inazuma)

Why tf are you doing a bridge against your headboard
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because it's fun.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I presume because it is a cultural holiday, just as much as a religious one. How many families actually bother going to church at Christmas, or even saying a prayer before eating? Not many.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 3 years ago
I don't, but if I did, I don't see why I'd need a better reason than, 'presents, bruh.'
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm an Atheist but I still celebrate Christmas. For me, it's more of a cultural thing than a religious holiday. I enjoy the festivities, giving and receiving gifts, eating lots of food, and being with my family. That's what Christmas means to me, never mind the birth of a bloke with a fluffy beard.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Inazuma)

may an especially large and hard apple fall on your head :yep:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jambojim97)
I'm an Atheist but I still celebrate Christmas. For me, it's more of a cultural thing than a religious holiday. I enjoy the festivities, giving and receiving gifts, eating lots of food, and being with my family. That's what Christmas means to me, never mind the birth of a bloke with a fluffy beard.
a pretty feeble atheist... i expect you still use coins saying "By the Grace of God" on them.

#youaintnoatheistbruv
jambojim97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
a pretty feeble atheist... i expect you still use coins saying "By the Grace of God" on them.

#youaintnoatheistbruv
Nah m8 I use bitcoin with barter.
heypusheen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think a lot of people, both Christians and non-Christians, know that Jesus wasn't born in December (he was actually born in April). It just got confused with the sun god's birthday as people refer to Jesus as the son OF God.
Linaria
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because it's a culturally accepted excuse to go home and spend time with family, eat good food and de-stress from everyday life. There are many weird holidays with various origins that we don't necessarily agree with amymore (where I am from, Yule started as a pagan festival where the vikings would make offerings and feast in honour of the Old Norse Gods, then Christianity came and made "us" celebrate Jesus instead of Odin.. Now it has become more than a Christian holiday), but does it really matter why we do it, as long as it's about love and family, because I really don't see how we could get too much of that.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ssdizzy12)
nope, sorry you lose 5 points.

Christmas is the ancient northern European pagan festival celebrating the re-birth of the year. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the middle eastern religions.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (46)
28.57%
The paper was reasonable (82)
50.93%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
10.56%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.94%

Watched Threads