The Student Room Group

Planning to finish off my Open Degree with the Open University

Ok so I have 240 Points so I need another 60 level 3 points to get an Open Degree without Honors.

The problem is the course selection is very limited in my area (Computing).

Data management and analysis (TM351) NEW30Jan 2016 IT systems: planning for success (TM353)30Oct 2016 Software engineering (TM354)30Oct 2016 I had have previously studied with OU about 10 years ago.

I done a level 2 course :

M206 Computing: An Object-oriented Approach. (Small Talk)
I found this hard but passed just.

I tried this level 3 (60 point) course
M301 software systems and their development

I passed the course work but failed the exam. The course was torture I hated it to be honest.

The problem is all the OU Level 3 courses seem to include programming which I don't have much interest it.

I really want a Degree and if i have to do some programming I will as long as there is no exam at the end (im Dyslexic).

However if I was just to choose a really easy level 3, 60 point course say in Business Studies would they let me on it you think?

Cheers
Paul
Original post by psheraton
Ok so I have 240 Points so I need another 60 level 3 points to get an Open Degree without Honors.

The problem is the course selection is very limited in my area (Computing).

Data management and analysis (TM351) NEW30Jan 2016 IT systems: planning for success (TM353)30Oct 2016 Software engineering (TM354)30Oct 2016 I had have previously studied with OU about 10 years ago.

I done a level 2 course :

M206 Computing: An Object-oriented Approach. (Small Talk)
I found this hard but passed just.

I tried this level 3 (60 point) course
M301 software systems and their development

I passed the course work but failed the exam. The course was torture I hated it to be honest.

The problem is all the OU Level 3 courses seem to include programming which I don't have much interest it.

I really want a Degree and if i have to do some programming I will as long as there is no exam at the end (im Dyslexic).

However if I was just to choose a really easy level 3, 60 point course say in Business Studies would they let me on it you think?

Cheers
Paul

Unless you have good prerequisite knowledge most level 3 modules build on previous modules so you will be expected to know something of that subject before really picking it up at level 3 even if you do have more free reign with doing an open degree.

There isn't really such thing as an 'easy' level 3 and most level 3 modules have exam at the end but some have EMAs and projects. There is a computing project module whose code I can't recall off the top of my head though if that could be relevant.

What other level 1 & 2 modules have you done? I completed a BSc Computing & Mathematical Sciences degree last year but a lot of the computing and maths modules have had an overhaul in recent years so I might not be able to give reviews of any.

Also are the OU aware of your dyslexia as some help could be put in place if they are.

Speak to your SST as they will help advise.

Quick Reply