ABC05
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If anyone does this I'd be really grateful for some info about lecture content, contact hours and just general opinions. Examples of work set and stuff like that would be really useful too. Thanks
makingamemory
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I didn't do EGID, but I was part of ENV so I thought i'd try and be some help as no one's replied
(some of the info may be a little out of date because the courses changed a little for freshers starting in 2013 because they could no longer do 10 credit modules, so had to make changes, and merge some modules together).

For the ENV side for an average 20 credit module you're looking at 5 contact hours per module at least - 2x 1 hr lectures and a 3 hour practical/seminar/lab a week per module. Unfortunately for the 3hr block you usually have them between 9-12 or 2-5. In my first year I had 23 contact hours on average, dropping to 15 during 2nd/3rd year. I'm not sure what it's like when you take DEV modules into account.

In terms of first year modules:
RESEARCH AND FIELD SKILLS
The title is pretty self-explanatory throughout the course you get taught a range of skills to help you with research projects. e.g. data collection, data manipulation, data presentation etc. Each week in the practical you'll be set a mini project, be it in the field collecting data, using GIS software to carry out data manipulation, or a site selection project. There was a large emphasis on GIS, as it's a skill that makes you very employable in the industry, but each project you'll be given a large guide (step by step) on what you need to do. In terms of projects (most likely to have changed after 4 years now) I had to do: a piece of coursework on finding the ideal site to locate a wind turbine using GIS, measure and assess the energy efficiency of UEA residences, and then at Slapton we had to get ourselves into groups come up with a project that we could measure in a day (you'll be assigned a supervisor) and then carry out the fieldwork, interpret the data and create an A1 poster as a group to be presented the next day. By presenting it you essentially stick it up on a board two lecturers will come over and assess it and ask you as a group questions about the poster.
The lecturers are amazing in this. You'll also go on a weeks fieldtrip with everyone in ENV (~200 students) during easter to Slapton, Devon and it's the best fieldtrip ever, it's a great way to get to know everyone that you haven't already.

SUSTAINABILITY, SOCIETY AND BIODIVERSITY
This one is a little harder as when I was a fresher it was divided into two separate modules. The sustainability and society module was to do with environmental policy and theory (that's as much of it I can remember!) The biodiversity module was essentially ecology and if you did Biology at A-level you essentially recap the ecology/DNA sections of it.

UNDERSTANDING THE DYNAMIC PLANET
Again this was broken into two separate modules when I did it. One of the modules looked at basic physics that you would need to know to understand the other module. I hadn't done A-level physics, nor was particularly strong at it at GCSE but survived. The coursework piece we had was to create an abstract based on one of the practical we had done over the module. The other module was basically plate tectonics, a bit of sedimentology and then a really small section on soils (was like 2 lectures?). The piece of coursework we had on that was a set of questions we had to answer kinda exam styled but you were able to look up everything.

In general ENV is brilliant, and because you have such a large number of contact hours (and like most sciences) it's a very social course. The lecturers are very nice and always approachable when you need help. I know the group who did EGID (about 15 or so?) in my year loved their course and were very close because they were in the same boat of straddling the school of ENV and DEV.
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Worth taking a look at the Course Profile tab to see typically what modules are on offer over the 3 years:

https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergra...nt-unu1ll78303
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.33%
No (98)
79.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed