aceface9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ever since i was young i wanted to be a pilot. First i wanted to be a regular airline pilot but after some research i learned there were more exciting stuff for an adrenaline junkie like myself.
Joining the RAF as a pilot seemed perfect and that's what i plan to do. However, there are some slight problems...

Problem 1) Qualifications.
On the website it says you need 2 A levels. I'm currently studying BTEC level 3 law, Btec level 3 IT, and as level english language and i'm going to do another a level next year. If i just pass one a level will i still be able to apply?

Problem 2) Fitness
Okay i'm quite fit and healthy, i have anaemia but it's not a disqualifying factor. However you need to be really fit like you need to run 1.5k in like 10 minutes and do sit-ups/pushups under 2 minutes or something. I believe after training and motivation i will be able to do it so that's not my main worry. My BMI is slightly under 18 but i'm not too fussed about that either.

Problem 3) Acceptance
I'm a 17 year old asian girl and in the past i have experienced racial abuse and at work people assume i can't cope with certain tasks because i'm a girl. I don't want to be bullied or anything.
Also, there is a lot of competition in the RAF and i'm afraid i won't stand out or be as good as the rest.

I really want this job i always watch documentaries on it and it's my dream career.
jannisjr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
BTEC Level 3's are equivalent to A levels I believe so no dramas there. Give the careers hotline a ring, and they should be able to tell you over the phone. Takes less than 3 mins to confirm this.

Fitness wise, I believe they've changed the test to the bleep test as opposed to the 1.5 mile run, but its very easily worked on. I went from not being able to run 1km, to being able to run 1.5 miles in 9.20 in about 6 months, working on it 3 or 4 times a week. Easily fixed, just requires motivation and effort on your part. Same goes for the pushups and situps.

Acceptance wise, the RAF is one of the leading UK female employers, and there are very stringent equality regulations regarding both race and gender. Don't worry about that, its not an issue.

Competition wise, you're right. There's a lot of competition, but you've got time to develop your CV, so start NOW. Get stuck into volunteer work, or team sport, or extra curricular activities that will make you stand out, and demonstrate your leadership potential.
aceface9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by jannisjr)
BTEC Level 3's are equivalent to A levels I believe so no dramas there. Give the careers hotline a ring, and they should be able to tell you over the phone. Takes less than 3 mins to confirm this.

Fitness wise, I believe they've changed the test to the bleep test as opposed to the 1.5km run, but its very easily worked on. I went from not being able to run 1km, to being able to run 1.5km in 9.20 in about 6 months, working on it 3 or 4 times a week. Easily fixed, just requires motivation and effort on your part. Same goes for the pushups and situps.

Acceptance wise, the RAF is one of the leading UK female employers, and there are very stringent equality regulations regarding both race and gender. Don't worry about that, its not an issue.

Competition wise, you're right. There's a lot of competition, but you've got time to develop your CV, so start NOW. Get stuck into volunteer work, or team sport, or extra curricular activities that will make you stand out, and demonstrate your leadership potential.
Really helpful, thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's a bleep test or a 1.5mile run.
jannisjr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
* Sorry, typo
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd check up on the BTEC qualifications. I went for Weapons Tech initially but had to retrade as they deemed my BTEC distinction in Science wasn't equivalent to a C in GCSE Science, despite the fact my AST scores were really good.

Race & gender isn't a problem, it's not like the army.

Fitness is in your own hands. I don't know what it is for officer entry, but regular is a 1.5 mile run on a treadmill at PJFT (think for lasses it's 13:11 & under?) Followed by a bleep test on PRTC & Day 01 of BRTC (which again, I think is 8.3?)

Naturally pilot is incredibly competitive. I'm not saying that you won't do it, but look at alternatives. If you couldn't be a pilot, would you still want to be in the forces? Would you rather stay with the RAF in a different trade? Would you be willing to go in regular instead of officer? Apply for pilot in the Army or RN? Lots of other avenues open out there.
Fritz Bollinger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It's a bleep test or a 1.5mile run.
And either way, if you meet the qualifying standard for one, you should pass the other. (unless you can't turn around or have knackered knees)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads