The Student Room Group

A LEVEL Maths & Further Maths Module Combinations.

Hi, I have completed Maths and Further Maths AS Level and currently studying these subjects at A2.

For A Level Maths would
C1 C2 M1 C3 C4 D1
And A Level Further Maths
FP1 FP3 S1 D2 S2 M2 (also doing FP2)
be a suitable combination to get A* in both A Levels or does Further Maths require 3 AS units?
Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hassan55
Hi, I have completed Maths and Further Maths AS Level and currently studying these subjects at A2.

For A Level Maths would
C1 C2 M1 C3 C4 D1
be a suitable combination to get A* in both A Levels or does Further Maths require 3 AS units?
Thanks.

this look fine to me
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
this look fine to me

I have been told that the "2" must be alongside the "1" unit, eg C1-4 M1 M2, is this true or does it not matter when changing modules around.
Reply 3
I have been told that the "2" must be alongside the "1" unit, eg C1-4 M1 M2, is this true or does it not matter when changing modules around.

there are a lot of rules but for most people this suffices

STRAIGHT
C1/C2/C3/C4 and any 2 from S1/M1/D1 or M1/M2 or S1/S2 or D1/D2

FURTHER
FP1 and FP2 (and or FP3)
The other 2 or 3 (depending on whether you did both FP2 and FP3) must be any applied units you have not taken in straight
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Safe my g

For A Level Maths would
C1 C2 M1 C3 C4 D1
Thanks.

May I ask why you're doing an extra applied module for Further Maths, and not just do FP1 FP2 FP3, S1, D2, S2, for example
Reply 6
Original post by DylanJ42
May I ask why you're doing an extra applied module for Further Maths, and not just do FP1 FP2 FP3, S1, D2, S2, for example

Having heard from a lot of people, D2 is a much easier topic than FP2 so more chance to get 90+ ums for the A*
Having heard from a lot of people, D2 is a much easier topic than FP2 so more chance to get 90+ ums for the A*

Can't argue with that :laugh:
Reply 8
They do it so that you get the best possible grade in A-Level Maths over Further Maths so whilst you might have the intention of S1 being used for further if you get an A in it and a B in D1 then they will make S1 one of your maths modules and d1 one of your further maths ones. To get an A* in Maths, you need to get 90 UMS in C3 and C4 and get 480 UMS in total. To get an A* in Further Maths you need to get 90 UMS or above in 3 modules with a 2 or higher number after them eg S2 or M3, and again average 480 UMS.

My modules are currently arranged as:
Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, S1
FMaths: S2, FP1, FP2, M1, M2, M3

I got 90 UMS in D1 and 99 in S1 so if I messed up mechanics they might switch one of them to further maths to boost my grade as it wont affect me getting the A* (hopefully) in Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I always thought FP2 was compulsory for A2 Further Maths. I could be wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
For A2 Maths C1-4 is compulsory. But you can choose any other 2 modules from Stats/Mech/Decis to have your 6 modules for a complete A level. For the A* you need to have +90 ums in c3 and c4 and average an overall A in all the other 4 modules.

For A* in further Maths you must have +90 ums for FP2 and average A for all the other 5s. 6 modules must include FP1 and FP2, and any other 4 modules (either applied or further pure)

This is how it works for Edexcel.. I assume it's the same for all the boards. Good luck.
Reply 11
If I were to get 90 UMS across S2 M2 D2, would I still be able to get grade A* providing I got a total of 480 UMS? Or do I need to get 90 UMS in 3 A2 modules INCLUDING FP2 or FP3?
If I were to get 90 UMS across S2 M2 D2, would I still be able to get grade A* providing I got a total of 480 UMS? Or do I need to get 90 UMS in 3 A2 modules INCLUDING FP2 or FP3?

270 UMS average in your best three A2 modules, they dont specify that any of the modules need to be pure modules
Original post by RK1998
For A2 Maths C1-4 is compulsory. But you can choose any other 2 modules from Stats/Mech/Decis to have your 6 modules for a complete A level. For the A* you need to have +90 ums in c3 and c4 and average an overall A in all the other 4 modules.

For A* in further Maths you must have +90 ums for FP2 and average A for all the other 5s. 6 modules must include FP1 and FP2, and any other 4 modules (either applied or further pure)

This is how it works for Edexcel.. I assume it's the same for all the boards. Good luck.

A lot of what you have said is wrong.
I've heard that FP2 is the hardest FM module. It isn't compulsory - last year (AS) in FM I took FP1, S2, D1 and this year I'm taking FP4, D2, M2.
Maths modules I am taking/have taken are C1, C2, M1 (AS) and C3, C4, S1 (A2).

I am on AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest