The Student Room Group

What martial art is best for a woman?

Scroll to see replies

How is it helpful? Do you have their body? Ugh. It's like asking what's sex like or what does a certain food taste like. How about you try it yourself? :h:
Not very long, probably about 1-2 months? I'm going to be getting my first belt after christmas hopefully :smile:
Original post by Maggie_O
If you're patronizing me, no I can't tell you anything. The purpose of giving a list was saying that being a woman, you can practice any type of ****ing martial arts. I was put off by the title. I didn't know martial arts were gender-specific.

There are clear physical differences in muscle distribution and strength between men and women so obviously a martial art that would best suit a muscular man would be different from the type of martial arts that would best suit a tall-ish women relatively devoid of muscle strength such as myself. If one martial arts suited everybody then we wouldn't have so many different ones, would we?
Original post by Ubergooose
Not very long, probably about 1-2 months? I'm going to be getting my first belt after christmas hopefully :smile:

Heeyy, well, best of luck with it; thank you for your contribution. So Judo is mainly about throws and the like? Do you do joint locking or anything like that? What is the gender ratio in your class also? (I hope you don't mind this many questions)
Reply 24
I've done Karate for 5yrs, kickboxing for a year, muay thai for 2yrs and did bit of Judo in muay thai for fun. Since I've got a lot of work to do, I've stopped doing it for a few months and will start soon again (around June).

Its pretty much is groundwork. It will be best to just go and try them out and see which one is best for you. They are all useful in its own way.
I wouldn't recommend jiu jitsu as you need strength. It's all about wrestling on the floor. You wouldn't be able to effectively use it against a man. Similarly Judo. Assuming it is for self defence, I'd go for a striking art if I were a girl.
Who is the sexist who repped you?

Tell that to all the women who practice all of the martial arts disciplines you seem to cower from :h: Sure they may not go up against men but to say they can't practice any of the martial arts I listed...?

See this is why I listed them. Because you clearly have no idea about martial arts, as you stated you didn't :erm: I'd rather not sit here providing a CV statement for you on my background. Good luck only doing cartwheels. Ta :h:
No no, ask away :smile:

The basic premise of Judo is to get your opponent from standing to on their back, through either a throw or groundwork. It is mainly throws which is quite fun as its very fulfilling when you manage to throw someone double your weight over your shoulder!

The class is about 50/50 girls to boys actually I never feel like i'm being outnumbered by testosterone while i'm there which is nice :smile:
Original post by dreamlover
I wouldn't recommend jiu jitsu as you need strength. It's all about wrestling on the floor. You wouldn't be able to effectively use it against a man. Similarly Judo. Assuming it is for self defence, I'd go for a striking art if I were a girl.

How do you know that?! XD And she can practice it and use it against a female, who are you people.
Original post by kkboyk
I've done Karate for 5yrs, kickboxing for a year, muay thai for 2yrs and did bit of Judo in muay thai for fun. Since I've got a lot of work to do, I've stopped doing it for a few months and will start soon again (around June).

Its pretty much is groundwork. It will be best to just go and try them out and see which one is best for you. They are all useful in its own way.

Thank you kkkboyk

I hope you don't mind me asking but in your experience which one of the ones you have practised is the best for building up self defence skills, muscle strength, weight loss and speed of reaction respectively?

The basic premise of Judo is to get your opponent from standing to on their back, through either a throw or groundwork. It is mainly throws which is quite fun as its very fulfilling when you manage to throw someone double your weight over your shoulder!

The class is about 50/50 girls to boys actually I never feel like i'm being outnumbered by testosterone while i'm there which is nice :smile:

I know females as I am one of them who has easily overpowered men. This is what boggles me about these inexperienced or just senseless sexists. And OP is sexist against herself, pretty sad.
All of them? :confused:
I mean the underlined is literally the point of martial arts!
Original post by kkboyk

+1 I mean who is OP...
Who is the sexist who repped you?

Tell that to all the women who practice all of the martial arts disciplines you seem to cower from :h: Sure they may not go up against men but to say they can't practice any of the martial arts I listed...?

See this is why I listed them. Because you clearly have no idea about martial arts, as you stated you didn't :erm: I'd rather not sit here providing a CV statement for you on my background. Good luck only doing cartwheels. Ta :h:

It isn't sexist to acknowledge there are biological differences between the sexes; it is well established that on average males have more muscle mass than females and of that muscle mass more of it is upper body muscle.

Nobody is saying women cannot practise any of the martial arts you listed; however if your goal is to be able to defend yourself against an attacker who is potentially much stronger than you then you would need to study a martial art which can do that?

Okay, thank you for contribution
I know females as I am one of them who has easily overpowered men. This is what boggles me about these inexperienced or just senseless sexists. And OP is sexist against herself, pretty sad.

I'm trying my best to ignore you but I think you're being very rude.
The OP asked a question, and you attacking her for her opinions and responses to peoples answers.
I'm trying my best to ignore you but I think you're being very rude.
The OP asked a question, and you attacking her for her opinions and responses to peoples answers.

I am not attacking anyone, I am genuinely confused with the self doubt. If you want to ignore me, then click your name, scroll down to Members List and enter my name.

But if you want to ignore me for providing my opinions to OP who called me daft for providing a list of all the martial arts she can practice despite her sex...:erm:

Judo sounds fun; I'll give it a try.

Thank you again for sharing your experience on here :smile:
I hope you have fun! :smile:
Hence me providing my list. You're the one who said you didn't know anything...

And yes people here clearly said a woman could not defend herself against a man, hence my outrage. And are suggesting "easier" martial arts because you're female.
Original post by dreamlover

Okay, thank you dreamlover; so what are we talking here? Muay Thai? Krav Maga?

Quick Reply

Latest