The Student Room Group

PwC Flying Start Course 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by retardis
Yeah I spoke to a guy who went to Reading and he said there was no psychometric test so I doubt you'll have one. The competency questions are very broad as you said, but there are four areas they focus on; Whole Leadership, Business Acumen, Technical Capabilities, Global Acumen, Relationships. You should have gotten a email with an attachment thats entitled "How to prepare for your assessment day" that's really helpful so use that and keep thinking of examples where you've shows leadership, teamwork, innovation etc.

Well that's one less thing to worry about I guess, thanks. Okay, thank you, so it's quite similar to the form then? So it's just about finding more examples of the list. I only got to offer for the interview this morning so hopefully I'll get the other email through soon.
Thank you so much, you've been a lot of help.
Hi,

I have my assessment day on Wednesday 10th Feb. Anyone else have one then?
I am slightly worried about the interview. Any tips for preparing for it and any advice for those who have already had their assessment days and how there interview went.

Reply 42
Original post by ollie.frier
Hi,

I have my assessment day on Wednesday 10th Feb. Anyone else have one then?
I am slightly worried about the interview. Any tips for preparing for it and any advice for those who have already had their assessment days and how there interview went.

The interview uses competency based questions so make sure you prepare for these types of questions and make use of the documents they send you.

Remember to take your time in answering a question, the interviewer wants you to communicate clearly so don't rush into an answer because you feel pressured :smile:
Thanks!

I've been looking at competency based questions, but as a student I don't have much experience and am finding it difficult to come up with examples where I have represented these skills:/

Any pointers with regards would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by pateln
The interview uses competency based questions so make sure you prepare for these types of questions and make use of the documents they send you.

Remember to take your time in answering a question, the interviewer wants you to communicate clearly so don't rush into an answer because you feel pressured :smile:

:smile:
Reply 45
Thanks!

I've been looking at competency based questions, but as a student I don't have much experience and am finding it difficult to come up with examples where I have represented these skills:/

Any pointers with regards would be much appreciated! :smile:

try to think about any experiences you've had (this could be as simple as a group project you worked on in school or something you've had to deal with in a part time job)

brainstorm various situations and then try to link them to your answers. It's all about what you got from the experience than the experience itself.
Essentially:
what you learned from a simple task > a vague answer from a prestigious work placement
Hi, I have been inited to the Assessment Centre at Reading and I was wondering if anyone that has already been could tell me what the case study was like/ What theirs was about and how many people were in their group?? And if anyone has any tips or advice for the interview that would also be very hepful!!
Reply 47
Original post by XYessicaX
Hi, I have been inited to the Assessment Centre at Reading and I was wondering if anyone that has already been could tell me what the case study was like/ What theirs was about and how many people were in their group?? And if anyone has any tips or advice for the interview that would also be very hepful!!

Congrats on getting the invite! I had mine on the 10th and it really wasn't as bad as I though it would be. Don't worry about the case study too much. It's not really about the topic you've got to discuss (which you don't need any outside information for, it's all given to you) and more about how you work in the team. You have 20 mins to read and then 30 mins to discus it with the group. All I can really say is make sure you read everything they give you and speak up. Don't try and take charge and although a few notes might help you, prioritise speaking rather than writing. Groups tend to be 5/6 people. But really just relax, it's not as painful as it's made out to be.
For the interview just be yourself and do your research. Make sure you know in depth a recent business issue that you're happy to talk about and interested in. And think about everything you've done and how you can bring it in to PwC's core competencies, e.g. teamwork, communication, relationships, etc. And know the basics about the course and what you'd be doing on placement. Don't be afraid of taking a little time before answering each question. Read all they give you in their invite email, that'll tell you all you need to know.
Mainly just enjoy the whole day and good luck!
Hello,
I'm just wondering if any of you have received any replies from Newcastle uni
Has anyone also applied to the higher apprenticeship with PwC as i have an offer for both and am really stuck with what to choose, help?!
Reply 50
Original post by chloeemily17
Has anyone also applied to the higher apprenticeship with PwC as i have an offer for both and am really stuck with what to choose, help?!

Iv applied for the Pwc degree programme and the delloite higher apprenticeship. Havnt heard back from any of them yet, but I can imagine it being a tough decision if I somehow manage to get an offer for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm torn because if i go down the apprenticeship route that would mean having no debt but also having very little money left anyway after paying to live in cambridge and also they fact i will probably not have such a good social life so therefore may miss out on making life long friends that people mostly make at uni but the on the uni side id be even further from home and my boyfriend and also have all the debt to pay after which i could've avoided ugh its so hard to choose
Original post by chloeemily17

Yeah I too have an offer from Nottingham and PwC. I'm leaning towards the higher apprenticeship as in the long run i think it will be better for my career. Also PwC hold lots of socials and you'll meet other people there that might become life long friends! I think its all down to personal preference as both have pros and cons relative to each other.
Yeah I too have an offer from Nottingham and PwC. I'm leaning towards the higher apprenticeship as in the long run i think it will be better for my career. Also PwC hold lots of socials and you'll meet other people there that might become life long friends! I think its all down to personal preference as both have pros and cons relative to each other.

Yes after thinking about it for the last few days i think I'm swaying towards the apprenticeship as well what office have you applied to?
Reply 54
Nottingham just declined me for the accountancy course with Pwc, but alternatively gave me an unconditional to study finance, accounts and Management :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Nottingham just declined me for the accountancy course with Pwc, but alternatively gave me an unconditional to study finance, accounts and Management :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww bummer, hope you'll still choose Notts tho, maybe try and arrange a year in industry with PwC and you might have the same experience. My only advice is to work on whatever criticisms they gave in the phonecall, it's all in experience after all.
Reply 56
Original post by retardis
Aww bummer, hope you'll still choose Notts tho, maybe try and arrange a year in industry with PwC and you might have the same experience. My only advice is to work on whatever criticisms they gave in the phonecall, it's all in experience after all.

Thats the thing, I never even got a chance to go through the application process. No telephone interview nor assessment day. They emailed, notifying me that they had a lot of applications this year....

It's either Notts or Bham. Maybe consider applying for the apprenticeship programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Thats the thing, I never even got a chance to go through the application process. No telephone interview nor assessment day. They emailed, notifying me that they had a lot of applications this year....

It's either Notts or Bham. Maybe consider applying for the apprenticeship programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thats a real shame, normally they dont give offers out for FAM without getting an inteview. Good luck with whatever you decide anyway
I was there on the 15/12 for the assessment day at nottingham too! how did you find it ?
just wanted to know which office do you think you will be placed for the placements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending