Potential Placement Boredom

Watch this thread
Reptic
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,

Im interested to hear from people who live in or around Dorchester or anyone with knowledge of the area...I am going on placement there for four months. What is there to do in terms of sport and general summer activities?

Cheers!
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I don't know much about Dorchester but I have done a few stints of working away from home for several months at a time. At the end of the day, it is whatever you make of it. If you put yourself out there and make the effort it is all to be had. There will be local clubs and societies you can join. Jive dancing is my thing when away from home so I usually suss out a few local spots. I note that Weymouth and more specifically, the climbing hotspot of Portland is just down the road. Then of course there is the famous Chesil Beach just over the way.

What is not to like about a thoroughly beautiful spot?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What sort of sport do you enjoy? You're a short hop to Weymouth, which has great beaches and a good bay for swimming. Portland houses the National Sailing Academy and there are a number of sailing schools and boat hire places. You're smack on the Jurassic Coast and right next to Maiden Castle (the largest prehistoric hillfort in Europe) for some fantastic walking which can be anything from a summer stroll to a proper hike, as you choose. Dorchester Sports Centre has a pool and gym and there are another couple of members' only gyms in the town that you might be able to get a short-term pass for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads