You know for the mocks...
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Mainly for a GCSE student
bulgylau
And also four whole rep points will be awarded to the person who helps me!
bulgylau
I mean 4 POINTS now that's a lot
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Each section of the electromagnetic spectrum (e.g. gamma wave/ infra-red wave) give out different colours.
When something is moving away from us(Earth) infra-red waves are given out because the wavelength of the waves released by the object is long(or at least longer than half of types of waves), this is because the object(e.g. galaxy) is moving away, so you could say the waves are being stretched.

As for the doppler effect, when a source of sound gets closer to you, the wavelength of the sound waves decreases and the frequency increases, therefore increasing the pitch of the sound created, as it moves away again, the sound waves become longer so the pitch decreases. Best example is an ambulance/police car passing by you.
bulgylau
Also you will get the satisfaction of helping me!
CoolCavy
  • Chat Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey, from what i can remember:

RED shift:
waves are elongated which means that the frequency is lowered so the sound is deeper. e.g stars moving away from earth show red shift. try to think of a boat, as the boat moved away it leaves water in it's wake (hypothetically i mean, boats don't actually have anything to do with the doppler effect it is just how i remembered it )

BlUE shift:
waves are compressed which means the frequency is increased so the sound is higher. e.g stars moving towards earth.
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doppler effect is when a wave is stretched out due to a moving source.

Red shift is when light is shifted towards the red part of the spectrum (it has an increased wavelength). This is because galaxies are moving away from us, so the light emitted at one point becomes stretched, since it's source moves away from where it was emitted.

Feel free to ask questions.
bulgylau
(Original post by CoolCavy)

RED shift:
waves are elongated which means that the frequency is lowered so the sound is deeper. e.g stars moving away from earth show red shift. try to think of a boat, as the boat moved away it leaves water in it's wake

BlUE shift:
waves are compressed which means the frequency is increased so the sound is higher. e.g stars moving towards earth.
Thank you
!
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)

RED shift:
waves are elongated which means that the frequency is lowered so the sound is deeper. e.g stars moving away from earth show red shift. try to think of a boat, as the boat moved away it leaves water in it's wake

BlUE shift:
Straight out of here, I was first.
bulgylau
(Original post by Mayhem™)
Straight out of here, I was first.
I can't give you a rep. I am sorry :mad::console:
But I will give you a firm handshake *shakes hand firmly*
And an amusing gif
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by homeland.lsw)
I can't give you a rep. I am sorry :mad::console:
But I will give you a firm handshake *shakes hand firmly*
And an amusing gif
That will have to do:beard:
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well do you get doppler shift for soundwaves?

e.g. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/clas...Doppler-Effect
Kalail
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Doppler effect is the change of frequency in a wave, if I remember correctly. It explains why sirens sound different depending on direction.
markovchain17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ok imagine an ambulance coming ur way. say it's going from right to left. the sound waves comin out from it will be compressed a bit towards the end of where the ambulance is movin so at the front of the ambulance (if it's not reversing) then the waves will compress there and compressed waves means higher freq. means higher pitch so when it comes towards u, bc the front end of the ambulance it's compressed it will be higher pitch then as it goes by and goes further away the not compressed waves ull hear and theyre low freq. this is the doppler effect.

Basically the red shift is the doppler effect in stars as proof that they're moving away cus the universe is expanding. if a star is moving away think of the ambulance moving away and the pitch gets lower bc the waves are more uncompressed. Now instead of sound waves its light waves cus its a star and the lowest visible light is red so cus its moving away the light waves get more uncompressed and therefore more redder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
30.35%
The paper was reasonable (535)
39.6%
Not feeling great about that exam... (230)
17.02%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
13.03%

Watched Threads