Do you trust the MSM? Is citizen journalism the way forward?

Watch
Poll: Is citizen journalism the way forward?
Yes (3)
60%
No (2)
40%
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I loathe the BBC. It deems itself impartial, however it has long since denied any other cultural standpoint on its coverage - it's now 100% progressive. All of its coverage, on cultural and social issues, is orientated around groups (women, homosexuals, transsexuals, 'black people', all of which are imagined identities), not individual liberty. It creates the very same prejudices it claims to oppose. It's not conservative, it's not libertarian (from a cultural standpoint), it's 100% progressive.

The euphemistically refer to everything they disagree with as 'far-right', even where it doesn't even begin to meet such a simplistic evaluation, i.e., in no way is it possible, even with the most juvenile level of analysis, to classify 'Front National' as 'far-right', similarly there's no conceivable way to classify fascism as 'right-wing'. Yet they do, incessantly.

The same can be said for the Telegraph, which, with a change of editor, has become click bait journalism, and appeasers of religious conservatism. Culturally, the newspaper is to the left, like most Conservative MPs.

I also appreciate many on the hard left refuse to acknowledge the Guardian as a credible source of information, and consider many Blairites to be 'right-wing'; I think this is valid, they all support laissez faire capitalism, and the BBC has entrenched political viewpoints on the validity of capitalism).

So, what's the way forward? I know I don't trust a single MSM source, should we be (are we?) veering towards citizen journalism, and only listening to, or reading from, sources we trust?

What does that mean for the future of these organisations, which still command a significant marketshare in the UK?
troubadour.
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
'Citizen journalism' -- Hmm. Not really, especially as citizens seem overly prone to believing in nonsense conspiracies. (All those UFO videos? Yeah, that's all citizen journalism.)

As far as reporting facts/news is concerned, the BBC does the job just fine.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am perfectly satisfied with the BBC. Sure they aren't always the most impartial. But they still try and keep to facts most of the time.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use reuters.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its difficult. Everyone has an agenda, and nobody will know everything.

I personally lost a lot of faith in all mainstream outlets during the libyan civil war.

By focusing more on multiple smaller journalists you can get a broader view of what has happened in the world.
Bupdeeboowah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One doesn't need citizen journalism when you can easily read the Grauniad's and Daily Mail's comments sections.

Sheer entertainment.
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
One doesn't need citizen journalism when you can easily read the Grauniad's and Daily Mail's comments sections.

Sheer entertainment.
I've always learned far more from comments on posts than I have the actual posts.

The Guardian attracts a disproportionate share of totalitarian basket cases but there are also some incredibly sharp and incisive posters.
Démocratie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes everyone knows Jews run a lot of the media and tell us what to think..

In America, despite what Alex Jones says calling it corporate media. It is Jewish media. All of it. Even Black Entertainment Television is owned by an old Jewish guy. Media has a massive influence on us and how we view the world.

Nixon spoke about the control of media and how it is destroying America's values. He was right....

Has anyone noticed how many rappers always talk about the illuminati? who are the illuminati? well obviously they are linked to media, including the music industry. The music industry heavily Jewish owned and they promote certain things like gangster rap. Take NWA as an example, their manager was a Jewish man.

Michael Jackson has made many anti-Jewish remarks, along with others of the Jackson family.

Jews like immorality or just or corrupting us I don't know. I've seen some tv shows in Israel and they're not any different. Then again many Jews do not watch TV, do not even listen to Western music. Maybe these are Jews who resist being corrupted, and concentrate more on being successful billionaires.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (7)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
26.83%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
4.88%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (5)
12.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.44%
I think it's an unfair expectation (14)
34.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.44%

Watched Threads