physics - how;d you find it? ( OCR ) Watch

This discussion is closed.
DazYaa911
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
the ffe was pretty ok overall, same with the synoptic, apart from that had a couple of little *****es in it
Hipocrit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not bad at all. Particle physics was easier (and less random) than the past papers thankfully. I only did units 2 and 3 though (Im in the LVIth).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The paper was totally different to the past ones in terms of style for FFE. And stuff about klystrons or something?

I've been looking at the past papers and I hate it when they ask me a question that's not on the syllabus i.e transformers.

I get the feeling I did not do enough to get what I want. May be it's just a natural reaction after learnign so much and not being able to put it down on to paper. I did that with law once but got an amazing result nevertheless. I was aiming for an A, but cosmology is yet to do and I'm best at that in A2 physics

Always next year I suppose lol...

For some reason for me these papers are getting harder each year when I look back at the older ones, no idea why.
DazYaa911
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
The paper was totally different to the past ones in terms of style for FFE. And stuff about klystrons or something?

I've been looking at the past papers and I hate it when they ask me a question that's not on the syllabus i.e transformers.

I get the feeling I did not do enough to get what I want. May be it's just a natural reaction after learnign so much and not being able to put it down on to paper. I did that with law once but got an amazing result nevertheless. I was aiming for an A, but cosmology is yet to do and I'm best at that in A2 physics

Always next year I suppose lol...

For some reason for me these papers are getting harder each year when I look back at the older ones, no idea why.
heh compared to the past papers, the paper was good

nuclear and particle for me
cobra
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I found both ffe and unifying concepts bareable, i was expecting them to be much harder, and i'm not bothered what they ask, its always related to whats on the sylabus and i'm usually quite good at applying it to other things, often better than just doin it in its normal form
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What did everyone put for the bit where they asked you to describe 2 experiments to show that there are 3 types of radiation (i think)?

I put one where you have a source aimed at a magnetic field, and the second one was totally random and irrelevant...holding an alpha source above a wire held at a potential and watching the sparks lol.
el GaZZa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm curious to find out if anyone answered the question about testing for helium gas with 'swallow it and see if your voice goes squeaky'. Of the thousands that took the paper, surely there must be at least one!
el GaZZa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Apologies for the double post)

I did the magnetic field one, and placing a source which emits all 3 kinds of radiation next to a Geiger counter and putting paper, aluminium and lead in between the two.
DazYaa911
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kenkennykenken)
What did everyone put for the bit where they asked you to describe 2 experiments to show that there are 3 types of radiation (i think)?

I put one where you have a source aimed at a magnetic field, and the second one was totally random and irrelevant...holding an alpha source above a wire held at a potential and watching the sparks lol.
yeah i know, they couldnt ask us to describe an experiment to prove there are protons or NEUTRONS, NOOOOOOO they haveeeeee go over the line and really push it

lol
misty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my mate did the helium one- the voice. he also tested it with a lighted splint to see if it gives a sqeaky pop!
kenkennykenken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by misty)
my mate did the helium one- the voice. he also tested it with a lighted splint to see if it gives a sqeaky pop!
I said to do spectroscopy and compare the spectra with known spectra pattern for helium...then I found out spectroscopy wasn't the name of that technique. I've forgottenit again!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by el GaZZa)
(Apologies for the double post)

I did the magnetic field one, and placing a source which emits all 3 kinds of radiation next to a Geiger counter and putting paper, aluminium and lead in between the two.
is the geiger the one where something 'clicks' it shows randomness and spontaneous something blah blah blah......? caus thats what i put
el GaZZa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I managed to muster the words 'spectrometer' and 'absorption spectrum' from the Cosmology module so I think I got away with that one.
el GaZZa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chats)
is the geiger the one where something 'clicks' it shows randomness and spontaneous something blah blah blah......? caus thats what i put
Something like that.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i thought it was hydrogen that made squeeky pops!!!

and atomic emission is a form of spectroscopy (thats what the answer to that question was - analyse line spectra and compare the energy differences of electron states in helium - should match up)
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i asked before but noone answered, 30/60 for an A?
el GaZZa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
48/60 would be an A
avalondep
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i did OCR syllabus B(advancing physics) this morning. has anyone here sat that, or is there another thread.
that was a pretty dull paper. The very last question of paper 5 (Field+particle physics) was really tough if you didn't know anything about Hall Voltages. I just looked in the text book OCR/the Institute of Physics set, and there is about 4 lines about it in the whole book... and yet they dedicate a 10-marker to it. humph. don't like OCR syllabus B!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by el GaZZa)
48/60 would be an A
yeh thats in terms of ums. but raw marks caus the paper was hard will be low?
friday13th
Report 14 years ago
i got 54/60 on my coursework

and probably 20/60 on this

what grade will i have
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?