The Student Room Group

Biological sciences/Biomedical sciences

I was wondering what the difference between the two courses was in terms of lab/practical work, does one have significantly more lab/practical work than the other?
Original post by Scroto faggins
I was wondering what the difference between the two courses was in terms of lab/practical work, does one have significantly more lab/practical work than the other?

It really depends on your university in a lot of ways. I'm at Liverpool and both programmes do the same amount of lab work. However, this will vary with the uni. In general, biological sciences gives you a lot of freedom as you can select modules from various branches of biology, so in this way you could select modules that have more/less lab work. Biomed at some universities may be more lab based. Perhaps have a good look into the two courses at the same universities and see if there is a difference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
It really depends on your university in a lot of ways. I'm at Liverpool and both programmes do the same amount of lab work. However, this will vary with the uni. In general, biological sciences gives you a lot of freedom as you can select modules from various branches of biology, so in this way you could select modules that have more/less lab work. Biomed at some universities may be more lab based. Perhaps have a good look into the two courses at the same universities and see if there is a difference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay, thanks :biggrin:
Hi, I'm currently a final year Biomedical science student at the University of Essex. As previously stated the courses are quite similar in terms of lab work. The main difference is in the content i.e. Biological sciences is more general biology - where as Biomedical science has a combination of chemistry and human biology with more practical based applications.

Hope this helps,
Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest