Why isn't phsycology a science?

Watch
zana54
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's so unfair. I love phycology. Why isn't it regarded as a science?
_Lizabeth_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not a pure science subject, it's considered science in some universities. E.g. you can use it for things like forensic science at some unis where they'll say 'biology, psychology or chemistry'. Most universities don't though - because it's not a traditional pure science - you wouldn't learn about the human brain as much as you would in biology (I take psychology too)
hoping4Astars
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's considered a social science like economics.
tylerdaniel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of the reasons is that it's argued that any result gained from even the most scientific of experiments will be biased in some way as they measure human behaviour and not numbers, and we as humans can't be objective about our own minds.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
science has to be objective however it's difficult to be objective in psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
TunaTunnel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because its not hard.
Kholmes1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whats phsycology?
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you can't even find 'psychology' in the dictionary; how would you ever truly know?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dodgy spellings aside, psychology is a science in that it involves the empirical testing of hypotheses. Sure, it is difficult to control a lot of the variables involved, bias is more of an issue, and, as a natural scientist, I wouldn't touch some of their methods with a barge pole, but it does involve the application of the scientific method.
ShotsFired-9941
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zkhan54)
It's so unfair. I love phycology. Why isn't it regarded as a science?
P-s-y-c-h-o-l-o-g-y. Psychology.

And human behavior is not a science.
Synonym
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
does anyone know where to get the 2015 aqa psychology paper from ? thanks
PusE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For a science to be a science it must obey the following:
Obtain objective, empirical data, ie data that you can visually see and is a measure of cause and effect. Most of psychology is subjective and down to interpretation. There is no clear white or black answer.
Repeatability: for scientific experiments to be valid they must be repeatable. Most psychology experiments are in the form of case studies or such experiments where the participants have individual differences, therefore these cannot be repeated accurately.
Reproducibility: closely linked with the above, you cannot obtain the same results using different people or in a different time period.
Peer review: most scientific data has been peer reviewed and are published in scientific journals, articles etc. Whereas although some psychology data are in scientific publications not all are peer reviewed. You find most psychology related information online, in magazines etc, places where peer review doesn't occur.

There are more characteristics of science and pseudoscience (which psychology comes under), but I can't think of them right now
zana54
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ShotsFired-9941)

sorry, shots fired. People make mistakes and that was simple spelling error dude.
The Blue Axolotl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ShotsFired-9941)

Biology has human behaviour components in it. Biology is definitely a science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads