Turn on thread page Beta

went ok for me , there were some trickie parts in both, but hopefully will do ok

ReputationRep:
    curse you....i was only sitting synoptic and i know i've made a few foolish mistakes. My only bid downfall was that "two experiments to show there are 3 different radiation types". I could only think of the experiment to do with penetrative ability - paper and aluminium...you know the routine.
    I just completly forgot the other experiment with the magnetic field spiralling - or indeed the deflection between charged plated - i was thinking about the charge, but stupidly didnt think of either of those. Oh well, 2 or 3 marks lost there. Along with probably 8 marks from stupid mistakes - i might have just scraped an A as long as i wasnt too much of an idiot on the microwave question, yuck it was, YUCK!

(Original post by Willa)
    curse you....i was only sitting synoptic and i know i've made a few foolish mistakes. My only bid downfall was that "two experiments to show there are 3 different radiation types". I could only think of the experiment to do with penetrative ability - paper and aluminium...you know the routine.
    I just completly forgot the other experiment with the magnetic field spiralling - or indeed the deflection between charged plated - i was thinking about the charge, but stupidly didnt think of either of those. Oh well, 2 or 3 marks lost there. Along with probably 8 marks from stupid mistakes - i might have just scraped an A as long as i wasnt too much of an idiot on the microwave question, yuck it was, YUCK!
    yeah the experiment question was weird ! i was going to do the paper/lead experiment but alls that is showing is how much penetrability each radiation has!!!!!, not where they come from!

ReputationRep:
    i lost hugh marks on the graph, stupidly drew graph wrong way round

ReputationRep:
    I thought both exams were pure evil. I know I have done terribly. Hope I don't have to retake any physics exams in my gap year, as that would be seriously depressing. That question on UC with the graphs was nasty, I just couldn't think!

And why is it quicker to heat a cassrole on a ring than in a microwave? I said because the microwave would heat up some parts of the casserole faster than others, so you'd need to keep stopping the microwave and mixing the casserole, which takes up time! One of my friends wrote that "Casseroles will not fit into a microwave, so you'd have to transfer it to a few smaller container and cook each one separately, thus taking more time." Hehe, that's funny!

I didn't like either exam. I didn't like the very last question on FFE either. IT was really hard to explain why the big ball doesn't bounce off the little one. Oh well, it's over now. Life sucks, I'm a failure, but I don't care. I got no offers from Uni's for 2004 so I have no conditions for grades. Such a lovely thought! But i still want to do reasonably well, a B is what I need really. We'll see won't we!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just did those two papers and I thought it was OK. The whole queston about the microwaves was a bit strange - quite a bit of AS stuff I thought (like standing waves).

The FFE paper wasn't too bad, though I found trying to explain the whole small/large particle collision thing confusing.

As for the 'Two Experiments' question - I didn't think they gave you enough room to fit in a decent explanation, so hopefully you didn't need to be too specific about it, just get the general idea.

From the sounds of it nobody found it rediculously easy which is probably good news for the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    but people seem to have done reasonably well on it - whic is still worrying.

i'm still thinking that the two experiments are penetration and the electric/magnetic field deflection. Penetration experiment must be allowed because it does show that there are 3 different types - those that get stopped by paper, those that get stopped by aluminium/lead, and that go straight through. Just like in electric/magnetic field question: those that bend one way, those that bend other way, those that dont bend at all. I'm pretty sure the 5 marks are divded up like this:

Magnetic/Electric Field: 1 Mark
    Alpha bend one way, Beta the other, Gamma not at all: 1 Mark
    Alpha stopped by paper, Beta by aluminium/lead, Gamma Not at all/by thick concrete: 1 mark
    Describing experiments with a reasonable amount of accuracy: 2 marks (one for each)

so hopefully i'll have picked up 2 (maybe 3) marks for my penetration experiment description

ReputationRep:
    yeh they were both hard.
    the ffe momentum question was a gift. but the graphs! how did most people draw the graphs? there was tension with time, force with time, grav field with distance
    hopefully its 25/90 for a pass!

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was tension with extension and force with distance!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i thought it was tension with extension and force with distance!?
    oh yeh it was.
    did anyone have 3 graphs that looked the same?

ReputationRep:
    i got this:

graph 1: a sort of wiggle - steep then shallow then steep again
    graph 2: almost straight horizontal line to start with, then curves down to a low straight line (still takes force to act against gravity pulling down on weed)
    graph 3: typical 1/r^2 curve
    graph 4: straight horizontal line
    graph 5: same as graph 3

ReputationRep:
    1/r^2...is that exponential graph? The one with the constant half life that never reaches zero? If so, yay! I did that!

For me I did:

1) Directly propotional straight line up going through origin
    2) Starts high, goes downwards, and then falls to zero rapidly when weed is fully pulled out.
    3) Exponential
    4) Straight line starting high, finishing low.
    5) Exponential

I had to guess 1,2 and 4, so hopefully I've at least got 3 and 5 right!

ReputationRep:
    one question said show the graph is exponential. what you meant to write? i just wrote it never reaches zero and you have to draw a tangent for the gradient???
    what do people think theyve got out of the 510 marks theyve done already?

ReputationRep:
    are you sure you're talking about the same paper...i dont remember an exponential quesiton! unless you're talking about ffe

ReputationRep:
    i failed

DAMNIT

How am i meant to know how much power a kettle uses

i need a syllabus to study from damnit

now i need 90/90 on Nuc and particle physics for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    are you sure you're talking about the same paper...i dont remember an exponential quesiton! unless you're talking about ffe
    oh yeh it was on ffe.
    so u only done uc?
    i put 10ms^-1 for the sprinter, R=1500ohms?, power of kettle=300W? kinetic energy 3500J?

ReputationRep:
    those sound reasonable to me.

for the kettle i did 1kg of water boiled in 2 mins (seems a bit unrealistic now i guess) so P =2.7kW. You still get the mark because you've justified the answer.
    Sprinter: 10m/s
    Car: 22m/s
    Sprinter KE: 2500J (he's a lightweight sprinter :P)
    Bulb: 50W at 240V, so i said 1125ohms

so our answers are similar, and yours dont sound unrealistic, i'm sure youve got all the marks there!

ReputationRep:
    i did both today... I thought FFE was better than I expected it to be- i mean i could work it out- i was a bit pushed for time though- wouldve maybe liked 10 minutes more just to check everything again. I know I dropped a few marks here and there but hopefully I got a B in that paper. I thought UC was terrible, what was that crazy microwave question about- and that radioactivity thing? dammmit!
    Oh yeah, in FFE, how do alpha particles lose their KE? Luckily that was the only question I guessed.
    Just got cosmo to look forward to now ! As well as 5 exams next week, 2 on my 18th bday! heh

ReputationRep:
    Well lol wasn't the best exam I've ever done! but it could have gone much worse! the graph thing threw me! and the first question was so random!! and microwaves?! lol but other than that....! it was ok. I need a C to get a B overall (which is what i need for uni) so hopefully i managed that!

ReputationRep:
    why is it quicker to use microwave?
    why about the hot plate?
    and why about the casserole?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.