Bubblybabybling
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So if you had to define them what would your definition be? What exactly is their function and why are they so important?
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
C'mon dude - Wikipedia would tell you this in about three seconds.

The afferent arteriole is the one that carries blood into the glomerulus, where it gets filtered; efferent carries it out of the glomerulus. The cells lining the afferent arteriole can release renin when they detect low blood pressure, which activates the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS), which ultimately pushes blood pressure back up. The efferent arteriole can constrict, when needed (i.e. in the event of peripheral vasoconstriction), to make sure there's enough pressure in the glomerulus to filter blood adequately.
Bubblybabybling
Rep:
?
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
C'mon dude - Wikipedia would tell you this in about three seconds.

The afferent arteriole is the one that carries blood into the glomerulus, where it gets filtered; efferent carries it out of the glomerulus. The cells lining the afferent arteriole can release renin when they detect low blood pressure, which activates the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS), which ultimately pushes blood pressure back up. The efferent arteriole can constrict, when needed (i.e. in the event of peripheral vasoconstriction), to make sure there's enough pressure in the glomerulus to filter blood adequately.
Dont trust wiki
Do the afferant branch from renal artery and efferent branch to renal vein?

Tanx
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bubblybabybling)
Dont trust wiki
Do the afferant branch from renal artery and efferent branch to renal vein?

Tanx
Wikipedia is one of the more reliable sources for this kind of thing, believe it or not, because it's so frequently reviewed and amended. I wouldn't cite it if I was writing an essay, but it's more than adequate for this kind of thing. Or there's Medscape if you want something more science-y.

The afferent arterioles don't come directly from the renal artery, and the efferent arterioles don't drain straight into the renal vein; there are a number of other vessels in between. But yes, that is the general direction that things go in.
Shayhay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The afferrent arteriole is larger in width, allowing blood to flow at a greater pressure. This is what causes the filtration of the components of the blood and how the glucose/amino acids etc are filtered through the renal capsule.
The efferent arteriole receives this high pressure of blood, and takes it away from the renal capsule, as this would now contain the substances that couldn't be filtered in a normal working kidney eg the proteins, erythrocytes
Bubblybabybling
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shayhay)
The afferrent arteriole is larger in width, allowing blood to flow at a greater pressure. This is what causes the filtration of the components of the blood and how the glucose/amino acids etc are filtered through the renal capsule.
The efferent arteriole receives this high pressure of blood, and takes it away from the renal capsule, as this would now contain the substances that couldn't be filtered in a normal working kidney eg the proteins, erythrocytes
What I dont understand is, if the afferant atriole is wider then surely the blood would be of low pressure because it has more space to spread out and move?
Shayhay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bubblybabybling)
What I dont understand is, if the afferant atriole is wider then surely the blood would be of low pressure because it has more space to spread out and move?
Oh oops, good point I meant it flows at a higher pressure into the efferent one 😅😅 sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.02%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.9%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.02%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed