A difficult interview question

Watch
matt1001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I left a position in the civil servant in September, I was there for just over a year. The job was not very challenging. I then worked for a charity for a month but it was just data entry. I am now working at a prison and I am not enjoying it as I am scared and it is a shift work. I now have an interview, What can I say when I am asked about my recent career history?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by matt1001)
I left a position in the civil servant in September, I was there for just over a year. The job was not very challenging. I then worked for a charity for a month but it was just data entry. I am now working at a prison and I am not enjoying it as I am scared and it is a shift work. I now have an interview, What can I say when I am asked about my recent career history?
It depends exactly what you are asked and exactly what the facts surrounding those roles were.

Broadly, based on what you have said

The Civil Service role didn't offer you the career progression you were hoping for, and/or a very limited range of skills and exposure to different professional environments. Though if you left without a job, that can cast doubt - hopefully you will use that for a reference, which improves how it looks.

You did the data entry job just as an interim, while considering your options. Working in the charity sector was interesting/you felt worthwhile even if it was just a short project you helped with.

The prison - you aren't comfortable in the environment - it's a very specific environment to work in, and you don't fit.

If the job you are applying for can in any way seem to be a logical step on from any of those three previous roles, then you just focus on saying how this is the next step and where you were always looking to go, you were building experience.
Miniross
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why did you leave the Civil service in the first instance, and why did you take the Prison job? - If you have good answers prepared for them then there should be no issues.

it's always about the why!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (176)
58.67%
I don't have everything I need (124)
41.33%

Watched Threads