The Student Room Group

Chances of an attack on London soon?

I was just wondering what the chances are of a terror attack in London in the next couple of weeks because I am going to London for a week to stay with a friend and we will spend a lot of time on tubes and walkng around London. I know the threat level has increased and I have read about what happened at Leytonstone station. After what happened in Paris and adding in the airstrike over Syria that was approved by our government I was just a bit paranoid that something is going to happen in London. What do you think the chance is of an attack on London in the next week?
Do you suspect you'll receive a more informed perspective from the members of TSR than MI5?

We're at the second highest level of alert.

So...em...high, or to use official terminology 'highly likely.'
(edited 8 years ago)
I have an expert in agriculture. I think it is highly potatoes.
Probably lower than your chances of dying in other ways in London.

Don't have nightmares.
The threat level was raised over a year ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The chances of you being one who dies are very slim even if the risk of terror is high. Just be vigilant and remember security in London is also very high.
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably hundreds of things in London more likely to kill you tbh.
I would avoid London altogether if you can.
I mean most opinions on TSR suddenly become facts in the minds of the users but for once I can agree with much of what has been said, of course because that's all the news seems to be focusing on, it feels like it's gonna happen any minute but in reality, there are far greater things to be worried about than act of terrorism.
Your many magnitudes more likely to die crossing the road, especially if you're not used to them and are distracted having fun with your friend haha.

Even when you take the 7/7 bombings, the biggest terror attack we've seen for a very long time, it killed around 0.0005% of the people who'd have been in London at that time. Even if something does happen, you're overwhelmingly likely to be absolutely fine.

What's actually worth thinking about with the high threat level is the increased potential for short-term travel disruption since any even minor alert will need to be investigated very thoroughly. Make sure you bring water with you when you travel, as the tube can be pretty hot in parts even in mid-winter particularly when busy.
'In the next week' - What sort of answer are you expecting? Bet365 giving odds of 6/1 for new customers? William Hill trebling the odds if you guess the correct tube station?

As has been said, the threat level is at 'severe', meaning an attack is highly likely. Doesn't mean it's likely you'll be caught up in it if it does happen. Just go about your business as normal and don't let the ***** stop you living your life.
Reply 11
The Jainists and Confucians have London as a prime target, I would be worried if I were you
Original post by Wilfred Little
'In the next week' - What sort of answer are you expecting? Bet365 giving odds of 6/1 for new customers? William Hill trebling the odds if you guess the correct tube station?

Quite macabre but I wonder if you can bet on such a thing? I know bookies can at times accept quite obscure bets. Obviously MI5 may pay a visit, but you can always buy the round with your winnings.

Anyway I do think we'll have something in a major city soon.

OP if you want to protect yourself learn a few basic facts on Muhammad (names of family members mainly) and maybe the equivalent of the Lords prayer in the Qu'ran? Some instances of attacks seem to have had a theme of quizzing people on basic information to see if they're Muslim.

Or pro tip, if you're hiding behind a door in a room and manage to pick up a heavy object, when one passes you for god sake don't hit them once and drop the thing, hit and hit and hit until you can feel the skull cave in, don't leave them after one and assume they're subdued.
Original post by joey11223
Quite macabre but I wonder if you can bet on such a thing? I know bookies can at times accept quite obscure bets. Obviously MI5 may pay a visit, but you can always buy the round with your winnings.

Pretty much. I think bookies were taking bets on whether Felix Baumgartner would survive when he jumped out that balloon.

Anyway I do think we'll have something in a major city soon.

As do I unfortunately.

Or pro tip, if you're hiding behind a door in a room and manage to pick up a heavy object, when one passes you for god sake don't hit them once and drop the thing, hit and hit and hit until you can feel the skull cave in, don't leave them after one and assume they're subdued.

I was watching this video the other day:

There is a UK version that's been made but it hasn't been released apparently, it's meant to be better than this one. I'm edgy just watching that, I reckon I'd melt if I was in a shooting for real.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I reckon I'd melt if I was in a shooting for real.

I honestly don't know what I'd do, especially if you knew they were searching room by room type of thing. I somehow think I'd either hide with others or be the one hiding behind something and jump out at them.

I mean twice in situations where I've faced a potential threat I've acted would what probably be thought of as idiotically.

Once I was home alone for a few days, not a kid, probably 18? Anyhow there's big crash and some banging from downstairs. I went downstairs very slowly, there was another smaller noise, coming from the living room. I snuck past it and went into the kitchen (didn't turn on lights though some light filtered in because we have street lighting right outside). I grabbed two knives from the block, biggest one I could see and a smaller one. The living room door was wide open, I plunged the large knife through the gap in the door, in case anything was hiding behind it. Then hit the light switch and ran it brandishing both knives. What the **** I thought was going to go down if there had been an intruder I don't know, turned out my cat had managed to somehow knock over a heavy object which had fallen from a height and sent other things rolling off a table.

Second was earlier this year at work. We had security guys come to collect money, but generally only one regular guy came, this was two guys I didn't recognize, had all the kit on though, also they didn't seem very familiar with what they were doing. Duty manager (a female) took them upstairs to the safe and I went along as you have two up there, however there was an urgent call for someone to come down so I sealed the notes into the bag and left her to do the change since I don't check that. Anyhow this usually only took another minute or two max, it had been over 5 which I thought was odd. Instantly what goes through my mind? What if they're raping her. Great view on humanity lol. So I grab a lump hammer we have lying around the back and run upstairs, they come down laughing together and look me weirded out, made some excuse as to why I had the hammer lol, but again, my reaction despite not being physically strongly built, is to engage with a weapon.

Different situation when you're facing automatic weapons though.
My hometown is London, but I currently live in Bristol, so I'm not too worried about potential terrorist attacks.

My family who live in London are becoming increasingly distressed about it.

You can say "You're more likely to die in a car crash than be caught up in an attack" all you like, when it happens to other people in hurts you too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending