is israel part of europe? Watch

This discussion is closed.
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
NO ITS NOT PART OF EUROPE OR THE MIDDLE EAST...THEYRE JUST WANNABES. THEYRE PART OF THE 'AXIS OF EVIL'...replaced Iraq..
btw swafta...that song is ****...how did they win?!
i agree crap song
the eurovision isnt fair
swatfa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
NO ITS NOT PART OF EUROPE OR THE MIDDLE EAST...THEYRE JUST WANNABES. THEYRE PART OF THE 'AXIS OF EVIL'...replaced Iraq..
I absolutly agree with you
kriztinae
Rep:
?
(Original post by swatfa)
they won in 98 with a diff song....the one i displayed is from this year where they were semi-finalists......in my opinion all songs in the eurovision were horrendously crap, and the winners only won cause they showed 'extra skin'
yeah most of the time the songs arent very good
but its the people that vote
its bound to be unfair
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the winner this year was ukraine....'the zena warrior spoof.'
here is the video: http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/Ukraine04.wmv
kriztinae
Rep:
?
the winner this year was ukraine....'the zena warrior spoof.'
here is the video: http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/Ukraine04.wmv
i remember it was an ok song
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
i remember it was an ok song
ok, but i maintain it won because of the half dressed women jumping around
kriztinae
Rep:
?
ok, but i maintain it won because of the half dressed women jumping around
yes of course!
the cypriot song was nicer! she was 16 and very sweet!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isreal is in Asia. Russia is in Europe.
zombie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Isreal is in Asia. Russia is in Europe.
Thing is, I've always thought of Israel as European because well, Jewish people could probably be described as more European in their customs an stuff than Arabic. Like Russia, they're obviously more European than Oriental/Indian/Arabic even though they border those countries too. Same deal with Turkey, they're not an Arabic state are they? At least they aren't governed by Shia law (is that what they call it when they base their laws on the Koran or whatever?
kriztinae
Rep:
?
(Original post by zombie)
Thing is, I've always thought of Israel as European because well, Jewish people could probably be described as more European in their customs an stuff than Arabic. Like Russia, they're obviously more European than Oriental/Indian/Arabic even though they border those countries too. Same deal with Turkey, they're not an Arabic state are they? At least they aren't governed by Shia law (is that what they call it when they base their laws on the Koran or whatever?
not all arabic countreis are governed by the shia law or watever it is
thats little naive to believe that
plus if you consider people european because of the way they look thats being silly, its based on the region your on is it not?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't it actually based on language families? Just a thought.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Isn't it actually based on language families? Just a thought.
this is getting political, but if israel is so similar to europeans in europe... shouldnt it be situated in europe instead of the middle east?
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'shar'iah' law

described as more European in their customs an stuff than Arabic
silly remark, define customs, what? arabs sit in little caves trying to invent fire whilst israelis drive english cars? Its got nothing to do with shariah law. There are some arab countries which dont follow the law, and places like the emirates (dubai) has bars and night clubs and has many brit expatriates yet its not considered european.

Like Russia, they're obviously more European than Oriental/Indian/Arabic even though they border those countries too.
Look at map, then say that again, Check where russia is then check where israel is. I dont see whats so obvious about it, what makes them obviously more european then the arabs? if anything their religion and customs are closer to muslims. e.g no eating pork etc.

Language? Most of their words are shared with the arabic language

Foods? they eat fish and chips? is that why theyre more european? actually even their food is similar to other middle eastern food.
zombie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
not all arabic countreis are governed by the shia law or watever it is
thats little naive to believe that
plus if you consider people european because of the way they look thats being silly, its based on the region your on is it not?
No, I don't believe all Arabic countries are governed by Shia law, but when they're blatantly not (as in the case of Israel and Russia) then I believe it can be a deciding factor.

I didn't make any mention of race in my post, so when you wrote it's silly to decide this on the way that they look I've gotta say I agree. Southern Europeans are generally quite noticably different from Northern Europeans so yeah, there's no point in using that as a deciding factor...

But, I still do think Jewish people are closer in their culture to Europeans than Arabs... just the way it is. And in borderline cases I don't think that's a silly way to judge it.
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, I don't believe all Arabic countries are governed by Shia law, but when they're blatantly not (as in the case of Israel and Russia) then I believe it can be a deciding factor.

I didn't make any mention of race in my post, so when you wrote it's silly to decide this on the way that they look I've gotta say I agree. Southern Europeans are generally quite noticably different from Northern Europeans so yeah, there's no point in using that as a deciding factor...

But, I still do think Jewish people are closer in their culture to Europeans than Arabs... just the way it is. And in borderline cases I don't think that's a silly way to judge it.

what silly rubbish.....'just the way it is' what kind of crap remark is that? why is it 'jst the way it is?'
kriztinae
Rep:
?

then shouldnt israel be situated in europe instead of the middle east tho?
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
heres a map of europe

http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/eu.htm

(Original post by dumb)
But, I still do think Jewish people are closer in their culture to Europeans than Arabs... just the way it is
btw, isnt australia closer in its culture than israel is? why not make australians european? Do they follow shari'ah? or maybe its because they watch neighbours?
zombie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
'shar'iah' law

Oh sh!t... knew I was treading on eggshells here but seeing as I started it......

silly remark, define customs, what? arabs sit in little caves trying to invent fire whilst israelis drive english cars? Its got nothing to do with shariah law. There are some arab countries which dont follow the law, and places like the emirates (dubai) has bars and night clubs and has many brit expatriates yet its not considered european.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder you know that? In no way did I insinuate Arabs are less technologically adept than Israelis... please, I know my history and try not bear prejudices - don't assume I do. As for the UAE, well, if you've ever been there you'll have noticed the locals have customs which are wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from those in Europe. There's no denying that.

Look at map, then say that again, Check where russia is then check where israel is. I dont see whats so obvious about it, what makes them obviously more european then the arabs? if anything their religion and customs are closer to muslims. e.g no eating pork etc.

Okay, Russia is less of a problem than Israel is granted seeing as it does border other European coutries, whereas Israel doesn't. Still, I maintain Jews are more European than Arabic. They may not eat pork, but they listen to Western music (okay, I'm not saying that people in Arabic countries don't), wear western clothes (vast majority of people even in countries like the UAE DO wear robes an stuff)an I can't be bothered to think of any more examples!

Language? Most of their words are shared with the arabic language

I didn't say nowt about language... so don't put words in my mouth (unintentional pun)!!!

Foods? they eat fish and chips? is that why theyre more european? actually even their food is similar to other middle eastern food.

Yup, their food is more Arabic than anything... an it's lovely.
swatfa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
first of all edit your quotes cause it seems like i wrote half the garbage from ur side. Second of all you havent answered why australians are not european. If its a culture factor which indeed makes you european then

A) What about Australia?
B) You think Turkey adapts a more 'european' culture? hmm i wonder where those Fez hats where doing there
C) Kazakhstan and Tartastan are european and they are muslim and adopt the shariah and their culture is no different then the other arabs/muslim countries in the world..Based on ur silly remark, lets strip them from europe and replace them with australia
zombie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what silly rubbish.....'just the way it is' what kind of crap remark is that? why is it 'jst the way it is?'
Look, I've been to Dubai, which could hardly in itself be described as hardcore arab could it, and I've been to Israel... now I got 2 distinctly different vibes from those places. I'm basing this on experience. It's my OPINION. You don't have to agree.

Now I have to go to work so whatever. Like I said, it's my opinion.

Seems to me like somebody's got a hidden agenda.. or not so hidden.

Must CALM downnnn...............grrrrrrr

a very sensitive issue for me......
visit most websites and its always located in the european section....but what really PISSES me off....is palestine WAS the country....and israelis joined it in the same way you may regard the kozovan refugees or romanians entering UK........
Now....israel is a recognised state but PALESTINE??? where the hell is it in all the website drop down choices? it doesnt exist.....imagine UK being deleted and Kosovo 2 replacing it!!!!!!!! oh the ***** that ppl get away with in this world. I personally choose to ignore it.....when it joins eurovision or 'several' other european events i just laugh. And when someone asks me about israel i just say 'never heard of it, perhaps you mean PALESTINE.''
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (985)
79.31%
Leave (257)
20.69%

Watched Threads