Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    first of all edit your quotes cause it seems like i wrote half the garbage from ur side.
    Some of us are in a rush, and anyone with half a brain would figure out the green writing was mine (as you did).

Second of all you havent answered why australians are not european.
    Because they're not a borderline case. It's clear cut for them, they're halfway across the globe.

ReputationRep:
    then when you do finish from work perhaps u can answer the other qs

if its a culture factor which indeed makes you european then

continued...

B) You think Turkey adapts a more 'european' culture? hmm i wonder where those Fez hats where doing there
    C) Kazakhstan and Tartastan are european and they are muslim and adopt the shariah and their culture is no different then the other arabs/muslim countries in the world..Based on ur silly remark, lets strip them from europe and replace them with australia

(Original post by zombie)
    Seems to me like somebody's got a hidden agenda.. or not so hidden.
    yes i admit it does piss me of, and what pisses me of is you post very silly arrogant arguments which dont make sense, like i said if indeed europeans all share the same culture and thats what defines whether ur regarded as european or not then, why make a borderline case with australia like you said? and why do places which have nothing in common with 'western' culture european as the aforementioned locations. If your argument is the real basis of choosing what is regarded as european or not then europe has some filtering to do with 'ALOT' of countries which dont adopt the culture you speak of. Your post is just plain rubbish to put it simply, im happy to provide logical evidence for what i believe but your answers are limited mostly to 'just because it is' and 'because of borderlines' silly and stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    but turkey is half in europe so slight difference there rite?
    surely if israel can take part in the eurovision and euro 2004 so can all the other arab countries?
    Turkey is 10% in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    then when you do finish from work perhaps u can answer the other qs

if its a culture factor which indeed makes you european then

continued...

B) You think Turkey adapts a more 'european' culture? hmm i wonder where those Fez hats where doing there
    C) Kazakhstan and Tartastan are european and they are muslim and adopt the shariah and their culture is no different then the other arabs/muslim countries in the world..Based on ur silly remark, lets strip them from europe and replace them with australia
    Got time now ...

At the end of the day, I think it's a combination of factors which make a country 'European'.

In Turkey's case, well, they're closer to Europe 'proper' than Israel, but have a more Arabic culture right? Well, I'd say that, combined with the fact that they've actually been pushing to be involved in the EU makes them European...

Had no idea Kazakhstan and Tartastan are part of the EU/considered European. I don't really think of them that way... but maybe it's because they were part of the USSR I think??

I'm not really saying what I think is the absolute truth, because it's all relative. Like you think Israel should actually be called Palestine an all that, you're obviously going to think it's not part of Europe so yeh.. it's all opinions really.

Plus, politics and old alliances... anyway, somebody must agree with me because Russia, Israel and Turkey are all considered European so neh.

Okay, now I really don't have any time!

ReputationRep:
    yes i admit it does piss me of, and what pisses me of is you post very silly arrogant arguments which dont make sense, like i said if indeed europeans all share the same culture and thats what defines whether ur regarded as european or not then, why make a borderline case with australia like you said? and why do places which have nothing in common with 'western' culture european as the aforementioned locations. If your argument is the real basis of choosing what is regarded as european or not then europe has some filtering to do with 'ALOT' of countries which dont adopt the culture you speak of. Your post is just plain rubbish to put it simply, im happy to provide logical evidence for what i believe but your answers are limited mostly to 'just because it is' and 'because of borderlines' silly and stupid
    Alright then, that's your opinion. I think we're jus going to have to agree to disagree - you obviously think my reasons are rubbish, and I'm not too swayed by yours.

You're obviously very passionate about this subject and have done a lot of research and looked into it in detail. I don't think my comments were stupid, but I base a lot of my views on personal experiences of mine which I'm perhaps not brilliant at articulating.

I'm putting this argument to bed now.

ReputationRep:
    Got time now ...

At the end of the day, I think it's a combination of factors which make a country 'European'.

In Turkey's case, well, they're closer to Europe 'proper' than Israel, but have a more Arabic culture right? Well, I'd say that, combined with the fact that they've actually been pushing to be involved in the EU makes them European...

Had no idea Kazakhstan and Tartastan are part of the EU/considered European. I don't really think of them that way... but maybe it's because they were part of the USSR I think??

I'm not really saying what I think is the absolute truth, because it's all relative. Like you think Israel should actually be called Palestine an all that, you're obviously going to think it's not part of Europe so yeh.. it's all opinions really.

Plus, politics and old alliances... anyway, somebody must agree with me because Russia, Israel and Turkey are all considered European so neh.

Okay, now I really don't have any time!
    im not basing it on the fact that it should be called palestine, im basing it on common sense, your theory of cultures is what makes you european or not is WRONG the fact that you dont know about tartastan or kazakhstan just shows that your post have no knowledge in them, add azerbaijan to the list, muslim, arab tradition and culture and yet its european, your 'Culture' theory already went down the drain a few posts ago, not because of what i believe but because what ur saying contradicts the actual scenario.

'it's all opinions really.'

no not really, some things are facts and some things are opinions such as fact:azerbaijain doesnt hold the western traditions you speak of yet its european, its not my opinion, its a fact.

''combined with the fact that they've actually been pushing to be involved in the EU makes them European...''

which comes back to my original post, that Israel 'wants' to be european

ReputationRep:
    See my above post.

ReputationRep:
    Alright then, that's your opinion. I think we're jus going to have to agree to disagree - you obviously think my reasons are rubbish, and I'm not too swayed by yours.

You're obviously very passionate about this subject and have done a lot of research and looked into it in detail. I don't think my comments were stupid, but I base a lot of my views on personal experiences of mine which I'm perhaps not brilliant at articulating.

I'm putting this argument to bed now.

personal experiences? how does that relate to what is considered european or not, btw regardless of how i feel about this subject everything ive posted is based on common sense and logic, your the one who's basing it on opinion, everything you said contradicts the countries which are european and yet dont adopt 'european' culture.

''I'm putting this argument to bed now''

thats very wise for you. Dont argue without logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Israel is in the US isn't it?

MB
    yep, it is. actually it is an american state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol ya its a slightly smaller start on the flag, microscopic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Turkey is 10% in Europe.
    is that all
    oh i thought it was more like 30% or something
    bt yea ok its still in europe and so it can be considered in the eurovision and euro 2004
    any idea why israel when it isnt in anyway part of europe?

ReputationRep:
    personal experiences? how does that relate to what is considered european or not, btw regardless of how i feel about this subject everything ive posted is based on common sense and logic, your the one who's basing it on opinion, everything you said contradicts the countries which are european and yet dont adopt 'european' culture.

''I'm putting this argument to bed now''

thats very wise for you. Dont argue without logic.
    Omg, can you not just leave something be????????

I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL THROUGH THAT THIS IS MY OPINION, BASED ON EXPERIENCES so what are you trying to do by saying my argument is based on opinion? I know it is!

To be honest mate, I don't agree with you, just like you don't agree with me. And thanks, I know it's wise of me to let this lie... don't beat a dead dog an all that.

ReputationRep:

I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL THROUGH THAT THIS IS MY OPINION, BASED ON EXPERIENCES so what are you trying to do by saying my argument is based on opinion? I know it is!

To be honest mate, I don't agree with you, just like you don't agree with me. And thanks, I know it's wise of me to let this lie... don't beat a dead dog an all that.
    shh put the argument back to sleep, it was better there

ReputationRep:

chill out!
    just both of you drop the subject of arguing
    Agree to disagree, but i agree with both of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    chill out!
    just both of you drop the subject of arguing
    Agree to disagree, but i agree with both of you
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    agreed
    yeey i can feel the love!

ReputationRep:
    *responding to thorns and roses*
    Thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard
    he was mostly joking...i think

ReputationRep:
    he was mostly joking...i think
    knowing her, probably not

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.