Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    knowing her, probably not
    dont assume, this thread wasnt meant to offend anyone, so any offensive posts can be ignored.
    dont worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    ok well israel takes part in numerous european events such as the eurovision and euro 204 etc etc
    but how come?? isnt it part of the middle east?

p.s. this isnt meant to offend anyone, no jews and no palestinians, so dont take it in an offensive way im just curious
    As far as I know, Israel takes part in European sporting events because it is too dangerous to place them in the same region as its neighboring countries. I mean imagine Lebenon playing Israel in a World Cup Qualifier!! For many many years Israel played their qualifiers in the AUSTRALASIAN group, as it was felt it was safest for them, until they were officially elected to UEFA in the 70's or 80's.

99% sure that is the answer you are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    As far as I know, Israel takes part in European sporting events because it is too dangerous to place them in the same region as its neighboring countries. I mean imagine Lebenon playing Israel in a World Cup Qualifier!! For many many years Israel played their qualifiers in the AUSTRALASIAN group, as it was felt it was safest for them, until they were officially elected to UEFA in the 70's or 80's.

99% sure that is the answer you are looking for!
    hmm never thought of it that way! but there are quite a few israeli arabs that play for the football team... and other sporting events...
    how about why they take part in the eurovision??
    that is officially a euro thing, no other countries tend to have it, if u get what i mean

ReputationRep:
    hmm never thought of it that way! but there are quite a few israeli arabs that play for the football team... and other sporting events...
    how about why they take part in the eurovision??
    that is officially a euro thing, no other countries tend to have it, if u get what i mean
    You may have heard next year an Arab team will be representing Israel in the UEFA cup (where Hapoel Tel-Aviv did well a few years ago) next year. Quite a positive move actually - may help bring the two communities together, not least because a number of the team's players are Israeli Jews. I can't remember the team's name, unfortunately. They qualified for the UEFA Cup by winning the Israeli Cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    You may have heard next year an Arab team will be representing Israel in the UEFA cup (where Hapoel Tel-Aviv did well a few years ago) next year. Quite a positive move actually - may help bring the two communities together, not least because a number of the team's players are Israeli Jews. I can't remember the team's name, unfortunately. They qualified for the UEFA Cup by winning the Israeli Cup.
    hmm i never heard that, but yeah positive step
    i think there should be more competitions, not sporting as it is violent and stuff, but like music, or talents in the middle east area bringing the people together! stuff the polititans!

ReputationRep:
    hmm i never heard that, but yeah positive step
    i think there should be more competitions, not sporting as it is violent and stuff, but like music, or talents in the middle east area bringing the people together! stuff the polititans!
    Thing is it's a security nightmare. Wherever you held it, be it inIsrael or an Arab country, the site would become target number one for suicide bombers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Thing is it's a security nightmare. Wherever you held it, be it inIsrael or an Arab country, the site would become target number one for suicide bombers.
    yeah but you have to start somewhere
    and it doent have to be a huge competition thing

ReputationRep:
    yeah but you have to start somewhere
    and it doent have to be a huge competition thing
    There are quite a few joint ventures in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. After all, the two communities do live amongst each other, so there has to be some cooperation occasionally. One of the most publicised group is one of bereaved families from both sides campaigning for peace. I'm not aware of any similar ventures between Israel and Jordan or Egypt, though there may be; I know Mubarrak helped recover those stolen bodies about a month ago, but that's more diplomatic cooperation. The problem is, in my view, that many of the Arab governments don't want cooperation because Israel's democracy is a threat to them. It's a bit like the Commmunists not wanting their peoples to know about the West. Mubarrak has been in power for 22 years I think, Assad inherited the presidency from his father who'd held it for at least 30 years; the House of Saud is simply an out and out unelected monarchy. In Israel, Prime Ministers change every few years; I don't think many Arab leaders want their peoples to get familiar with the idea of change at the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    There are quite a few joint ventures in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. After all, the two communities do live amongst each other, so there has to be some cooperation occasionally. One of the most publicised group is one of bereaved families from both sides campaigning for peace. I'm not aware of any similar ventures between Israel and Jordan or Egypt, though there may be; I know Mubarrak helped recover those stolen bodies about a month ago, but that's more diplomatic cooperation. The problem is, in my view, that many of the Arab governments don't want cooperation because Israel's democracy is a threat to them. It's a bit like the Commmunists not wanting their peoples to know about the West. Mubarrak has been in power for 22 years I think, Assad inherited the presidency from his father who'd held it for at least 30 years; the House of Saud is simply an out and out unelected monarchy. In Israel, Prime Ministers change every few years; I don't think many Arab leaders want their peoples to get familiar with the idea of change at the top.
    i dont think the arab countires see israel as a threat anymore, just unfair
    i disagree when you say the arab leaders want their people to get familiar with the change at the top. thats just wrong.
    lebanon for example has a president that gets elected by the people
    you are generalising
    if anything it is the people that are scared of changing leaders coz they feel safer that way
    when the jordanian king died and his son came to power the people were scared, the advisors were the same, but the main head was different. most people are scared of change.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think the arab countires see israel as a threat anymore, just unfair
    i disagree when you say the arab leaders want their people to get familiar with the change at the top. thats just wrong.
    lebanon for example has a president that gets elected by the people
    you are generalising
    if anything it is the people that are scared of changing leaders coz they feel safer that way
    when the jordanian king died and his son came to power the people were scared, the advisors were the same, but the main head was different. most people are scared of change.
    I don't think I suggested all Arab countries were like this; I did refer to specific examples. Sorry if I was unclear though. I agree with your comments about Lebanon and Jordan; the latter in particular seems to have a government committed to reform. Surely, however, when you see elections in countries like Syria and Egypt where the ruler receives 98.7% of the vote, you can tell the man in charge is just reinforcing his position? If not, why does Egypt's government treat potential opponents so roughly? Why are no other parties permitted in Syrian elections? In my view, there is no question that these are rulers determined to hold onto power, and the Israeli situation, where Prime Ministers have often resigned or even been forced out, is a threat to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I don't think I suggested all Arab countries were like this; I did refer to specific examples. Sorry if I was unclear though. I agree with your comments about Lebanon and Jordan; the latter in particular seems to have a government committed to reform. Surely, however, when you see elections in countries like Syria and Egypt where the ruler receives 98.7% of the vote, you can tell the man in charge is just reinforcing his position? If not, why does Egypt's government treat potential opponents so roughly? Why are no other parties permitted in Syrian elections? In my view, there is no question that these are rulers determined to hold onto power, and the Israeli situation, where Prime Ministers have often resigned or even been forced out, is a threat to them.
    i agree they shouldnt be held onto power
    in the case of syria that was ridiculous
    in the case of egypt, i dont know, the peopl seem to be living happy lives so i rest my case there.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.