Proud To Be British watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    exactly.
    Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Vienna - for your benefit I have retrieved the post I was alluding to in my convoluted sentance that you had so much difficulty with.
    I sometimes become concerned at your lack of concentration, you answered this poster and yet you now completely forget the existence of it.
    Do not expect me to spoonfeed you next time when your attention becomes distracted. You are hard work sometimes :rolleyes:
    thats the post i was referring to, hence the fact i didnt understand the relevance of your comments.

'alluding', 'convoluted'. bit big for you arent they?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    There's always an excuse.
    I'm just crap at english ...and I get worse when it's a topic I'm passionate about.

ReputationRep:
    So cheap. So Tory.
    so true.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    So cheap. So Tory.
    hehehe - careful they might actually try to steal that slogan for the elction campaign.

ReputationRep:
    thats the post i was referring to, hence the fact i didnt understand the relevance of your comments.
    If you actually read the original post; it was perfectly relevant.

(Original post by yawn1)
    'alluding', 'convoluted'. bit big for you arent they?
    Don't be patronising. It doesn't suit anyone. Much less you.

ReputationRep:
    so true.
    Yes, cheapness and conservatism come hand in hand.

ReputationRep:
    There's always an excuse.
    An excuse comes about when one fails to accept a fact. Not something I'm accustomed to doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Thankyou.
    Fawnation.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt find it was. sorry.

people in glasshouses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    An excuse comes about when one fails to accept a fact. Not something I'm accustomed to doing.
    Clearly. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fawnation.
    now i get the defensiveness part..

ReputationRep:
    now i get the defensiveness part..
    HI

just thought i would say that to someone!

ReputationRep:

ooh love the big words, pity they are generally used when people wish to feel smarter or more important. dare I mention 'paradigm'? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    HI

just thought i would say that to someone!
    G'day there curryADD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    ooh love the big words, pity they are generally used when people wish to feel smarter or more important. dare I mention 'paradigm'? lol
    I was well-educated in the useage of the English language - why use lots of small words when a longer one says exactly the same thing. If you don't understand the words then a dictionary is definitely useful - it also helps one to spell correctly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    G'day there curryADD
    gday mate? rite? me dad went to high school in australia (perth) he luved it there....im going to australia this summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I was well-educated in the useage of the English language - why use lots of small words when a longer one says exactly the same thing. If you don't understand the words then a dictionary is definitely useful - it also helps one to spell correctly
    You want precision... The latin word from which 'superb' is derived means -above all others-. Small words are more powerful if the individual has a more educated understanding. Why don't you just throw some biggy like exextenialism at me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I have never experienced someone who lives in this country, for whom English is not their first language, try to address me in anything other than English. I am at a loss to know where this idea of non-native English speakers speaking to us in their own language comes from!
    This is my post that Vienna found incomprehensible. It was in response to the post that I have highlighted already for her.
    It's structure is commonplace inasmuch as if one is being presented with a complex sentence as part of a higher level of testing comprehension, this is what to expect. My post was not contrived to test anyone's level of understanding but that is certainly the result!
    Many of the quuestions on the new admission test for Oxbridge are constructed in this manner. I guess Vienna would not be a candidate for Oxbridge then?

ReputationRep:
    an yeah I realise I spelt it wrong with a typo ;P

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.