Proud To Be British Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by creativesurgeon)
I think you'll find that a minority of Irish people think that the actions of a government and it's troops (i.e. the British Para's supposedly opening fire on 'innocent' protesters), make every 'Brit' a murderer. The truth is, the whole country is not to blame, and they really should just let it go. If the para's did fire upon the protesters, then yes, THEY are guilty, but son't let it fuel a hate campaign against all British people.
The British people tend to think that the IRA terrorists who PURPOSELY killed innocent civilians are murders while having respect and common sense not to apply this to the Irish people.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
The British people tend to think that the IRA terrorists who PURPOSELY killed innocent civilians are murders while having respect and common sense not to apply this to the Irish people.
Not in my experience.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Not in my experience.
so all the British people you know hate YOU and the Irish because YOU killed us?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
so all the British people you know hate you and the Irish because YOU killed us?
I've been called a member of the IRA a lot in the past, and people have abused me for what the IRA have done.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What good is a bit of name calling? If it actually offends you, then there must be something wrong. And to think I was actually beginning to feel a certain respect for your posts. I still hope I wasn't wrong to do so.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I've been called a member of the IRA a lot in the past, and people have abused me for what the IRA have done.
I sympathise. I know quite a few people who were actually born here but have Irish names who've had to put up with this too. Evidently if you have any Irish connection at all you must be a member of the IRA. Well of course. It disgusts me.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
I sympathise. I know quite a few people who were actually born here but have Irish names who've had to put up with this too. Evidently if you have any Irish connection at all you must be a member of the IRA. Well of course. It disgusts me.
Disgusting is the word, 'sad' is another. So basically being Irish means your are guilty by association? Even then in the extreme of merely being born in the same country?
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Disgusting is the word, 'sad' is another. So basically being Irish means your are guilty by association? Even then in the extreme of merely being born in the same country?
Thats the view of the people who come out with the sort of crap that bigcnee has had to put up with. Unfortunately he's by no means the only one who's been subjected to it- I know of others who its happened to as well. Its less common now I think because Muslims have taken over as the bogeymen to quite an extent.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Thats the view of the people who come out with the sort of crap that bigcnee has had to put up with. Unfortunately he's by no means the only one who's been subjected to it- I know of others who its happened to as well. Its less common now I think because Muslims have taken over as the bogeymen to quite an extent.
a recent report by the Berlin Technical Institute on behalf of the European Monitoring Centre for Racism and Xenophobia would suggest otherwise.

incidentally, it was not published by the EU body because it didnt 'fit in' with their multicultural agenda. ie it highlighted muslims as the main offenders.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
a recent report by the Berlin Technical Institute on behalf of the European Monitoring Centre for Racism and Xenophobia would suggest otherwise.

incidentally, it was not published by the EU body because it didnt 'fit in' with their multicultural agenda. ie it highlighted muslims as the main offenders.
Which offence are we talking about? Anti-Irishness?
The perception now is often of Muslims as all terrorists- I myself know people who think like that and I'm sure most of us are aware of people who do, the sort of moron who thinks Bin Laden speaks for the billion Muslims in the world. I think a parallel can be drawn with the way that Bigcnee has been treated. Some people are so stupid that they thought all Irish people were terrorists because of the actions of a tiny minority. Sound familiar?
Are you not going to reply to my Oxbridge question then?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
The perception now is often of Muslims as all terrorists- I myself know people who think like that and I'm sure most of us are aware of people who do, the sort of moron who thinks Bin Laden speaks for the billion Muslims in the world. I think a parallel can be drawn with the way that Bigcnee has been treated. Some people are so stupid that they thought all Irish people were terrorists because of the actions of a tiny minority. Sound familiar?
well said.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
i was highlighting the fact that muslims are not the only social group to suffer and are certainly not whiter than white(pardon the pun). the report showed that they are very much the main offender in racial/ethnic attacks on other cultural groups. in this case, jews. unfortunately, although unsurprisingly, the EU went back on its plan to publish it, because it didnt give the result they wanted.

why would it sound familiar? im not Irish and ive never witnessed this.

why would i?
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i was highlighting the fact that muslims are not the only social group to suffer and are certainly not whiter than white(pardon the pun). the report showed that they are very much the main offender in racial/ethnic attacks on other cultural groups. in this case, jews. unfortunately, although unsurprisingly, the EU went back on its plan to publish it, because it didnt give the result they wanted.

why would it sound familiar? im not Irish and ive never witnessed this.

why would i?
Haven't read the report you mention so can't really comment.
It might sound familiar because its an example of entire communities being perceived to be terrorists because of a few nutters, which of course applies to Muslims. I'm talking about the trend for various imbeciles to assume all Muslims support Al Qaeda. Irish (or even just sort of Irish) people in Britain have often suffered from the same, except of course replace Al Qaeda with IRA. I'm not suggesting you must have witnessed this, just illustrating to you the parallel.
Oxbridge?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
It might sound familiar because its an example of entire communities being perceived to be terrorists because of a few nutters, which of course applies to Muslims. I'm talking about the trend for various imbeciles to assume all Muslims support Al Qaeda. Irish (or even just sort of Irish) people in Britain have often suffered from the same, except of course replace Al Qaeda with IRA. I'm not suggesting you must have witnessed this, just illustrating to you the parallel.
Oxbridge?
obviously, but you specifically mentioned the muslims as societies scapegoats. i wanted to put that in context.

oxbridge?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Oxbridge?
What is this about Vienna and Oxbridge? You are like a dog with a bone
and she is determinded not to respond for some reason :confused:
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Oxbridge?
Hmmm...shall I join in this intriguing conversation....you'll never guess what happened to me while I was at oxford for interview...somebody tried to convert me to Catholicism.. :confused: :rolleyes:
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
and she is determinded not to respond for some reason :confused:
Oxbridge??? Are you lot making up universities now?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
shes been obsessed about it for months.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Hmmm...shall I join in this intriguing conversation....you'll never guess what happened to me while I was at oxford for interview...somebody tried to convert me to Catholicism.. :confused: :rolleyes:
Interestingly enough, the Law test was about terroism
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by g_skeats)
Are you proud to be british, Yes or No?
yes,very
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (63)
14.89%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (80)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (170)
40.19%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (20)
4.73%
No particular grades needed (27)
6.38%