Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    shakespeare will be spinning in his grave if we ever spell the word colour without a u.

Ad

ReputationRep:
    When I'm around American's I'm really thankful to be British. I dunno why but I find the accent really grating. I never mind it on TV but when its right there talking at u I think hmm, british accents nicer really.

(Original post by byb3)
    shakespeare will be spinning in his grave if we ever spell the word colour without a u.

Ad
    Since he invented many words himself, he probably wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    When I'm around American's I'm really thankful to be British. I dunno why but I find the accent really grating. I never mind it on TV but when its right there talking at u I think hmm, british accents nicer really.

We had a Texan at our school and 6th Form, and she was so frustrating - not that she wasn't nice enough as a person, but just that her accent was such a drone.

We'd tried to bring her up to speed with the real roughness that is the North Notts accent, and although she picked up some bits, unless she picked it up perfectly, sounded even more ridiculous as a mixture.

ReputationRep:
    American accents sound so casual and horrifyingly nasal! I hate them. However, I hardly seem to notice when they're on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    American accents sound so casual and horrifyingly nasal! I hate them. However, I hardly seem to notice when they're on TV.
    Anybody close to a TV, turn on Channel 5 for what will be a live baseball commentary, in that awful American drone.

ReputationRep:
    i think you never notice it on tv, because the actors have the american accent trained out of them so that they can actually be understood worldwide. Also it helps the programmes being sold to english speaking countries abroad. Although if you ever watch something utter shite like WWE (which to me is the absolute worst thing the Americans have ever made) you can notice the infuriating American accent all the way through the program because it is them speaking naturally (poor them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    i think you never notice it on tv, because the actors have the american accent trained out of them so that they can actually be understood worldwide. Also it helps the programmes being sold to english speaking countries abroad. Although if you ever watch something utter shite like WWE (which to me is the absolute worst thing the Americans have ever made) you can notice the infuriating American accent all the way through the program because it is them speaking naturally (poor them).
    I've noticed a lot of American intellectuals who appear on TV/Radio do not usually have a very strong accent. So they recognise it makes them sound stupid.

To be blunt.

Am I the only one who actually likes Americans and their accents? I don't know why, but I like their strong R's and rounded A's. I like the fact that it seems so much freer and more casual than the English accent. As for American programmes on TV, I have to say I much prefer them to the English ones. I think it's because the British soaps are too 'close' to my life, so when I watch TV for escapism, I enjoy feeling that everything about the life on TV is far detached from mine. Isn't it fun saying, "only in America!" knowing that some things like ridiculous law suits or children handling guns, are not so likely to be in England as in America? That way we feel safer.

Some people say Americans are fake, but at least their fakeness lies in being nice, helpful and friendly, which is probably the best type of fakeness there is!

Regarding pride to be British.... I think patriotism in Britain has gone down shockingly so that few people can truthfully say their proud of their country. I mean, what's there to be proud of? I feel neutral on the subject, indifferent. Its just the country where I live, my home. People tend to be unfriendly on the streets, there's fear of crime, there's not so great food, there are shops like there are in other countries in the world. tell me, what is so great about britain? there's nothing i can think about which is truely british and is good! ok so maybe the buildings are unique to britain but can you really be proud of a building? and yes, we are very tollerent and have a huge mix of races living happily together, and i am proud of that, but surely that doesnt make us british. it makes us good human beings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Regarding pride to be British.... I think patriotism in Britain has gone down shockingly so that few people can truthfully say their proud of their country. I mean, what's there to be proud of? I feel neutral on the subject, indifferent. Its just the country where I live, my home. People tend to be unfriendly on the streets, there's fear of crime, there's not so great food, there are shops like there are in other countries in the world. tell me, what is so great about britain? there's nothing i can think about which is truely british and is good! ok so maybe the buildings are unique to britain but can you really be proud of a building? and yes, we are very tollerent and have a huge mix of races living happily together, and i am proud of that, but surely that doesnt make us british. it makes us good human beings!
    Even our flag has been hijacked by extreme parties like the National Front and the BNP.

ReputationRep:
    In some respects I think patriotism is bad. When you think about it real patriots like members of the BNP are racist and fascist. If your really proud of your country you tend to be selectively blind to all its flaws. Take Texans and George Bush for example. Anyone with half a brain can see he's an idiot and yet the people of Texas all voted for him simply because he's a texan. Now thats just silly people.

In some respects I think patriotism is bad. When you think about it real patriots like members of the BNP are racist and fascist. If your really proud of your country you tend to be selectively blind to all its flaws. Take Texans and George Bush for example. Anyone with half a brain can see he's an idiot and yet the people of Texas all voted for him simply because he's a texan. Now thats just silly people.
    its not JUST the peopole of texas who voted for him. he got a lot more votes than that. maybe the americans see something in him the rest of the world doesnt?

ReputationRep:
    its not JUST the peopole of texas who voted for him. he got a lot more votes than that. maybe the americans see something in him the rest of the world doesnt?
    GWB was Governor of Texas though, wasn't he? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    . maybe the americans see something in him the rest of the world doesnt?
    Don't know about the Americans, but this is what is commonly seen of George "Double-Yuh" Bush over here in the UK:

Along with the following Sound Effects:
    http://www.2dtv.co.uk/sounds/Bush_LAUGH.wav
    http://www.2dtv.co.uk/sounds/Bush_Bl...Whitehouse.wav
    http://www.2dtv.co.uk/sounds/Bush_NUCKLEHEAD.wav

lol! i LOVE 2dtv!! bush's bit is hillarious!

Proud to be English and English alone.

My how weak other nation, o sorry for finding a place for you rednecks to live.
    Sorry for letting you frogs be frogs and not Krauts.
    Sorry for letting you Nazi's be Krauts TWO NIL!
    Sorry for Keeping OUR island you argies

For Harry and ST George.

Imagine, if we were living in any other country and saw these postings we could think of lots of reasons why Britons should NOT be proud to be British! For instance, invading peaceful countries, ravaging their natural resources for our own use, denying indigenous people education, planting our own people there whilst depriving locals of their land and homes - and then, when we have depleted everything that's of use, withdrawing and saying 'There now, aren't we great, we're giving you back your country'.
    This is the history of Britain - now are we so proud?

ReputationRep:
    Imagine, if we were living in any other country and saw these postings we could think of lots of reasons why Britons should NOT be proud to be British! For instance, invading peaceful countries, ravaging their natural resources for our own use, denying indigenous people education, planting our own people there whilst depriving locals of their land and homes - and then, when we have depleted everything that's of use, withdrawing and saying 'There now, aren't we great, we're giving you back your country'.
    This is the history of Britain - now are we so proud?
    Yes, and 2% of our population are refugees/asylum seekers yet everyone thinks it is about 30% and are always complaining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Yes, and 2% of our population are refugees/asylum seekers yet everyone thinks it is about 30% and are always complaining!
    I know! People here are so unsympathetic to the cause of many genuine asylum seekers. I think we're being pretty selfish in some respects. We whinge about absolutely everything. For example the NHS. Yes its not perfect but its so much more than most other nations have so quit whinging about it. And besides, there are far more British people taking advantage of benefits than there are asylum seekers. If anything that makes me more angry because British people can work and choose not too whereas most asylum seekers can't work legally in most cases. I know loads of people thing they're bums but I think the majority of asylum seekers come here for a better way of life and they wouldn't mind working for it if we'd give them the change. We should show a bit of compassion.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.