The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vienna95
forgive me, the amount of (still unmoderated) abuse ive sustained this morning has turned my sense of humour cold.

Do the mods actually do anything on this forum, maybe apart from delete threads which do not correspond with their opinions?
Reply 141
creativesurgeon
Do the mods actually do anything on this forum, maybe apart from delete threads which do not correspond with their opinions?

i dont know. i have to say, in my experience, theres a lot of 'double standards'.
Reply 142
cirilea
I am not american and it all ok sayin u bcum part of the culture but only if u join in take asians for eg how many of them dnt speak english all the time wen infront of english ppl in our country and how many of them wear there own clothes n do not join in in british culture yet still have the cheak to call them selves british tht is wot i dnt think is right

Who would you class as a 'proper British family'? ARe you suggeesting that people in this country should only be allowed to speak English, where 'British clothes' and behave in the 'British way' way whatever that is? Is this 'Britishness' the best way? My parents were not born here but I was, does that make you British and me not? Then what am I? If you class your nationality based on your family then surely noone can define where they come from, and ultimately we come from the same (hope not though :biggrin:).

Just another load of intolerance and ignorance that's sadly growing in our great country :frown:.
Reply 143
pkonline
Just another load of intolerance and ignorance that's sadly growing in our great country :frown:.

where's that in their statement?
Reply 144
vienna95
where's that in their statement?

Its written all over it. Can't you see it? Maybe you're being clouded too.
Reply 145
pkonline
Its written all over it. Can't you see it?

no. im just asking you to point out the ignorance and intolerance in the post.

Maybe you're being clouded too.

leave it.
Reply 146
vienna95
no. im just asking you to point out the ignorance and intolerance in the post.

Language for example. Why shouldn't people be able to speak the language of their parents say to speak to their grandparents? And who cares if someone speaks in another language? They aren't speaking to you and haven't commited a crime, have they?

Just shear intolerance of people behaving 'differently'.
Reply 147
pkonline
Language for example. Why shouldn't people be able to speak the language of their parents say to speak to their grandparents? And who cares if someone speaks in another language? They aren't speaking to you and haven't commited a crime, have they?

the poster said that they didnt feel it was right that if you were to consider yourself British that you make no attempt to speak english in public or to other Britons. what you do privately is no concern and they didnt suggest you shouldnt be allowed.

Just shear intolerance of people behaving 'differently'.

again, how is that intolerant? some might say that you are intolerant for feeling uncomfortable with people who expect Britons to speak the national language. and we seem to have lost ignorance in there somewhere.....
Reply 148
vienna95
hehe, Mr.White will hear of your support.

I'm guessing that is supposed to be a bad thing. Am curious as to why though. Agreeing with something sensible is something more people should do.
Reply 149
Sire
I'm guessing that is supposed to be a bad thing. Am curious as to why though. Agreeing with something sensible is something more people should do.

no, its good. you will be rewarded.
Reply 150
Ask yourself what is 'to be British'?
Britain is a melting pot of ethnicities - Scottish, Wesh, Northern Irish, English and a multitude of other peoples from all over the world - all of them bringing their own uniqueness to the meaning of British.
When in France do we speak French - no, only out of neccessity. What are British clothes? I don't know, can someone enlighten me?
As for the lack of tolerance of some posters who think that someone (whose native language is not English) speaking to someone else whose language is also theirs means that somehow they are not 'grateful' for the privilege of living and working here is at best farcical and at worst racist.
Britains who have gone to live in Australia do ot assimilate very well with the Australian-born population. They tend to ghettocise their own areas and make little Englands, Scotlands etc. whilst eating their fish and chips and wearing their kilts. Why should they not be criticised in the same way some are criticising those who settle in whatever Britain is.
Reply 151
vienna95
no, its good. you will be rewarded.

Thankyou. Your generosity will not be forgotten your eminence etc etc etc :wink:
Reply 152
Sire
Thankyou. Your generosity will not be forgotten your eminence etc etc etc :wink:

Ingratiating yourself Uriah?
Reply 153
yawn1
Britain is a melting pot of ethnicities - Scottish, Wesh, Northern Irish, English and a multitude of other peoples from all over the world - all of them bringing their own uniqueness to the meaning of British.
When in France do we speak French - no, only out of neccessity. What are British clothes? I don't know, can someone enlighten me?

when we go to france do we receive all the benefits of being a French citizen?

As for the lack of tolerance of some posters who think that someone (whose native language is not English) speaking to someone else whose language is also theirs means that somehow they are not 'grateful' for the privilege of living and working here is at best farcical and at worst racist.

which posters would they be?

Britains who have gone to live in Australia do ot assimilate very well with the Australian-born population. They tend to ghettocise their own areas and make little Englands, Scotlands etc. whilst eating their fish and chips and wearing their kilts. Why should they not be criticised in the same way some are criticising those who settle in whatever Britain is.

thats rubbish but anyway.
and its Britons, not Britains.
Reply 154
yawn1
Ingratiating yourself Uriah?

I can't believe you wasted the time to post that. Strange little creature.
Reply 155
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rubbish. Where on earth did you come up with that??? If anything, people from Britain fit in better with Australians better than most. American people get treated as something of a joke for a little while, but fit in too after time. (No, that did not mean every single American gets treated like that, but say 75-80% of them) So just where did you come up with that rubbish?
Reply 156
Sire
I can't believe you wasted the time to post that. Strange little creature.

Not strange, just appreciative of literary works. Your fawning to vienna was so reminiscent of Uriah Heep's sycophantic posturing to David Copperfield.
This is a learning forum - is it not. :tongue:
Reply 157
yawn1

Thats right. Although I wonder if people who hold right wing view believe everyone to be like 15th century Tudor England! IMO the very nature of Britishness is our freedom, tolerance, history...
Reply 158
Didn't Britons as a 'race' die out a few hundred years ago after the Romans left? Can anyone truly say they are 'purely' British?

Our English language is continually evolving and people who speak other languages change and shape the English of today.
Reply 159
Sire
Quote:

Rubbish. Where on earth did you come up with that??? If anything, people from Britain fit in better with Australians better than most. American people get treated as something of a joke for a little while, but fit in too after time. (No, that did not mean every single American gets treated like that, but say 75-80% of them) So just where did you come up with that rubbish?

I've lived and worked there amongst these very migrant ghettos. My opinion is based on experience - what is your's based on?
And don't get so aggressive because I said you reminded me of Uriah Heep :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending