Proud To Be British Watch

This discussion is closed.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Not strange, just appreciative of literary works. Your fawning to vienna was so reminiscent of Uriah Heep's sycophantic posturing to David Copperfield.
This is a learning forum - is it not.
Sire, when you agree with me its 'fawning', when you abuse me its an 'opinion'.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
Thats right. Although I wonder if people who hold right wing view believe everyone to be like 15th century Tudor England! IMO the very nature of Britishness is our freedom, tolerance, history...
whats right, as our replies have shown, there is pitifully little that stands up in his comments.

what has right wing got to do with it...oh wait, is this a hang-up?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pkonline)
Didn't Britons as a 'race' die out a few hundred years ago after the Romans left? Can anyone truly say they are 'purely' British?
what has this got to do with the discussion?

Our English language is continually evolving and people who speak other language
eh? to answer the first part, its not evolving into another language. and the whole point is, whatever it is, it is one of the British people and you should be expected to be able to converse in that language.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have never experienced someone who lives in this country, for whom English is not their first language, try to address me in anything other than English. I am at a loss to know where this idea of non-native English speakers speaking to us in their own language comes from!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I've lived and worked there amongst these very migrant ghettos. My opinion is based on experience - what is your's based on?
And don't get so aggressive because I said you reminded me of Uriah Heep
Cute
Mine is based on experience also. Migrant ghettos? You of all people should know then that the number who continue stay in migrant ghettos are sparse when compared to those who find accepted.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I have never experienced someone who lives in this country, for whom English is not their first language, try to address me in anything other than English. I am at a loss to know where this idea of non-native English speakers speaking to us in their own language comes from!
sorry, run me through that again?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
Sire, when you agree with me its 'fawning', when you abuse me its an 'opinion'.
I give an opinion from time to time, yes. Abuse, try not to. Fawn, never. What is the point of that? Doesn't get me anywhere.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry, run me through that again?
Take your time, read it slowly and then read it again to enable you to comprehend
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I give an opinion from time to time, yes. Abuse, try not to. Fawn, never. What is the point of that? Doesn't get me anywhere.
i was pointing out an observation, not related to your behaviour.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Take your time, read it slowly and then read it again to enable you to comprehend
the reading part is what im struggling with. it doesnt make comprehendable sense.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the reading part is what im struggling with. it doesnt make comprehendable sense.
Perhaps, because the sentence is long and convoluted you are having problems. But it does make sense - just pause where the commas are inserted and then read on. I should not be having to give you a lesson in reading comprehension at your age - shame on you
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have never experienced someone who lives in this country, for whom English is not their first language,
im very surprised at that. where have you been living?

try to address me in anything other than English
i dont understand the relevance of this to the rest of the sentence.

I am at a loss to know where this idea of non-native English speakers speaking to us in their own language comes from!
so people who arent British but speak english speaking to British people in a language other than english...what on earth are you talking about?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i was pointing out an observation, not related to your behaviour.
ah righto
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
im very surprised at that. where have you been living?

i dont understand the relevance of this to the rest of the sentence.

so people who arent British but speak english speaking to British people in a language other than english...what on earth are you talking about?
Show the sentence to your English teacher. There is absolutely no point in you fragmenting it in this manner and trying to make me look silly to protect your own ego.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I wish it was like that over here. Being a McManager to put myself through uni, its not uncommon to get people from other nationalities dropping in because they know they won't be ripped off, and the menu is almost the same world wide. But, I've had French, Italian, and a few languages I don't recognise, thrown at me. How hard is it to get a visa to the UK? I reckon I could handle English only, and you have better universities too don't you?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Show the sentence to your English teacher. There is absolutely no point in you fragmenting it in this manner and trying to make me look silly to protect your own ego.
fragmenting it in this manner? if it was punctuated as you wished there should be no problems in clarifying my misunderstandings.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
fragmenting it in this manner? if it was punctuated as you wished there should be no problems in clarifying my misunderstandings.
Move on Vienna - we are getting nowhere like this!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*chuckles*
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Move on Vienna - we are getting nowhere like this!
hehe, fair enough, i only wanted to understand your point. pity you couldnt explain it...
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
*chuckles*
indeed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads