TSR Game of the Year: Discussion and Voting Thread (Win a free game!) Watch

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

The battle for the coveted (and hastily photoshopped) Golden NES Controller kicks off once again, with the annual TSR Game of The Year Awards! We're going to be doing it a little differently this year, with all four quarterly threads released simultaneously followed by the final round next week. The top four games from each quarter will make it into the final, at which point we will vote on the winner!

The selection process

*The games chosen were the top scoring games on Metacritic for their respective quarterly periods with a minimum of 30 reviews.
*Games must be available for purchase in the UK, with their original UK release date falling somewhere in 2015 (for games with multiple release dates for different platforms, the earliest release date decides their allocated quarter)
*Remakes, rereleases, and expansion packs (that cannot be played as standalone games) are not eligible. For episodic games, only one episode per series is eligible, with the highest rated episode representing the series.

The Competition

Now for the exciting bit! This year we'll be running a prediction competition alongside GOTY, with the winner being offered the prize of any game of their choice from the Finals poll. The process is pretty simple:
*In this thread, pick your prediction for the winning game from each quarter and post them here.
*If your game makes it into the top four of that quarter, you get points- one point for fourth, two for third, three for second and four for first.
*When the Finals thread is posted, you will predict the overall winner.
*When the winner is revealed, points will be allocated in the same manner is before.
*Whoever has the highest total score after both rounds wins!
*In the event of a tie, the member who correctly predicted the most first place games will be declared winner. If there is still a tie, it will be whoever predicted the most second place games, and so on.

There are of course a few rules and restrictions;
*You need to be a current member of the site to be eligible to win, as of this post going live. Use of dupe accounts will result in disqualification.
*All predictions must be submitted the day before each poll closes, which will be updated here, and posts containing predictions must not be edited after this point either. Any late entries or late edits will not be eligible.
*The choice of game will be the "standard" edition of the game on a platform of your choosing. If you are chosen as the winner you will be contacted by a member of the TSR Community Team to arrange your prize. In the event of the chosen game being age restricted, TSR Group may ask that you provide proof of age.

And that's about it really, you can find links to each of the quarterly polls below. Have fun and good luck!
Q1 Poll
Q2 Poll
Q3 Poll
Q4 Poll
Gofre
Rep:
?
My predictions:
Q1: Cities: Skylines
Q2: The Witcher 3
Q3: Metal Gear Solid V
Q4: Fallout 4
Kholmes1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The thing is that pretty much all the "Popular" games releases in November.
Student403
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1 - meh
Q2 - The Witcher 3
Q3 - Rocket League :3
Q4 - Rainbow Six Siege
Aria Enoshima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I love how all of the games I was hyped about didn't get onto this..
Q3: Super Mario Maker
Q4: Fallout 4 (quite a safe prediction)
The other two quarters i know nothing about those games so it wouldn't be fair to vote/predict on them just based on prestige.
IamJacksContempt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1. Bloodborne
Q2. Witcher 3
Q3. Metal Gear Solid 5
Q3. Fallout 4
serah.exe
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Dying Light
Q2: Witcher 3
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why no LiS >

Didn't see that only the best rated gets put in, shame because episode 5 was not the best and it goes in the hardest quarter.
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Bloodborne
Q2: Mortal Kombat X

If I could vote for 2 I'd vote Black Ops 3 as well for Q4, Treyarch did an excellent job of fixing the **** ups of the past 2
Das fkn it mane
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Most of those were pretty poor, but I'll go with Cities, even though plenty won't have played it
Q2: Witcher, clear winner
Q3: Another poor quarter, but I reckon Rocket league will take it
Q4: I reckon FO4 will win this purely based on hype, again, not a brilliant quarter

Wow, this really has not been a very good year, with only 1 quarter really having a big, standout game to me. Either that or I'm just getting too and nostalgic.
BenisMiles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Dying Light
Q3: Rocket League
Q4: Fallout 4 (yet I preferred COD and Assassins Creed)
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My predictions:

Q3: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Predictions:
Q1. Bloodborne
Q2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Q3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Q3. Fallout 4

Personal picks:
1. The Witcher II: Wild Hunt
2. The Witcher II: Wild Hunt: Heart of Stone (yes, it's good enough to merit two entries, easily)
3. Axiom Verge
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Least forgiveble omission: Xenoblade Chronicles X
Oh yes, and we're not in the US, so Yoshi's Woolly World is a Q2 game, not Q4.
Jack1066
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Q1: Bloodbourne
Q3: Rocket League
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Why no LiS >

Didn't see that only the best rated gets put in, shame because episode 5 was not the best and it goes in the hardest quarter.
It was a decision that had to be made last year, if each episode was counted as a separate game to vote on it would have meant Telltale Games having up 20% of the entire slate in 2014 across their five series that they released episodes for that year. Given the frequency these games can be put out and swamp the polls while containing a comparatively small amount of content per episode compared to most games, to limit episodic games to one episode per series. It gives fans of the series something to vote for without the having to flood the polls up to half a dozen times. Next year it may be a case of voting for the series as a collective, but for this year it's how we're running it.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
It was a decision that had to be made last year, if each episode was counted as a separate game to vote on it would have meant Telltale Games having up 20% of the entire slate in 2014 across their five series that they released episodes for that year. Given the frequency these games can be put out and swamp the polls while containing a comparatively small amount of content per episode compared to most games, to limit episodic games to one episode per series. It gives fans of the series something to vote for without the having to flood the polls up to half a dozen times. Next year it may be a case of voting for the series as a collective, but for this year it's how we're running it.
I would personally prefer them being listed as of the first episode, and maybe for inclusion take the average, and not just because LiS is probably going to perform worse than it should because some nutters think that episode 5 was best (3 was best)
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh right you can have predictions separate

Predictions

Q2: Witcher 3
Q3: MGS V
FluffyFalcon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't know for predictions, but I'm personally hoping for;

Q2: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Q3: UNDERTALE

UNDERTALE is my personal Game of the Year ;3
quasa
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
q1: dying light (although i didnt like any q1 games tbh)
q2: wild hunt
q3: phantom pain
q4: syndicate.

overall game id go for phantom pain (DIAMOND PUPPY!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFC8TYWXi0U)
Kittyboy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1 Cities: Skylines
2 The Witcher 3
3 Rocket League
4 Fallout 4
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.28%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.44%
No, but I want to start (276)
37.45%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.02%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise