The Student Room Group

Did Imperialism End In Decolonisation? - History Month

Hi all! Here's one for you to get your teeth into;

Did imperialism end in decolonisation?

Personally; I would say not. When you consider the definition of imperialism as 'a policy of extending a country's power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or other means' as Google does, then the extension of power cannot be solely political. Instead, it can be seen in forms of cultural, economic and social forms that, whilst different to empires of old, is still very much a form of imperialism.

In regard to cultural imperialism, Tom Standage (in A History of the World in Six Glasses) considered Western exports, such as Levi's, Coca-Cola or Jack Daniels, to be the new ambassadors of western ideals; ‘Coca-Cola is the nearest thing you can get tocapitalism in a bottle.’

But that's just to get you started! Happy debating!

(Also, @Airmed @shadowdweller @TheonlyMrsHolmes @CourtlyCanter @Professor Oak you may find this interesting!)
Original post by thehistorybore

Personally; I would say not. When you consider the definition of imperialism as 'a policy of extending a country's power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or other means' as Google does, then the extension of power cannot be solely political. Instead, it can be seen in forms of cultural, economic and social forms that, whilst different to empires of old, is still very much a form of imperialism.

In regard to cultural imperialism, Tom Standage (in A History of the World in Six Glasses) considered Western exports, such as Levi's, Coca-Cola or Jack Daniels, to be the new ambassadors of western ideals; ‘Coca-Cola is the nearest thing you can get tocapitalism in a bottle.’

(Also, @Airmed @shadowdweller @TheonlyMrsHolmes @CourtlyCanter @Professor Oak you may find this interesting!)

Thank you for tagging me! :biggrin:

And nope, I do not think Imperialism ends with decolonisation. Even if you view Imperialism from a solely political lens, I think the influence of Imperialism still remains in the former colonies politics for a while, the best evidence of this would probably be Rhodesia and Ian Duncan Smith. In my opinion, this mess was a direct link to imperialism(amongst other things of course).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

And nope, I do not think Imperialism ends with decolonisation. Even if you view Imperialism from a solely political lens, I think the influence of Imperialism still remains in the former colonies politics for a while, the best evidence of this would probably be Rhodesia and Ian Duncan Smith. In my opinion, this mess was a direct link to imperialism(amongst other things of course).

You're welcome!

I think when it comes to politics it is a question of definitions; whether or not you can describe such a situation as 'imperialism' or 'colonisation' depends on whether you regard them as having to be formal (e.g British monarchs gaining the title of Emperor/Empress of India) or more a case of informal suzerainty (such as Britain in Egypt after 1878) or indirect economic control (such as the US's (supposed) dominance of global economics).
Original post by thehistorybore

No I don't believe it ended with decolonisation mostly because imperial possessions are still present in the world, Falkland Islands, Reunion etc.. It was also practised during the Cold War by the USSR and USA via the use of what were pretty much proxy regimes. I'd note that now these regimes are no longer under influence so we are back to just small imperial possesions.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

I would argue Rhodesia and Ian Douglas Smith show the opposite, we detested the regime but had no power to get rid of it.
Reply 4
Colonies are not necessary to be imperialistic. Just look at the Americans, the most efficient empire builders in history, and many would deny that it even exists!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending