What power wires needed from PSU to GTX 970 graphics card?

Watch
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey!

I have a graphics card but my power supply missed out the graphics card power wires. What wires will I need from a 600W Corsair to a Gigabyte GForce GTX 970.

Having to use my pooey netbook for now

Thanks!
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need a 6 pin connector, though if your power supply doesn't have any then you'll need a molex to 6-pin adapter. Dirt cheap tbf.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Dual-4...sAAOSwxCxT~FIM

Check your card as well as you may need two 6 pin connectors to power it.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
You need a 6 pin connector, though if your power supply doesn't have any then you'll need a molex to 6-pin adapter. Dirt cheap tbf.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Dual-4...sAAOSwxCxT~FIM

Check your card as well as you may need two 6 pin connectors to power it.
Big thanks mate!! I have purchased some wires but coming from Hong Kong (so assuming will take a while), and not sure if they're 100% right. So will buy those too!

Do you have a link for the 2 6 pin connectors too?

I figure if its cheap and will either come in handy later on in future possibly my as well buy some as well... and save me waiting around for further wires if any aren't working or incorrect
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hellodave5)
Big thanks mate!! I have purchased some wires but coming from Hong Kong (so assuming will take a while), and not sure if they're 100% right. So will buy those too!

Do you have a link for the 2 6 pin connectors too?

I figure if its cheap and will either come in handy later on in future possibly my as well buy some as well... and save me waiting around for further wires if any aren't working or incorrect
Generally you'd need to buy 2 adapters mate, don't think I've seen an adapter with two 6-pin connectors on it.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey!

I have a graphics card but my power supply missed out the graphics card power wires. What wires will I need from a 600W Corsair to a Gigabyte GForce GTX 970.

Having to use my pooey netbook for now

Thanks!
My MSI 970 has the same connectors - the card is powered by a 6-pin and an 8-pin pci-e connector.

Two of these would do it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverston...3D131665410989
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Generally you'd need to buy 2 adapters mate, don't think I've seen an adapter with two 6-pin connectors on it.
(Original post by Alexion)
My MSI 970 has the same connectors - the card is powered by a 6-pin and an 8-pin pci-e connector.

Two of these would do it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverston...3D131665410989
Thank you both!! Much appreciated!

I'll give some Bebo Luv if it will let me
hellodave5
Rep:
?
PRSOM (I think that is what they say?)

Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you both!! Much appreciated!

I'll give some Bebo Luv if it will let me
Always happy to get in with tech support :lol: my card is sitting literally two feet away behind a window, so I can see everything
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Always happy to get in with tech support :lol: my card is sitting literally two feet away behind a window, so I can see everything
Haha, all the help is greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify that has an 8 pin, which goes into the power supply... and 2 cables which slot into the graphics card?

I'm new to all this shoving together of PC's!

Interesting learning all this new stuff.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
In my graphics card there seem to be 2 parts to connect power to. The two slots are one for 8 and one for 6.
Is that right?

P.S.
Ah I see! Silly me. So I would have the 6+2 for the 8 pin. And the other wire, utilise only the 6 pin, and leave off the 2.

Thanks gain
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my graphics card there seem to be 2 parts to connect power to. The two slots are one for 8 and one for 6.
Is that right?

P.S.
Ah I see! Silly me. So I would have the 6+2 for the 8 pin. And the other wire, utilise only the 6 pin, and leave off the 2.

Thanks gain
Yeah you'll need a 6+2 one and a plain 6er then mate, when you buy the 6 pin adapter that's literally all you're getting, no +2 included :lol:
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is that right?
As I said in the first post, you'll need a couple of cables - preferably 6+2 ones like that one I linked you to, they're similar to the ones that came with my EVGA power supply.

One of them should connect the 8-pin to the PSU, the other should connect the 6-pin to the PSU.

Here's my GPU: Name:  gpu power connections.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.1 KB
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Yeah you'll need a 6+2 one and a plain 6er then mate, when you buy the 6 pin adapter that's literally all you're getting, no +2 included :lol:
As I said in the first post, you'll need a couple of cables - preferably 6+2 ones like that one I linked you to, they're similar to the ones that came with my EVGA power supply.

One of them should connect the 8-pin to the PSU, the other should connect the 6-pin to the PSU.

Here's my GPU: Name:  gpu power connections.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.1 KB
Brilliant. Cheers again guys. Saviours!
Harveyhickss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Be careful ordering cheap wires off of ebay mate one of my friends did the same for his cpu power and it fried his motherboard.
If i were you i would look on ocuk or scan and get a slightly more expensive decent one.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have purchased some wires but coming from Hong Kong (so assuming will take a while), and not sure if they're 100% right. So will buy those too!
(Original post by Harveyhickss)
Be careful ordering cheap wires off of ebay mate one of my friends did the same for his cpu power and it fried his motherboard.
If i were you i would look on ocuk or scan and get a slightly more expensive decent one.
Yeah, make sure you get some good quality ones from a reputable manufacturer, even for these small extra parts.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly I'm surprised you didn't get any with your power supply, they're fairly standard cables :/
hellodave5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Harveyhickss)
Yeah, make sure you get some good quality ones from a reputable manufacturer, even for these small extra parts.
I followed and purchased 2 in that link you sent me.
Will they not suffice?
Can cancel the order and if not, happy to repurchase. Don't mind spending, all part of the learning process... and I did get the graphics card like £30 cheaper ^^

P.S.
Purchased this also:
http://www.moddiy.com/products/Corsa...ved-Cable.html
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I followed and purchased 2 in that link you sent me.
Will they not suffice?
Can cancel the order and if not, happy to repurchase. Don't mind spending, all part of the learning process... and I did get the graphics card like £30 cheaper ^^
The ones I linked you to were Silverstone, so they should be good they're only 25cm long though, so make sure that they'll actually reach far enough!

They were literally just the first ones I found as an example of a 6+2, but they should do the job, and they're at a pretty good price too
hellodave5
Rep:
?
The ones I linked you to were Silverstone, so they should be good they're only 25cm long though, so make sure that they'll actually reach far enough!

They were literally just the first ones I found as an example of a 6+2, but they should do the job, and they're at a pretty good price too
Nice one.
Haha not opening up case as feeling lazy... but estimating with tape measure it should be about right. Medium sized case.
If not... can always hunt down others that are a bit longer.
Cheers!
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
P.S.
Purchased this also:
http://www.moddiy.com/products/Corsa...ved-Cable.html
Should do the trick... but it may limit the amount of power your GPU can draw, so may cause problems if it's working too hard? Definitely no OCing with that. Not sure of the real effect of it though :/

I'd go with the two cables, as long as there's room on the power supply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads