h8skoooooool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello

So basically the sixth form is making everyone either do an EPQ or this charity fundraiser thing, so I decided to do an EPQ. I want it to be scientifically based, like a research report or experiment, but I don't know where to start looking for ideas. I'd prefer to do something with physics but chemistry or biology is good too. Where should I look for inspiration? Like specific scientific journals, books, etc. Thanks
ada_t
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done an EPQ on Interventional Radiology which got me an A*. PubMed is a fantastic place for journals (especially medical journals), but other websites such as ScienceDirect, Elsevier and Google Scholar will help a lot; just make sure your search keywords are as many as possible and that you restrict your searches by the parameters you consider relevant (eg year of publishing).

Since you don't have a title for your EPQ yet, it's difficult to pinpoint specific sources. Have a think about what course you wish to apply for or some other area of interest that could be related to what you'll later do in uni, and then make your choice. Speak to a teacher or career advisor if you're struggling, it can be helpful to get a different perspective sometimes, even if you don't necessarily agree with what they're suggesting.

Also, feel free to PM me at any point if you need some more advice on how to do the EPQ! I remember it was quite a daunting task, but I ended up getting a great result in the end. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help! Best of luck
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could look at which parts of your A-level subjects (assuming you do sciences) that you enjoy most, and then consider these as topics. Also, consider a side of research to any hobbies you might have (I got an A* on my HPQ writing about the medical aspects of scuba diving), this helps to ensure you are interested in the topic.

From the above post, you should have a supervisor assigned to your EPQ. Discuss your ideas with them, it will be useful (trust me).

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions
h8skoooooool
Rep:
?
(Original post by ada_t)
I've done an EPQ on Interventional Radiology which got me an A*. PubMed is a fantastic place for journals (especially medical journals), but other websites such as ScienceDirect, Elsevier and Google Scholar will help a lot; just make sure your search keywords are as many as possible and that you restrict your searches by the parameters you consider relevant (eg year of publishing).

Since you don't have a title for your EPQ yet, it's difficult to pinpoint specific sources. Have a think about what course you wish to apply for or some other area of interest that could be related to what you'll later do in uni, and then make your choice. Speak to a teacher or career advisor if you're struggling, it can be helpful to get a different perspective sometimes, even if you don't necessarily agree with what they're suggesting.

Also, feel free to PM me at any point if you need some more advice on how to do the EPQ! I remember it was quite a daunting task, but I ended up getting a great result in the end. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help! Best of luck
Wow that's brill! I was actually thinking about something along the lines of medical physics (I want to study physics at university), though I'm not sure what topics I could highlight - but looking through those websites for articles is a good start, thanks!!
h8skoooooool
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackster45)
You could look at which parts of your A-level subjects (assuming you do sciences) that you enjoy most, and then consider these as topics. Also, consider a side of research to any hobbies you might have (I got an A* on my HPQ writing about the medical aspects of scuba diving), this helps to ensure you are interested in the topic.

From the above post, you should have a supervisor assigned to your EPQ. Discuss your ideas with them, it will be useful (trust me).

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions
Hm so far the most interesting topic I've covered across the sciences is the double slit experiment in physics, though I'm not sure how much I could expand on this. Of course there's the whole wave-particle duality stuff and the history behind it, but that's sort of already on the spec so I don't think it would be accepted. I'll have a look into other topics we've covered though, thanks for your help!
anna.kaim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The topic you chose sounds really interesting! I’m struggling with how to write my title for my EPQ and wondered what was your one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed