I don't understand the hissy fit people are throwing over Donald Trump.

Watch
TheGuyReturns
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's clear he doesn't have anywhere near a mandate to win a presidential election, so why can't people just chill out, grab some popcorn and enjoy the comedy?

It's not like Muslims are the first group of people to be insulted.

He's insulted:

Mexicans
Black people
Women
POWs
Refugees
Immigrants
Disabled people
East Asians
Politicians
Jews
Journalists
Iowans
Stupid people
People who are "too smart"
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If history repeats itself then that is a problem.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samina_ay)
If history repeats itself then that is a problem.

I am not that worried. Something tells me that not many

(Original post by TheGuyReturns)
Muslims
Mexicans
Black people
Women
Refugees
Immigrants
Disabled people
East Asians
Politicians
Jews
Journalists
Iowans
Stupid people
OR
are going to vote for him. And that's a lot of people.
aash-na
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the presidential process and nomination process in the states is a LOT different to the uk. like, trust me here.
the main first step trump is heading towards is something called the primaries/caucuses - where every state basically votes/has meetings and produces a nomination for the candidacy for the D and R party. right now, we are in what is called the invisible primaries, and all we have to go on at this point is opinion polls. and sadly, trump is leading. so even though you are right to an extent, and it is an extremely lengthy process, the idea that it is possible that trump could get quite far isn't exactly wrong.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
https://youtu.be/7zGxkVSYbcA?t=35

lol a woman high fived him :/
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's clear he doesn't have anywhere near a mandate to win a presidential election
If that were true, he wouldn't be leading the polling for the Republican nomination!
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's clear he doesn't have anywhere near a mandate to win a presidential election, so why can't people just chill out, grab some popcorn and enjoy the comedy?

It's not like Muslims are the first group of people to be insulted.

He's insulted:

Mexicans
Black people
Women
POWs
Refugees
Immigrants
Disabled people
East Asians
Politicians
Jews
Journalists
Iowans
Stupid people
Yes, except this is a time where a lot of people are victimising the Muslim sector of society as a whole and tarring them with the same brush. Having their disgusting and damaging views validated by a presidential candidate is a big problem.
Cato the Elder
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Long live Trump!
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
If that were true, he wouldn't be leading the polling for the Republican nomination!
We have't even had any primaries or caucuses. Take these with a grain of salt.
z33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this video though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDZEfjiedyE
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
We have't even had any primaries or caucuses. Take these with a grain of salt.
I'm not saying he'll definitely be in the White House in November, but with the current polling information it'd be foolish to suggest he certainly won't be.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Trump is a ****.

That's all I have to say.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't understand? LOL
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can get why people are like "omg you can't say that" but surely they must realise that Trump's always been a bit of an offensive daftee and this petition to ban him from everything ever is a bit of an overreaction for something that was totally predictable of him.

He's not gonna win the election anyway. He's got some supporters, sure, but he's gonna struggle to sway people who haven't made their mind up either way with all the crap that comes out of his mouth.
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not saying he'll definitely be in the White House in November, but with the current polling information it'd be foolish to suggest he certainly won't be.
I'd just like to say, I completely agree. But I think, even if he does win the nomination, the point the OP is making is that he's insulted all them people, so they'll be less likely to vote for them. He might be ahead in the republican polls, but that ultimately means nothing: as only republican supporters (in most states, some have open primaries) can vote in the primaries/caucuses of the republicans. So even if he gets 100% of the republican nomination, the wider population of America are unlikely to vote for him.

But, I'd like to reiterate, I do agree with you lol.
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's clear he doesn't have anywhere near a mandate to win a presidential election
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...ump-vs-clinton
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Goaded)
I'd just like to say, I completely agree. But I think, even if he does win the nomination, the point the OP is making is that he's insulted all them people, so they'll be less likely to vote for them. He might be ahead in the republican polls, but that ultimately means nothing: as only republican supporters (in most states, some have open primaries) can vote in the primaries/caucuses of the republicans. So even if he gets 100% of the republican nomination, the wider population of America are unlikely to vote for him.

But, I'd like to reiterate, I do agree with you lol.
I disagree that it means nothing - so many people (both here in the US and back in the UK) vote for the same party all their lives, simply because that's who they've always voted for and always will vote for. The Republican candidate could be a performing monkey (no, I'm not referring to Dubya, but...) and they'd still get plenty of votes. Would Trump get enough votes to win an election? I wouldn't really like to say. There are a lot of Americans with very 'limited' views, but my experience has been that they're much more likely to act on them than is common in the UK. It's worth noting that one of the key states where Trump is leading is Iowa - Iowans are on the OP's list of people unlikely to vote for Trump, so it's clearly not that straightforward. Additionally, many of the groups listed in the OP are a) less likely to vote in the first place and b) relatively unlikely to vote for the GOP anyway, regardless of the candidate. And all the time he's alienating people who would probably never have voted for him anyway, he's attracting plenty of votes from people who do like what he's saying...
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So, a few words upsets all the groups above but flooing nations with immigrants isn't offensive. Haha you understand life very well.
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I disagree that it means nothing - so many people (both here in the US and back in the UK) vote for the same party all their lives, simply because that's who they've always voted for and always will vote for. The Republican candidate could be a performing monkey (no, I'm not referring to Dubya, but...) and they'd still get plenty of votes. Would Trump get enough votes to win an election? I wouldn't really like to say. There are a lot of Americans with very 'limited' views, but my experience has been that they're much more likely to act on them than is common in the UK. It's worth noting that one of the key states where Trump is leading is Iowa - Iowans are on the OP's list of people unlikely to vote for Trump, so it's clearly not that straightforward. Additionally, many of the groups listed in the OP are a) less likely to vote in the first place and b) relatively unlikely to vote for the GOP anyway, regardless of the candidate. And all the time he's alienating people who would probably never have voted for him anyway, he's attracting plenty of votes from people who do like what he's saying...
Once again, rn only registered republican voters are voting for him. Even in Iowa, so the Republican party showing support for him, doesn't at all indicate that he stands any chance in an actual presidential election.

I'm not denying that they will get votes, but the thing is, right now, the democrats have the most voters, and I highly doubt he's attracting the democrat voters in the key swing states.

In addition to this, he's just the most famous candidate right now. Much like Hilary in the democrats, just because she's popular among them, it doesn't indicate even slightly she could ever win a presidential election.

In Colorado, frequently called the tipping point in both 2012 and 2008, Ben Carson is ahead in the polls. And second is Marco Rubio. How can Trump win an election without a key state like Colorado, where he can't even gain Republican support? Yes, people may vote for the Republicans because they have their whole life and their parents did or whatever, but if he's not popular in his own party in a key state, how's he ever going to win over democrat voters, who basically won Obama the election twice?

All I'm saying is yes, we cannot rule him out. But ultimately, right now it is slightly irrelevant. Cause as I said, in a crucial state like Colorado, he's third in the polls. We're not even in the election cycle. Look at our general election, until the day of the election, it was said to be a hung parliament. Being ahead a year before the actual election - means nothing.
Goaded
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But I shan't be discussing it any further.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads