The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leekey
Just trying to guage how many others are taking the exam. If you are taking it, how confident are you? What grade do you expect / need / both??? :confused:

I will be taking edexcel S2 next wednesday. I don't need a high grade given my previous modules but I would be disapointed if I didn't get an A since there is very little content and the questions are not usually that hard.
Reply 2
Leekey
Just trying to guage how many others are taking the exam. If you are taking it, how confident are you? What grade do you expect / need / both??? :confused:

I'm quite confident.. S2 is easy compared to P3
Reply 3
Leekey
I am taking... (but you probably remember that... im a "squire" apparantly... lol)... I am quite confident I can get 90+% but I am only can revise it for one day :frown: I got eco6 on monday so im not going to touch s2 until after eco6...
Reply 4
S1M
I am taking... (but you probably remember that... im a "squire" apparantly... lol)... I am quite confident I can get 90+% but I am only can revise it for one day :frown: I got eco6 on monday so im not going to touch s2 until after eco6...

Lol!!! Your making my 3 day revision for it seem like slight overkill. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Leekey
Lol!!! Your making my 3 day revision for it seem like slight overkill. :rolleyes:

Well, there are only a few things to learn

Binomial
Poisson
Uniform
Continuous distributions: PDFs, CDFs, ...
Normal Distribution to approximate Binomial or Poisson
Hypothesis tests
Reply 6
im taking it
should be an A.
Reply 7
Have OCR S2 on Wednesday, and P2 the monday beforehand.

I personally find P3 easier than S2. as S2 is just full of crap, hypothesis testing is the only thing I strugle on, having said that I have only done 4 hours revision. I'm not too bothered, just need an extra 14 marks for my A. S2 is a homosexual tea cup.
Reply 8
Leekey

as mikesgt2 said... theres nothing to it... especially after you have done S3 which has very similar stuff in it... IMO 3 days revision is overkill... but thats IMO... I just find stats easy... Unless you have more important subjects to revise then 3 days S2 isn't that bad... when I say important, i mean like ones that will determine your grades more... such as my eco6... its the only eco i am or have taken this summer and i need to get 73/120 or I don't get an A... so I need to make sure I get that.... its more important than S2 for me as I think I can get 80+ in S2 without revision purely because I have done S3...
I'm doing OCR S2 and M2 on wednesday. S2 is a breeze, but M2 could be more problematic.
Reply 10
mikesgt2
Well, there are only a few things to learn

Binomial
Poisson
Uniform
Continuous distributions: PDFs, CDFs, ...
Normal Distribution to approximate Binomial or Poisson
Hypothesis tests

Binomial - Easy
Poisson - Even easier
Uniform - Hardest thing is spotting when to use it
Continuous distributions: PDFs, CDFs, ... - Spawn of satan :mad:
Normal Distribution to approximate Binomial or Poisson - Free marks
Hypothesis tests - Usually easy but will revise to make sure I get it down.
Im taking it as well, hoping for a good grade, preferbaly a B or A. I think S2 is easy, but the only problem is, I hate those questions that have a long paragraph of writing and consist of so many numbers, that I get confused which number is n or p in binomial.
Reply 12
Leekey
Binomial - Easy
Poisson - Even easier
Uniform - Hardest thing is spotting when to use it
Continuous distributions: PDFs, CDFs, ... - Spawn of satan :mad:
Normal Distribution to approximate Binomial or Poisson - Free marks
Hypothesis tests - Usually easy but will revise to make sure I get it down.

I aint even gonna say what I think is easy... its all free marks dude!!! :biggrin: you don't like continious distributions? Isn't it just mostly calculus IIRC (has been a while since I done S2... i must say that the approximations and continious distr. doesn't come up much in s3)...
Reply 13
Bhaal85
Have OCR S2 on Wednesday, and P2 the monday beforehand.

I personally find P3 easier than S2. as S2 is just full of crap, hypothesis testing is the only thing I strugle on, having said that I have only done 4 hours revision. I'm not too bothered, just need an extra 14 marks for my A. S2 is a homosexual tea cup.

haha 'homosexual tea cup', i like it
Reply 14
S1M
you don't like continious distributions?

Far too many little bits I could get wrong on them. I also have no idea how to find the E(X) and E(X^2) when I am given a distribution with more than one equation (ie. the thing changes at a point in the distribution). I know that I should find E(X) in the normal way for each bit but I don't know if I then add them or average them or what?!? :confused:
Reply 15
Continuous distributions is just P1 integration, which is easy when you have done up to P3.
Reply 16
Leekey
Far too many little bits I could get wrong on them. I also have no idea how to find the E(X) and E(X^2) when I am given a distribution with more than one equation (ie. the thing changes at a point in the distribution). I know that I should find E(X) in the normal way for each bit but I don't know if I then add them or average them or what?!? :confused:

hmm... i cant remember this stuff... well thats what that one day of revision is for :biggrin: Isn't it just:
E(X)= Intergral of (xf(x)) between + and - infinity
E(X^2)= Intergral of (x^2f(x)) between + and - infinity
if the function changes then you intergrate the functions in the range that each function is valid...
head over to rdoh.com/exams user:exams pass:ukl... get all the papers (including the solomons (I put them there :biggrin:)).... I guarantee that if you do all the papers (including the solomons) you will be very unlucky to get under 90%... I did all the solomons for P3 and i am almost 100% sure i got 90+% in P3 as a result... but then again there are about 15 p3 solomons :tongue:
Reply 17
I'm doing S2 on Wednesday (and M2) but I'm not very confident, having taught myself, and having very little time for revision (exams all of Monday, funeral on Tuesday). I'm aiming for a B though, cos I did pants in P3.
Reply 18
I'm taking S2 but I wanted to take M2 but my school wouldn't let me.
I'm predicted an A and I need an A, but I really don't want to take it. I personally don't see the point in stats (I prefer pure). Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone out there who does like it.

Does anyone know where I can get some really hard questions so I can practice because I'm really worried!
Reply 19
Alox
I'm taking S2 but I wanted to take M2 but my school wouldn't let me.
I'm predicted an A and I need an A, but I really don't want to take it. I personally don't see the point in stats (I prefer pure). Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone out there who does like it.

Does anyone know where I can get some really hard questions so I can practice because I'm really worried!

I love pure, dispise Stats, cause it is completely retarded, what with all the melarky of messing with numbers, its pants.

Latest

Trending

Trending