Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone relax before an exam? I find it really hard to stay calm - I was sick before my keats paper the other day and was shaking as i sat down in the exam room!! I calmed down once I read the question but it's probably not very good to get in such a state right before an exam - does anyone have tips on calming down?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    How does everyone relax before an exam? I find it really hard to stay calm - I was sick before my keats paper the other day and was shaking as i sat down in the exam room!! I calmed down once I read the question but it's probably not very good to get in such a state right before an exam - does anyone have tips on calming down?!
    For AS lit I actually skimmed all the questions 10 mins before the actual start of paper hehe!! I had my essay plan and all done as the test begun. This is great to get calmed down as there is such a SURGE of adrenaline when the word "START" is heard!

ReputationRep:
    Paul McKenna had some tips on how to ease exam stress in the paper the other day, it's probably on the internet somewhere. But the best advice I think is just to take deep breaths, and even close your eyes a minute or so before the exam starts and imagine you're in a relaxing place. When I'm nervous about something I always think "what's the worst that could happen?", in an exam situation the answer to that would be "i answer wrongly and i fail my exam", and then i'd think "well stressing isn't going to help that, so chill!". Believe in yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    i no how you feel.in my chemistry i had to shut the shut the exam paper half way through and calm myself down.it wasnt that the exam was difficult, i just myself in a huge flap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    For AS lit I actually skimmed all the questions 10 mins before the actual start of paper hehe!! I had my essay plan and all done as the test begun. This is great to get calmed down as there is such a SURGE of adrenaline when the word "START" is heard!
    How could you do that as I thought you weren't allowed to open the paper until they say "go", or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    How could you do that as I thought you weren't allowed to open the paper until they say "go", or whatever.
    That's what I thought.. Well that's the case for my exams anyway.

However, in my english exam the other day, the keats questions were at the bottom of the first page and so there was no writing on the cover where those questions were - it was possible to kind of see the questions backwards- or at least see that one was about odes and one was about 'the eve of st agnes'. So that calmed me once I was in there. I'm generally okay once I get started with the exam it's just before I go a bit crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    its strange but I never get nervous before or during exams! I sometimes have a little panic in the middle but soon calm down. I tend to get nervous, very nervous, before french orals though!

ReputationRep:
    I never really notice how I feel before and during exams. Performing in a lot of concerts when you're young helps you block out nerves. What's worse is coming out of the exam afterwards wishing you could've done better, but I'm getting better at ignoring those feelings too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    its strange but I never get nervous before or during exams! I sometimes have a little panic in the middle but soon calm down. I tend to get nervous, very nervous, before french orals though!
    yup!! that was the worst one. i thought i was going to cry i was that scared!

ReputationRep:
    I find cramming revision gets me worked up so i don't bother the night before, i usually go to the cinema or something to try and take my mind off it and i find it helps the next morning too. Tried calming tablets? not that drugs are the answer to everything!!!! liked the advise on deep breathing!

Good luck to every1 in ur exams (mine start tomorrow....argh!)

ReputationRep:
    How do you get yourself in such a state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethhop)
    I find cramming revision gets me worked up so i don't bother the night before, i usually go to the cinema or something to try and take my mind off it and i find it helps the next morning too. Tried calming tablets? not that drugs are the answer to everything!!!! liked the advise on deep breathing!

Good luck to every1 in ur exams (mine start tomorrow....argh!)
    how come it got so bad you needed tablets?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I just take a chill pill

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.