Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Um, they might be inclined to favour the applicants with History though?

e.g. LSE:

Straight Econ - reject
    Econ with Econ History - accept. GCSEs: 6As and 4 Bs!

But he had History and Maths.
    I'm not so keen on LSE, because I really want to get out of London, but Manchester and Warwick say you don't need to have studied Economics or History before. And look at my lovely essay writing... um, 2 A*s at GCSE English, heh I'm sure that'll do :rolleyes:!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I hadn't considered it before, but they don't ask for maths post GCSE, so I may well do now!
    indeedy - although economics with economics history under the economics department do requirement alevel maths, - so you wanna be choosing it under the economics history department

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    if you study economics as a minor, you dont look at econometrics or the maths side of the economics that much at all. you study a maths course anyways, so i dont see why a minor economics degree should require any maths requirements higher than gcse
    You need maths for Micro and Macro, it isn't just Econometrics. There is a Economics based subject where you don't look at maths at all, it's called GCE Economics. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    You need maths for Micro and Macro, it isn't just Econometrics. There is a Economics based subject where you don't look at maths at all, it's called GCE Economics. :rolleyes:
    if you do economics at minor you dont look at economics in detail, i have looked at a few course contents. Yes you need maths, but you take maths course. mechanics...etc at alevel is esp useless

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm so confused. I can't do economics, cos I don't have maths, I can't do economics hist, cos I don't have history. Maybe I should just go back to the business and management idea!

ReputationRep:
    Wolfie, you're not going to win this. I'd pull out now before you get completely lost in the hole you're digging...
    i am right!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I'm so confused. I can't do economics, cos I don't have maths, I can't do economics hist, cos I don't have history. Maybe I should just go back to the business and management idea!
    Have you considered Industrial Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Never really heard of it, though I'm sure it requires another subject I don't have!

ReputationRep:
    Baz...how much did you like Philosophy? Well, how much did you read up about it? And how easy is it to pass first year Philosophy? I'm pretty sure I could find an area I'm interested in and talk about it, but there's always the daunting interview. And Philosophy. Again.

That's what put me off PPE.

E&M is so much safer. And Business School is pretty.
    I hated philosophy. Dropped it after the first year and glad to see the back of it. I did minimal prep for the interview; they don't really ask you anything where knowledge is needed - it's just about if you can think of your feet and apply logic.

E&M is also good though, and the SBS is outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    Never really heard of it, though I'm sure it requires another subject I don't have!
    the question is do you even wanna study industrial economics at notts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to Warwick and they say Maths isn't essential, although you need an A at GCSE. Plus I know it has lower requirements at Nottingham than straight Econ (ABB) suggesting less competition.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to Warwick and they say Maths isn't essential, although you need an A at GCSE. Plus I know it has lower requirements at Nottingham than straight Econ (ABB) suggesting less competition.
    I only see it at Notts and Warwick though, no where else offers it according to UCAS? What sort of things does it involve?

ReputationRep:
    I only see it at Notts and Warwick though, no where else offers it according to UCAS? What sort of things does it involve?
    the opportunity cost of burning coal

ReputationRep:
    I did Industrial Economics as one of my courses for Finals, fairly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    the opportunity cost of burning coal
    I take it you're a fan then!

ReputationRep:
    Well as far as I know: Its more involved look at economics with business, looking at the competition commission, the history of different induestries plus most the main economics modules.

ReputationRep:
    At university? Separation of ownership and control; Theory of the firm; Structure of the firm; Competition policy; Market structure; Price discrimination; Product differentiation; Dynamic price competition. That sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Well as far as I know: Its more involved look at economics with business, looking at the competition commission, the history of different induestries plus most the main economics modules.
    So how come so few places offer it?
    And thanks PQ.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad. From those three lines, it sounds fascinating

No opportunity costs of burning coal then? Shame, shame.
    "BA Industrial Economics involves the study of theoretical and applied microeconomics, with a particular focus on the modern business enterprise and its operating environment. The degree provides its graduates with the knowledge and skills base necessary to pursue a range of general business and management careers, as well as to undertake research in economics and related areas. Around their core of industrial economics and quantitative methods modules, students have a significant flexibility to assemble an individual suite of optional modules across a range of business disciplines, and to suit their own particular academic interests and career aspirations."

It actually sounds quite good.

ReputationRep:
    "BA Industrial Economics involves the study of theoretical and applied microeconomics, with a particular focus on the modern business enterprise and its operating environment. The degree provides its graduates with the knowledge and skills base necessary to pursue a range of general business and management careers, as well as to undertake research in economics and related areas. Around their core of industrial economics and quantitative methods modules, students have a significant flexibility to assemble an individual suite of optional modules across a range of business disciplines, and to suit their own particular academic interests and career aspirations."

It actually sounds quite good.
    Is that from Nottingham?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.