Should I continue my course?

Watch this thread
username2299441
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm a first year student studying Hotel Resort and Tourism Management but I'm unsure if I want to carry on at uni. I love the subject itself, but do not enjoy uni at all. I had a gap year and though I had never wanted to go to uni before I decided that it was the right thing to do so I could progress in the industry. Since being at uni I was offered a job in a hotel and I love it, and I just want to work full time as opposed to a few shifts a week.

The only problem is I don't like being a quitter and I don't know if I need the degree to progress to management one day. I miss working near enough full time and uni life really isn't for me. I like who I live with and have some good times, but I can't do the work. I've always liked writing essays and I understand the ones I have to do yet I can still never seem to do the work. The lectures themselves are rubbish (besides one) so nobody really turns up, but I don't want to leave and then regret it because I can't progress.

Any advice from someone who's been through something like this would be great!
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
That's a difficult decision. I am not going through it but I thought it would be nice for you to get a reply at all.

I've had times when I was thinking if it wouldn't be better to have a job than be at uni. Well, I am seeing it through, but I am not sure I would do it again.

Could you not go back to university when you want to progress but need a degree?

I wish I could say you could continue with your degree with the open university, but I don't think they do anything related to what you are studying now.

The most important question though, would it even be possible to go full-tim, ie would the hotel allow you to?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Why not ask to have a chat with one of the managers where you work? They will have worked their way up in the business and will be able to tell you whether or not a degree is advantageous. Also - brownie points for enthusiasm and ambition.
username2299441
Rep:
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
That's a difficult decision. I am not going through it but I thought it would be nice for you to get a reply at all.

I've had times when I was thinking if it wouldn't be better to have a job than be at uni. Well, I am seeing it through, but I am not sure I would do it again.

Could you not go back to university when you want to progress but need a degree?

I wish I could say you could continue with your degree with the open university, but I don't think they do anything related to what you are studying now.

The most important question though, would it even be possible to go full-tim, ie would the hotel allow you to?
I think I am going to talk to the hotel, I need to see what my options are! They do a 1 year placement which leads to management I can be considered for but I won't be able to do that with uni till 3rd year, I don't know if they do that outside of uni.
username2299441
Rep:
(Original post by Klix88)
Why not ask to have a chat with one of the managers where you work? They will have worked their way up in the business and will be able to tell you whether or not a degree is advantageous. Also - brownie points for enthusiasm and ambition.
Yeah I think I will. I'm going to talk to one of my lecturers too to see what he thinks since he didn't get a degree till he wanted to teach. Thank you for the reply!
amar987
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KitaMB)
Yeah I think I will. I'm going to talk to one of my lecturers too to see what he thinks since he didn't get a degree till he wanted to teach. Thank you for the reply!
Hi, im also interested in hotel management and thinking of studying hospitality management. Could you tell me how your talk went and maybe if there is an alternative career path? Thanks...
username2299441
Rep:
(Original post by amar987)
Hi, im also interested in hotel management and thinking of studying hospitality management. Could you tell me how your talk went and maybe if there is an alternative career path? Thanks...
Uni basically said don't leave because 1. the hotel will be nice now, but can ditch you in a heartbeat and have no real commitment to you. And 2. because eventually you will need a degree to progress.

So if you're really serious about it I'd say go for it, I'm however considering other courses now as things have changed at the hotel and things aren't what they were. Glad I didn't drop out of uni altogether. The lifestyle I have due to working at the hotel is not for me anymore.

Hope this helps you, good luck with uni!
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you've found a job you love, I'd say go for it, but don't be too hasty making a decision
username2299441
Rep:
(Original post by Blondie987)
If you've found a job you love, I'd say go for it, but don't be too hasty making a decision
You're completely right, and now I'm glad I didn't make any decisions. The job isn't so good anymore and I would have made a huge mistake. It's actually making me reconsider being in the industry.
automobile
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KitaMB)
You're completely right, and now I'm glad I didn't make any decisions. The job isn't so good anymore and I would have made a huge mistake. It's actually making me reconsider being in the industry.
yeah I was going to say, this job might be good in the now but in the future you might outgrow it so having the degree as a back up to get into another job somewhere else will be good for you, I'm studying psychology and I'd prefer to work my way up somehow but a degree is just like a safety net really, helps you have more options
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (40)
17.86%
The paper was reasonable (88)
39.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (49)
21.88%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
20.98%

Watched Threads