help to not look at FB and other SM whilst trying to revise

Watch
jansym
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i know there are some technological assistance to block social media when I'm trying to revise.
Any ideas what they are?
9apart from the obvious of switching off!)
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Blindfold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you use your phone to look at social media, leave it somewhere else. So if you are revising in your bedroom, leave your phone in another room.
Or use one of the add ons for your browser to block access to the websites for a certain amount of time
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, use this.
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Delete your fb account, that is what I am going to do.

If you do that, it will help you in the long run.
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
Yes, use this.
I used Cold Turkey and it was a big mistake. I do not know what happened to mine, I even paid what was said to be $19.99 but it must have been converted to pounds. Overall though I paid for the pro version and then clicked on the active days for when I needed those sites to be blocked. Instead of the programme following what I had chosen, the sites became blocked 24/7 and it was supposed to only block certain sites and certain times. Initially I thought maybe it was because of different time zones since it is a US based programme however because it was always not working- I got fed up and then uninstalled it because still I was not able to access sites. Turned out it had changed and written my DNS code even after I had uninstalled it. So even after uninstalling, I couldn't get through. I later emailed the owner named Felix, he was extremely nice and patient though; he helped me re-write the code again and said he gave me a refund (not sure about this since I didn't actually check lol). Overall though, be careful those who would like to get ColdTurkey because I had a month of not receiving sites like Youtube when I actually needed it to help self teach a level subject. I should have thought it threw but I didn't know it would backfire.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know about specific software, but I found changing the passwords to something difficult to remember, writing them down and logging out works. Give the passwords to someone or place them somewhere where you can't get to them easily and it adds a extra bit of distance.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jansym)
i know there are some technological assistance to block social media when I'm trying to revise.
Any ideas what they are?
9apart from the obvious of switching off!)
Scenario 1 - your notes are all on the Internet (Dropbox, OneDrive, &c): Download your notes in a format you can readily read without remaining connected to the Internet. Turn off WiFi.

Scenario 2 - same as scenario 1, but you have access to a printer: Download your notes, and print them. Turn off computer.

Scenario 3 - your notes are on your computer: Turn WiFi off and get revising.

Scenario 4 - same as scenario 3, but you have access to a printer: Print your notes. Turn off computer.

Scenario 5 - your notes are on your phone: Which probably means you can access them through some nature of cloud service such as OneNote. Download notes. Turn off WiFi.

Scenario 6 - same as scenario 5, but you have a printer: You should see where this is going by now.

Scenario 7 - your notes are handwritten: WHY ARE YOU EVEN ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Basically... what's your problem with turning the computer off?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed