The Student Room Group

Changing Course - How to reference in personal statement?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of writing my personal statement, and I need a little help. I previously studies architecture at college for 2 years, where I graduate with an HND at A level, and then went on to study 2 years at university. After much deliberation, I decided architecture wasn't the route I wanted to take, and decided to drop out to study something I had a passion for. I have instead decided to study Game Design, and I need help deciding how I should reference my prior college and university studies that will reflect positively for my new course.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of circumstance? Will it be viewed negatively that I left my previous course? Any help that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
It's certainly not unheard of to change courses. It will be in your education section, but focus on why game design, rather than why architecture wasn't for you
On a different note, how are you going to finance it?

You already used up 2 years of funding, so you probably have to pay for the first year yourself. SFE usually give one year extra, in case you change course etc. But for you it's been 2 years. If you have mitigating circumstances, then it should be fine.
Maybe focus on similarities between the areas of study. Games definitely involve components of architecture, I would have thought.
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
It's certainly not unheard of to change courses. It will be in your education section, but focus on why game design, rather than why architecture wasn't for you

True. Being a creative field, there are plenty of transferable skills that I should be able to emphasise.

Original post by Miss_mischy
On a different note, how are you going to finance it?

You already used up 2 years of funding, so you probably have to pay for the first year yourself. SFE usually give one year extra, in case you change course etc. But for you it's been 2 years. If you have mitigating circumstances, then it should be fine.

I should probably have mentioned that I'm a Scottish student. SAAS provides 4 years of tuition, which I have used. I'm fully prepared to fund my tuition fees. 1 year at college at ~£1200, and 3 years at university at ~£1800/year.

I should probably have mentioned that I'm a Scottish student. SAAS provides 4 years of tuition, which I have used. I'm fully prepared to fund my tuition fees. 1 year at college at ~£1200, and 3 years at university at ~£1800/year.

Are you applying to Scottish universities then? If they would be in England you would have to pay the full 9000£.
Reply 6
Original post by Miss_mischy
Are you applying to Scottish universities then? If they would be in England you would have to pay the full 9000£.

Yeah, unfortunately the cost of tuition down South keeps me rooted here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending