The Student Room Group

Are the best universities the poshest universities?

Scroll to see replies

I've returned to the commercial sector, but have a continuing interest in academia, as a parallel universe.

We're off topic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Joinedup
Well when they get to university former independent school pupils underperform former state pupils with the same grades...

the two leading hypotheses seem to boil down to either 'excessive spoonfeeding' or 'superficial polish' http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2013/06/two-new-reports-confirm-that-state-school-pupils-outperform-independent-ones-at-university/

Afraid that that article is outdated and they actually reported a mistake...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/university-funding-body-made-disturbing-blunder-with-claim-state-school-students-perform-better-a6718201.html

The HEFCE mistake was in 2015, the article I linked reported an earlier HEFCE report... 2013 is somewhat old - see below.

The corrected HEFCE report and the one quoted in the article show broadly the same thing, private school educated students get better degree classifications than state... When the HEFCE looks at school type and entry grades, the independent school underperformance found by the Sutton Trust, OBU and Cardiff reappears...

For all but those with the very highest A-level grades, state school graduates tend to have higher degree outcomes than independent school graduates with the same prior educational attainment

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/year/2015/201521/
Reply 23
Original post by Joinedup
The HEFCE mistake was in 2015, the article I linked reported an earlier HEFCE report... 2013 is somewhat old - see below.

The corrected HEFCE report and the one quoted in the article show broadly the same thing, private school educated students get better degree classifications than state... When the HEFCE looks at school type and entry grades, the independent school underperformance found by the Sutton Trust, OBU and Cardiff reappears...

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/year/2015/201521/

“for all but those with the very highest A-level grades, state school graduates tend to have higher degree outcomes than independent school graduates with the same prior educational attainment”.

oh yeah
not really. imperial is arguably the best university for engineering in the uk but when i think of imperial i don't think of 'posh'
Exactly, there's absolutely nothing posh about a University in the centre of London with the 3rd lowest acceptance rates and the 6th highest percentage of private school students.
Original post by Howard
Best in what perspective?

Robert Gordon University is ranked about 55 but is the best university for graduate employment. Another middle of the road ex poly - Reading probably has the best construction management programmes. Oxford and Cambridge in contrast are definitely best at teaching posh kids PPE and Anglo Saxon Studies.

Some universities (in particular in the US) are fantastic research institutions - MIT, Stanford, Yale, Harvard etc - but their teaching is actually pretty mediocre. Their professors are so busy writing arcane papers for publishing in obscure journals that nobody ever reads that the dirty work of teaching of undergraduates often falls to hapless PHd students. The quality of law teaching is a particular case in point - you won't get a better legal education from Yale than you will from the University of New Mexico - but you'll get a diploma that makes you more employable.

FYI Howard, Reading is not an ex-poly. It grew out of an extension college established by, of all places, Christ Church Oxford before receiving its charter in 1926. So it's much grander than other redbricks :-). I have no connection with the university.
Original post by anonwinner
Exactly, there's absolutely nothing posh about a University in the centre of London with the 3rd lowest acceptance rates and the 6th highest percentage of private school students.

Not just the centre of London, it's in South Kensington. Not many other posher postcodes than that :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
A thing to consider is that the stats here show people who had a "private education" but it's important to note that this covers private international schools international students having taken IB or A-Levels will have studied at. Essentially, these stats convey both percentage of old boys at a given uni alongside the percentage of international students. The ambiguity of the stats makes the chart not hugely meaningful.
Reply 29
Original post by Stychomythia
FYI Howard, Reading is not an ex-poly. It grew out of an extension college established by, of all places, Christ Church Oxford before receiving its charter in 1926. So it's much grander than other redbricks :-). I have no connection with the university.

I didn't know that.
Many internationals who went to private schools so the first thing you wouldn't think of is posh. Current Imperial student in their second year.

Original post by InadequateJusticex
Not just the centre of London, it's in South Kensington. Not many other posher postcodes than that :lol:

...but South Ken is indeed very posh and nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending