Is the descending limb of the loop of henle impermeable to ions? Watch

Bubblybabybling
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In my textbook it says ions move into the descending limb, but a youtube video says that this limb is impermeable to ions- whats correct?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bubblybabybling)
In my textbook it says ions move into the descending limb, but a youtube video says that this limb is impermeable to ions- whats correct?
The descending limb is highly permeable to water but impermeable to ions, e.g. Na+, K+, Cl-. The ascending limb is highly permeable to ions and almost impermeable (but still a bit permeable) to water.
blessed107
Badges: 9
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
The descending limb is highly permeable to water but impermeable to ions, e.g. Na+, K+, Cl-. The ascending limb is highly permeable to ions and almost impermeable (but still a bit permeable) to water.
Do Sodium and chlorine ions move out of the ascending limb into decending limb? If so how can in move into descending limb if it's impermeable
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blessed107)
Do Sodium and chlorine ions move out of the ascending limb into decending limb? If so how can in move into descending limb if it's impermeable
The descending limb and the ascending limb are continuous parts of a nephron:

The nephron is a three-dimensional structure that is surrounded by interstitial fluid, and there is a blood vessel called the vasa recta, which is where the solutes from the nephron are reabsorbed into:

This shows what is reabsorbed where from the loop of Henle:

So the contents of the nephron (the filtrate) moves freely from the descending limb to the ascending limb, but not all constituents of the filtrate can be reabsorbed from each area of the loop of Henle into the interstitial fluid (surrounding the nephron).

Hope this makes sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (135)
48.04%
No (37)
13.17%
I'm not old enough (109)
38.79%

Watched Threads