How do I tell my mum I think I might be bipolar?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Normally my mum and I are really open and honest with each other. I have a whole list of various mental and physical health disorders, but this is different. See, my dad had bipolar, and it messed with her head. When he was manic, he loved her to the point of shouting it from the rooftops (literally), but when he was depressed he'd beat her up, and us kids, too (there's 3 of us). He did something in one of his depressed phases that literally gave my sister PTSD. Eventually his depression lead to his death (he ODd). She's still shaken up about it, nearly 3 years later. She always said she loved him but could never marry someone like that again as the stress half killed her (she suffered stress-related health problems).
Recently I've been seeing some behaviours in myself that I saw in my dad. I won't go into specifics, but they seem like very clear signs of mania and depression. I've booked a doctors appointment for a couple of weeks away, and in the meantime I've got to tell my mum. I literally don't know how to get the words out. How on Earth do I tell her that her son might have the same illness that ruined her husband?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
That sounds difficult. I myself am bipolar, but I don't get full-blown manic.

The best thing to do is also to educate yourself about symtomps of mania and depression.

I wonder, wouldn't your mother have noticed that something is also happening to you? Surely she must have seen your behaviour and made her own conclusion. There is no way that bipolar goes unnoticed to your mother if she already has knowledge of bipolar.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Normally my mum and I are really open and honest with each other. I have a whole list of various mental and physical health disorders, but this is different. See, my dad had bipolar, and it messed with her head. When he was manic, he loved her to the point of shouting it from the rooftops (literally), but when he was depressed he'd beat her up, and us kids, too (there's 3 of us). He did something in one of his depressed phases that literally gave my sister PTSD. Eventually his depression lead to his death (he ODd). She's still shaken up about it, nearly 3 years later. She always said she loved him but could never marry someone like that again as the stress half killed her (she suffered stress-related health problems).
Recently I've been seeing some behaviours in myself that I saw in my dad. I won't go into specifics, but they seem like very clear signs of mania and depression. I've booked a doctors appointment for a couple of weeks away, and in the meantime I've got to tell my mum. I literally don't know how to get the words out. How on Earth do I tell her that her son might have the same illness that ruined her husband?
I think, you might begin with talking openly about your symptoms and then over worries you might resemble your dad. It is hereditary to a certain extent, but it does not mean, that it turns into the same direction as it did with your dad, especially if you are aware of the danger and seek treatment early, as you seem to do.

I don't see a certain need to mention the diagnosis, though to tell your mom, you booked a doctors appointment and want to find out seems reasonable. Maybe it helps, if your and your mom iform yourself over treatments and all the different outcomes and severities of that illness, that may ease the stress and make you both more positively. Though it probably is good to get into the appointment without to heavily focussing on that.

I personally to know both ways, one ended up like the parent (really really bad), another got disgnosis and treatment, stick to it and lives a happy and productive live. So no, in case you get a diagnosis, you don't need to end up as your father, but yes it is very sensible to take early action (as you do).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
That sounds difficult. I myself am bipolar, but I don't get full-blown manic.

The best thing to do is also to educate yourself about symtomps of mania and depression.

I wonder, wouldn't your mother have noticed that something is also happening to you? Surely she must have seen your behaviour and made her own conclusion. There is no way that bipolar goes unnoticed to your mother if she already has knowledge of bipolar.
As mentioned, I already have quite a few mental health disorders, and my behaviour has been different enough for me to notice (as I know the specific ins and outs of my symptoms) but from an outsiders perspective it may just seem like nothing out of the ordinary considering what I have.
May I ask how you went about telling those close to you that you are bipolar?
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
As mentioned, I already have quite a few mental health disorders, and my behaviour has been different enough for me to notice (as I know the specific ins and outs of my symptoms) but from an outsiders perspective it may just seem like nothing out of the ordinary considering what I have.
May I ask how you went about telling those close to you that you are bipolar?
I was living away from home when I was diagnosed,ie. I was at uni. I had previously been diagnosed with unipolar depression but when the doctor run out of options on what antidepressant to give me next, they send me to a psychiatrist that re-diagnosed me with bipolar. I think I sent a message to my mother that I've been re-diagnosed, but I don't remember if I had told her about the appointment or not. It's been a few years. No one in my family has been diagnosed bipolar, so it's a different situation to yours. Also, living away from home changes the situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads