MPhil Medical Sciences at Cambridge

Watch
whybanana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
helloo all
I am currently a biochemistry undergraduate at a top US institution and was wondering if anyone had any information on the Medical Sciences MPhil at Cambridge (specifically the one at the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute).I'm currently working a very promising project that has strong ties to the kind of research CRUKCI is doing. After a little Internet perusal, I found the MPhil program offered there to be quite interesting.

Is doing an MPhil (in medical sciences) at Cambridge worth it, considering how expensive it is (especially for overseas students)?

What are the chances to being admitted to the program? Just looking at the statistics available online, it seems like >60% of overseas applicants (like, 5 out of 8 applicants) are admitted to the program. Is this considered competitive by UK standards? Also, why are there so few applicants? (haha)

What is generally considered the most important part of an application to this or similar programs? Grades? Research experience? Publications?

Has anyone here applied to/been admitted to any of the MPhil programs in Medical Science at Cambridge?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only way to find out is to apply. There are a number of reasons why people may or may not apply to certain unis and for certain courses. Make sure you meet the entry requirements and have a strong application (PS, references, experience).
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it worth it? Only you can answer this. What are your priorities? Are you interested in doing an MPhil because it's Cambridge or because the research is stimulating? Do you think you would do well in an environment such as Cambridge? Will you go into huge debt afterwards and if so, is this something bothers you? (debt is perceived in different ways by different people).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads