Turn on thread page Beta

A non-forum based UKL? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you think, i think that perhaps if you make this a website that deals with issues, articles, perhaps student news thats relevant to students it may be more useful than a forum only service, just my opinion, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    could be good but then again it's a forum so a thread could be started up bout nething that studetns may need and it does include all the things that students need...i mean students get a better idea of what they need to do form other studetns that are on the forum...so i think this is cool, but if tehy wanted to change it then that would be cool and wouldnt bother me!

ReputationRep:
    or maybe a chatroom could be added

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    What do you think, i think that perhaps if you make this a website that deals with issues, articles, perhaps student news thats relevant to students it may be more useful than a forum only service, just my opinion, what do you think?
    We already sort of have that

http://directory.uk-learning.net/

Although it dosn't have as much as what you say, there is virginstudent and studentuk.com though, although studentuk.com is like a ghost town these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

Although it dosn't have as much as what you say, there is virginstudent and studentuk.com though, although studentuk.com is like a ghost town these days.
    heehee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleredfrog)
    could be good but then again it's a forum so a thread could be started up bout nething that studetns may need and it does include all the things that students need...i mean students get a better idea of what they need to do form other studetns that are on the forum...so i think this is cool, but if tehy wanted to change it then that would be cool and wouldnt bother me!
    true but its usually hard to find what ur lookin for, i mean if the website had articles about universities or other stuff it may stop the 'repettion' of threads and question e.g 'Is Durham good' 'should i choose Durham' 'why not Durham'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

yea ive seen that but im talkin bout sumthing like

www.interstudent.co.uk

imo studentuk is slowly becoming a wee bit boring, i just think that more things should be added then simply a forum to keep it interesting i mean if you look at all the threads right now, pple are too bored and mostly fishing for anything stupid to post, but if you have student news or sumthin like that then u can have sumthin to talk about

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit like a question on an ICT paper. "What are the advantages of message forums?" Well, I think it should stay as a forum, but add a few new things. Message boards are good because you can ask specific questions and people with all different knowledges can answer, whereas say a chatroom, not everyone could be there who could answer your question at that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    This is a bit like a question on an ICT paper. "What are the advantages of message forums?" Well, I think it should stay as a forum, but add a few new things. Message boards are good because you can ask specific questions and people with all different knowledges can answer, whereas say a chatroom, not everyone could be there who could answer your question at that time.
    Yea but i didnt say scrap the forum and put something new, i think that the forum should still be kept but maybe it shouldnt be the 'Only' focus of this website

ReputationRep:
    Yea but i didnt say scrap the forum and put something new, i think that the forum should still be kept but maybe it shouldnt be the 'Only' focus of this website
    Yeah true, I think the Directory needs to be expanded and advertised on more of the front page of the website.

------------------------------

Ooh! I become a respected member on this post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    Yeah true, I think the Directory needs to be expanded and advertised on more of the front page of the website.

------------------------------

Ooh! I become a respected member on this post!
    i agree, that could be a start.

ReputationRep:
    UK-Learning.Net
    Popular student forum. Features the popular character "bloodhound" who posts witty and insightful comments on such topics as Bulgarian Literature and middle-eastern and Aramaic high art.
    what the hell? ROFL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    what the hell? ROFL
    Lol im guessing bloodhound's the editor who put it in the directory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    Lol im guessing bloodhound's the editor who put it in the directory
    he was a member way back but got banned for spamming (like bono) i vaguely remember him, he just left when i arrived

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    he was a member way back but got banned for spamming (like bono) i vaguely remember him, he just left when i arrived
    how times change :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    or maybe a chatroom could be added
    There was a chat room, hardly anyone used it.

ReputationRep:
    Thee have been quite a few chatrooms but they die very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    the conversations in a chatroom would be even more trivial than all the stuff here (not that I dislike that it's trivial). I personally favour using messengers over chat rooms.

MB

ReputationRep:
    yeah a chatroom would be good, maybe with each topic, Like a chatrrom for general chat, chatroom for universities etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    yeah a chatroom would be good, maybe with each topic, Like a chatrrom for general chat, chatroom for universities etc...
    Aw come on, how many people would use it if it was split up that much...

Nah, I think we could have articles, but they'd have to be kinda as part of the forum. So any member can post one to a "new submissions" subforum, but only the moderators can actually put stuff into the articles pages. Basically, the articles pages could be like forums which we can't edit except for a little subforum for new things we want to submit.

Maybe there could be an Articles Editor? Someone with responsibility for choosing which articles are put up? Of course, all of the articles themselves would be written by UKL people.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.