The Student Room Group

Serious Period Issues

I'm 18 years old and have had the IUD for 4 months now, my periods have always been on time and heavy, its uncomfortable and the cramps are pretty common.

The IUD didn't do anything to my periods other than make them start earlier, and last a week longer. It will last 2 weeks with regular cramps a week before and during the period. Regardless of it being heavy it have had any serious issues until yesterday: I was in college and changed the sanitary towel, after only 30 minutes the period had bleed through everything including my jeans. I only noticed when I stood up to see blood stains on my chair.

Completely humiliated I had to go to the student support room and borrow a pair of the "Uniformed Services" uniforms so I could stay in college (I live too far away) and later the same day bled through them again, I really don't want this to happen again and the bleeding is only getting stronger.

Is there anything I can do? I have previously used the combined pill for about 2 months (before getting the IUD) and it didn't work, plus after reading into more it can affect the chances of having children, which is important because I want to have kids. I have called the GP but chances are they won't call back. Please may you help me, its horrible. I'm sorry if this is awkward subject but I need advice. Thank you
This is really something to discuss with the doctor but with the heavy bleeding, why don't you wear a tampon with a sanitary towel to catch the bleeding before it goes through your clothes. Bring extra pairs of clothes and have an ample supply of tampons/sanitary towels.
Talk to your teachers as well so they understand the situation and won't get frustrated when you keep going to the bathroom.
Hope this helped a bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
as mentioned above, speak to your GP :yep: you can also go to a pharmacy and ask if Tranexamic acid is suitable for you, it's a medicine that helps with heavy periods but you have to ask for it over the counter because there's limits on who it's suitable for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JemAllen9
I'm 18 years old and have had the IUD for 4 months now, my periods have always been on time and heavy, its uncomfortable and the cramps are pretty common.

The IUD didn't do anything to my periods other than make them start earlier, and last a week longer. It will last 2 weeks with regular cramps a week before and during the period. Regardless of it being heavy it have had any serious issues until yesterday: I was in college and changed the sanitary towel, after only 30 minutes the period had bleed through everything including my jeans. I only noticed when I stood up to see blood stains on my chair.

Completely humiliated I had to go to the student support room and borrow a pair of the "Uniformed Services" uniforms so I could stay in college (I live too far away) and later the same day bled through them again, I really don't want this to happen again and the bleeding is only getting stronger.

Is there anything I can do? I have previously used the combined pill for about 2 months (before getting the IUD) and it didn't work, plus after reading into more it can affect the chances of having children, which is important because I want to have kids. I have called the GP but chances are they won't call back. Please may you help me, its horrible. I'm sorry if this is awkward subject but I need advice. Thank you

I would say you need to speak to a health professional to see if you can change to a different type of contraception, there's still things like mini pills and the injection or implant you could try or there are medications that can help lessen bleeding so there's definitely something they can do to help. Make a hassle with calling the gp if you have to, if the bleeding gets too much try and see someone out of hours or possibly a&e.
Reply 4
OP, I know your pain. I have the implant andit gave me a five week period - the mini pill didn't help, only made it worse, and I can't take the combined pill anymore.

You should ask your GP for Norethisterone. That's what I am on now andit has finally stopped my period. Tranexamic acid is sometimes helpful too, I have had that prescribed by my GP too.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I would say you need to speak to a health professional to see if you can change to a different type of contraception, there's still things like mini pills and the injection or implant you could try or there are medications that can help lessen bleeding so there's definitely something they can do to help. Make a hassle with calling the gp if you have to, if the bleeding gets too much try and see someone out of hours or possibly a&e.

Thank you for your advice, I tried the Arm Implant and it cause some issues. The doctor at the Sexual Health Clinic said its best if I avoid hormone based contraception. So I'm really stuck on what to do
Thank you for your advice, I tried the Arm Implant and it cause some issues. The doctor at the Sexual Health Clinic said its best if I avoid hormone based contraception. So I'm really stuck on what to do

Have you tried the copper coil? it's not hormone based (sorry if that's the one you've tried, my reading comprehension isn't great today)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's always barrier methods if hormonal isnt good for you but like other posts have said you can always try something to stop the bleeding first.
Reply 8
Original post by Odd socks
Have you tried the copper coil? it's not hormone based (sorry if that's the one you've tried, my reading comprehension isn't great today)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have the IUD which is the copper coil (the IUS is the hormone coil) and I've had that for 4 months, it has made the bleeding heavier and longer.
Yes, I have the IUD which is the copper coil (the IUS is the hormone coil) and I've had that for 4 months, it has made the bleeding heavier and longer.

ah okay, sorry :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Eigo-Jin
This is really something to discuss with the doctor but with the heavy bleeding, why don't you wear a tampon with a sanitary towel to catch the bleeding before it goes through your clothes. Bring extra pairs of clothes and have an ample supply of tampons/sanitary towels.
Talk to your teachers as well so they understand the situation and won't get frustrated when you keep going to the bathroom.
Hope this helped a bit.

That is a good idea, but the blood won't wash out (it's been through the wash 3 time now) and I actually take a full pack of towels with me... and I did try tampons but they are very uncomfortable. Without sounding petty I would like to keep it discreet as the other day when I had to borrow uniform I was pestered by other student in the class and they made jokes because the pants were too big on me.
Is there anything I can do? I have previously used the combined pill for about 2 months (before getting the IUD) and it didn't work, plus after reading into more it can affect the chances of having children, which is important because I want to have kids.

I had the same problem as you but the contraceptive pill worked and helped sort my periods out, so I'm not sure what to suggest. However, I'm not sure on the pill affecting your fertility? I have pretty low chances of conceiving and I really want children too but my doctor said it shouldn't affect my chances at all. :redface:
That is a good idea, but the blood won't wash out (it's been through the wash 3 time now) and I actually take a full pack of towels with me... and I did try tampons but they are very uncomfortable. Without sounding petty I would like to keep it discreet as the other day when I had to borrow uniform I was pestered by other student in the class and they made jokes because the pants were too big on me.

Ok then, but won't your teachers be discreet without telling the students?
Reply 13
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Ok then, but won't your teachers be discreet without telling the students?

yes, but that won't stop the students constantly questioning me on why I keep changing my pants randomly. The girls would probably click on but its still a huge hassle

As far as I know that's what it does to most people. It's normal, sadly.

That's the reason why I won't get the copper, even though I probably should because I'm on meds that reduce the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptive.

I've got the implant and I don't have any periods anymore.
Oh man, I've been in that position (bleeding heavily onto chairs at school, insane clots, 2-3 week length). That was pre-contraception. I'm on the Evra Patch which is a weekly contraception - periods are much lighter, last about 5 days and the cramp is usually only bad for a day.

I'm sure the IUD was renown for causing bad periods. I've heard so many people in the same situation you're in.
Go back to your Dr - contraception is supposed to make life easier for you. what you're saying doesn't sound fun.
Reply 16

Could you try the IUS? Its a lower dose than other hormonal methods and localised so it is less likely to have side effects. A few of my friends have it and said it made their periods lighter, less painful and shorter or stopped them completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard from a few friends (all who seemed to struggle with hormone contraceptives) that they seemed to do a lot better on the progestegon-only pill (mini pill or pop) rather than the combined pill. Maybe it's worth talking to your GP about? Personally, I've been using the progestegon-only pill for 4 years, and I've never had a problem with it. Good luck, and I hope you find something which works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest