Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First post :cool:
    Just gone in after AS exams and been told we're doing C1-4, instead of carrying on with M2 / P2 + P3.
    This would leave us with S1, M1 and C1-4 counting towards the full A2.
    I have no idea what the C modules are like, although have been told they are basically Pure.. yet they will still give us the same if not more of a foundation in Pure maths than if we did Pure 1-3..

Anyone heard of them before? i cant find a thing on them anywhere plus i dont see anyone talking about them.. if so are they new or old, and what kinda stuff is involved with them comparitively.

ReputationRep:
    (started a new thread )

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware all they have done is taken the exat same content of P1-3 and split it into 4 'Core' modules C1-4. In other words, they have made the maths A-level easier because too many people were failing.

ReputationRep:
    yes, they have made it easier, you now do C1-4, plus two applied units, c1-4 have the content of P1-3 so there is less work

ReputationRep:
    i think this is silly. making maths a-level easier just means that having a maths a-level is worth less. A-level maths is meant to be a prestigious accolade....just my opinion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rustyk1)
    i think this is silly. making maths a-level easier just means that having a maths a-level is worth less. A-level maths is meant to be a prestigious accolade....just my opinion...

Their reasoning is prestige aside, not enough people have maths qualifications, and so even if it means lowering the value of a maths qualification, it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rustyk1)
    Indeed. Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Their reasoning is prestige aside, not enough people have maths qualifications, and so even if it means lowering the value of a maths qualification, it's worth it.
    If people are failing maths, they should not be taking it. It is not the other way around, the exam boards are not there to set exams that everybody can pass. Perhaps that is a harsh view, but I really do think this change is a big mistake.

The problem is that currently there are a significant number of people who can get A grades in maths and f.maths without too much difficulty. Now, you will get people like that in any subject but I think that there are a lot of people who are not challenged by the current maths a-levels: the edexcel june 03 reports states that 35% of maths a-levels were grade A while the percentage was over 50% for f.maths. Of course, what is happening is that the only people doing a full maths a-level and particularly f.maths are the people who are more likely to get As, but the statistics do not look good. In which case, what effect will making the a-level easier have? Lets be honest, maths is a hard subject; however, making it easier will just increase the number of people who can just walk through the a-level without too much effort and the end result of that is not a good one, it is certainly not what the universities want.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.