marmbite
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I got 41/72 in my C1 mock, which was a U, in needed 42 to get an E (1 mark!, the teacher did try and find it for me).
All but 2 people in my class got U's so I was still 3rd highest in the class, but I still failed. In the last C1 paper we did I got a C, everybody has gone down since then.
My target grade is an A and I need to get an A, I wasn't expecting that yet but a U is appalling, I've never failed an exam before.
I did some revision for the exam with some practice exam questions. I understand what I do in class but in the test it doesn't seem to have happened.
What should I do from now so I can still get an A, and get up to a higher level as soon as possible?
Also my parents are disappointed and I've tried explaining, but they expect me to be doing well and should never get a U.

(My exam board is OCR by the way, and my other subjects are geography, chemistry and physics which also keep me very busy. I got an A* in maths at GCSE)
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marmbite)
I got 41/72 in my C1 mock, which was a U, in needed 42 to get an E (1 mark!, the teacher did try and find it for me).
All but 2 people in my class got U's so I was still 3rd highest in the class, but I still failed. In the last C1 paper we did I got a C, everybody has gone down since then.
My target grade is an A and I need to get an A, I wasn't expecting that yet but a U is appalling, I've never failed an exam before.
I did some revision for the exam with some practice exam questions. I understand what I do in class but in the test it doesn't seem to have happened.
What should I do from now so I can still get an A, and get up to a higher level as soon as possible?
Also my parents are disappointed and I've tried explaining, but they expect me to be doing well and should never get a U.

(My exam board is OCR by the way, and my other subjects are geography, chemistry and physics which also keep me very busy.
Parents often underestimate how difficult A-levels are and how easy it is to get a U or an E. You should probably just apoligise and show them that you'll work harder.

...and work harder. You'll probably have another mock in January - so there is some time left to go over the content again, practice as many questions as you can and look at past papers. In particular, look back at the paper you did (if you can) and see what went wrong, and shape your learning based on that.

There is still plenty of time until the actual exams anyway, so don't lose hope!

Best of luck.
UnknownDude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Exam Solutions. You'll get A if you watch all videos and make notes on them.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Watching videos is only effective if you then do loads of practice questions.
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Watching videos is only effective if you then do loads of practice questions.
With understanding - just watching the videos, understanding the concepts and making notes - you can easily get 60+. With added practice as well, you will definitely be in the 70+ and most likely 75.
EastGuava
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by UnknownDude)
With understanding - just watching the videos, understanding the concepts and making notes - you can easily get 60+. With added practice as well, you will definitely be in the 70+ and most likely 75.
75 out of 72? :eek: Teach me
Harriet__P
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Keep doing past exam papers and ask your teacher of anything you don't understand. You will soon fine, especially with C1, that the same kind of questions come up over and over. Don't panic now as you've still got loads of time! Ask for help and keep reviewing and you'll soon be getting an A! This time next year you'll be saying C1 is easy!
UnknownDude
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EastGuava)
75 out of 72? :eek: Teach me
Isn't the paper out of 75?

EDIT: Oops, sorry was referring to Edexcel C1. Indeed if you do OCR, then with practice and exam solutions, you'll get 72.
Zakiiiii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a D in my mocks, i was devastated too, i still cant believe it, i revised a lot; i did like 10 past papers, i really want and need to get an A or an A* by the end of A level, coz i wanna do engineering i thought i'de do best in maths but i did worse in that
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zakiiiii)
I got a D in my mocks, i was devastated too, i still cant believe it, i revised a lot; i did like 10 past papers, i really want and need to get an A or an A* by the end of A level, coz i wanna do engineering i thought i'de do best in maths but i did worse in that
It gets to show how much work A level maths requires ....
Good old GCSE ...
xoharrypotter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do you do ocr or ocr mei?
i can totally understand you, i did loads of work for maths, i read all the wrong revision guides (cgp for maths at alevel is rubbish) but still ended up with a U, 29/72 (mocks)
In the real thing however I prepared using past papers, the integral website if your school has it, and using the textbook
honestly I did no work at all before the mocks from my text book (minus the stuff we did in class/homework) yet it was my biggest mistake
USE YOUR TEXTBOOK its actually amazing, the questions build you up for the past paper questions
just your textbook & past papers alone could get you an A
videos are also super useful but im using them for chemistry, maths doesnt seem to work for me
if your watching videos make notes as the person speaks
they are super useful in the sense you can stop the video so you can write something down, or rewind it if you dont understand something
good luck with your maths
practise is key and if you practise you cant go wrong
(also dont just go straight to the past papers, do textbook questions first or they wont be very helpful)
Louisb19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marmbite)

(My exam board is OCR by the way, and my other subjects are geography, chemistry and physics which also keep me very busy. I got an A* in maths at GCSE)
I got a U for my AS C1 mock and 96% for the real thing. Do past papers and go through either the textbook or exam solutions (the website) thoroughly.
Zakiiiii
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i did so many past papers, ive practically watched every exam solution video... i feel like such a big failure!
Monsieur M
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't worry. I got a U in my C3 mock last year and came out with an A in that module. You can do it, just do lots of practice questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed