Deutschland 83 - Mr Robot - Master of None - Transparent

Watch
woIfie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I thought I'd do a little thing on the best new shows of the year. They're outlined in three posts due to the limit of one YouTube embed per post.

Obviously Mr Robot is right up there at number 1, I probably don't need to introduce it to the TSR crowd.

Number 2 on my list is Master of None, an absolutely bloody brilliant show which premiered on Netflix a few weeks ago and has been picked up for a second season already. It's hilariously well written, quirky and it has a great heart.

I'd say that I'm not sure someone who is under about 24 would really get much out of it to be honest, but if you're a way into your 20s then it's eminently relateable and provokes much introspection.

woIfie
Rep:
?
Number 3 on my list is Transparent, an Amazon scripted drama about a man in his 50s who comes out to his kids as transgender and his experiences transitioning to a woman. That doesn't exactly sound like a whole lot of fun, but it's exceptionally well-written and deeply humanistic and empathetic drama. The way it writes family relationships is really quite good.

It is about to start its second season this month and has already been picked up for a third

woIfie
Rep:
?
And lucky last, Deutschland 83. Very much in line with the late cold war chic at the moment, it's set in 1983 in Germany. The achingly cute Jonas Nay plays a young East German soldier recruited by the Stasi to spy in West Germany. It has elements of a comedy of manners / fish out of water type piece, with a good mix of thriller and action elements. It's perhaps a little broader in its appeal than The Americans, less cerebral, but it was definitely worth watching.

woIfie
Rep:
?
Actually, I should add to that an excellent show that's in season 2 right now. It doesn't fit the criteria of the others on the list (first season shows this year) but it's worthy of inclusion because it should be more well known than it is.

It's called Manhattan, it's set in 1943 / 1944 in the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos, it's about the American and British scientists in World War 2 building the first atomic bomb. The first season is pretty good, the second season is superb.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (95)
61.69%
No (59)
38.31%

Watched Threads