Turn on thread page Beta

P2 Exam: Apparently YOU can use a GRAPHICAL CALCULATOR!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates who done her P2 exam last yr was told by her school that she could use a Graphical calculator only for her P2 exam...so she did!
    Although her exam board was Edexcel as well I’m not sure I can do this in my school… :confused:
    Anyone else has used a graphical calculator in this exam b4?

ReputationRep:
    i always thought the only exams u couldnt use one were p1 and p3, but i may be mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a standard scientific, and a graphic calculator, of your own, why not take both? Then just find out whihc one you can use, that way, you get mazimum benefit with a calculator you can actually use

ReputationRep:
    yep in p2 u kan!

ReputationRep:
    Yes well i ve got this calculator:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/calculators/pdfs/FX7400GPLUS.pdf

"Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with a facility for symbolic algebra, diffrentiation and/or integration..."

Now i know This calculator can't do diffrentiation and intergration but i'm not sure about "symbolic algebra" ... i don't even know what that is :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Yes well i ve got this calculator:
    http://www.casio.co.uk/calculators/pdfs/FX7400GPLUS.pdf

"Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with a facility for symbolic algebra, diffrentiation and/or integration..."

Now i know This calculator can't do diffrentiation and intergration but i'm not sure about "symbolic algebra" ... i don't even know what that is :confused:
    Symbolic algebra refers to things like finding the values of a variable, x, which solve a quadratic equation.

ReputationRep:
    i used a grpahics calc in p2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    i always thought the only exams u couldnt use one were p1 and p3, but i may be mistaken.
    You're not mistaken, that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Porcella)
    Symbolic algebra refers to things like finding the values of a variable, x, which solve a quadratic equation.
    it also means that the calculator shouws u the algebraic steps, step by step

ReputationRep:
    I used a graphical calculator in P2 in Jan, when i did it, but I'm with OCR. My graphical calculator can find the integral, the derivative and that whole symbolic alegebra malarky. but its still ok to use that one. hmmmm bizarre!

oops btw. meant to mention that there will probably be a list somewhere on the website forthe board you are using sayign which calculators are acceptable...so I'd try finding that personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sioniebaby)
    oops btw. meant to mention that there will probably be a list somewhere on the website forthe board you are using sayign which calculators are acceptable...so I'd try finding that personally
    The QCA site has a list: http://www.qca.org.uk/ages14-19/subj...7.html#allowed

ReputationRep:
    This takes the piss, all you have to do is stick in the equations for graph sketching questions? It cant be allowed surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    This takes the piss, all you have to do is stick in the equations for graph sketching questions? It cant be allowed surely?
    You could say the same about the advanced stats features for S1/S2 on most modern calculators.

ReputationRep:
    whaa?? well i didnt that and noone in my school used a graphic calc.
    if they're allowed it's so stupid. is that why they made the p2 paper really difficult

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.