My mum is being super protective...

Watch
CptConnor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Everyone has probably had this stage and passed it, apart from me who's 19 and still getting treated like a 10 year old.

My mum specificaly sees the worst in everything, to a point where going out on my bike when its dark will worry her as she thinks there will be a conveniently placed group of thugs that are waiting to mug me. When I started going out drinking, she wanted me to text her every hour to make sure im ok.

BEFORE YOU RANT ABOUT THIS, I UNDERSTAND SHE CARES ABOUT ME. I know, i've had this told to me about 100 times, but i'm 19.. not a ******* 10 year old.

A good example is today, this girl im seeing was brought up in conversation and it was a solid 15 minutes of them telling me why I shouldnt be seeing her as she's playing me about and how I should see another girl, yet its taken me 5 years to get this far. But in reality they've;

1. Never spoke to this girl
2. Had no info about the many failed attempts at getting into a relationship.

I could go on, but I know you lot dont want to hear it. We were supposed to meet this weekend but she's busy with work and uni stuff, but my parents seem to think that if she's not willing to drop everything to see me she is playing me about... Mabye in her time yes but now that would be seen as being clingy/obsessive. To make matters worse, I was talking to my friends about it over Skype and she burst through the door shouting "Were just trying to help!" and then slams the door shut, so she was obviously eavesdropping on my conversation... Nosey as well as protective, yay! Whats even better is that she has had access to my social media before so she's probably been looking at all my conversations too, awesome.

Dont get me wrong, I feel a little guilty for ****ging her off to my mates but then again they are my best friends, they know alot more than my parents do. Im sure she has ****ged me off to my sister before, pretty sure i've heard them talking about me a few times too.

What do I do here guys? I'm alright with my Dad but obviously my Mum is a bit pissed with me atm. I dont want to go and pull the whole "sorry I was ****ging you off" bs but I realy want her to stop being so protective.
annieapple2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you tried just talking to her? It sounds simple, but she may just be unaware that she behaves this way.
eoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
just rebel
she is gonna have to accept your adulthood the hard way

Posted from TSR Mobile
BookBird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My mum is the same. She is incredibly protective, it can get irritating sometimes. I think what helped tone her down was showing her that I could manage on my own. For example, I signed up to volunteer for 2 months, away from home, and when I came back, she wasn't as protective anymore. Like, she knew I could handle myself. Then this September, I started going to uni, and because she's so far away, she has to trust that I can handle myself. I guess it's just about showing her that you're mature enough to be responsible for yourself.
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your 19 so I assume you go to uni? Do you live in or out? If you live at home how long does it take you to go to uni if it's over an hour early have you considerd moving out in to student housing it may make life a littel easer and you will have more freedom
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
move out? :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (5)
55.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (4)
44.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads