The Student Room Group

Types of jobs business degree students have got after finishing uni?

Hi,

I am 22 years of age and finish uni in 2016, hoping to come out with 2:1 in my business management honours degree.

A bit stuck on how high I should be aiming when looking for a job, so wanted to ask the questions...

1. what jobs have you received once you have left uni? OR if not applicable
2. what jobs are you aiming for?

In terms of career, I am hoping to get a job in one of the bigger companies in Human resources, or the operations and supply chain side of things but I didn't want to aim for a job too low and start way down the ladder considering I would have had a degree, but aim too high and struggle so any ideas and help would be great! TIA
Reply 1
Out of interest, what uni do you go to?
Original post by sasha2015
Hi,

I am 22 years of age and finish uni in 2016, hoping to come out with 2:1 in my business management honours degree.

A bit stuck on how high I should be aiming when looking for a job, so wanted to ask the questions...

In terms of career, I am hoping to get a job in one of the bigger companies in Human resources, or the operations and supply chain side of things but I didn't want to aim for a job too low and start way down the ladder considering I would have had a degree, but aim too high and struggle so any ideas and help would be great! TIA

Depends what you want to do..

You're better off looking into which careers actually interest you than fielding into the abyss of TSR to see what other grads have got. Your career is personal, so treat it like that!

Focus on:
a) The industry sector you want ro go into
b) The job role you'd like to go into
c) The location of the job
d) Graduate schemes at large/medium companies vs applying straight to smaller companies

A, is simple, look for which areas of industry really interest you or vaguely interest you.

B, again, simple. You have Finance, Marketing, Operations, Sales as the core business functions. You then have consultancies that consult on the above, including stuff like strategy etc. For finance, it's split into high finance (Investment Banking, Sales, Trading, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Asset Management) and regular finance within the finance department of a larger entity.

C - London or not London? England vs Scotland?South vs North?

D - do you want comprehensive training, a fast track to leadership and to be a part of a bigger brand? Or do you want more indivudual attention, greater responsibilities, and to help grow a business?
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Depends what you want to do..

You're better off looking into which careers actually interest you than fielding into the abyss of TSR to see what other grads have got. Your career is personal, so treat it like that!

Focus on:
a) The industry sector you want ro go into
b) The job role you'd like to go into
c) The location of the job
d) Graduate schemes at large/medium companies vs applying straight to smaller companies

A, is simple, look for which areas of industry really interest you or vaguely interest you.

B, again, simple. You have Finance, Marketing, Operations, Sales as the core business functions. You then have consultancies that consult on the above, including stuff like strategy etc. For finance, it's split into high finance (Investment Banking, Sales, Trading, Hedge Funds, Private Equity, Asset Management) and regular finance within the finance department of a larger entity.

C - London or not London? England vs Scotland?South vs North?

D - do you want comprehensive training, a fast track to leadership and to be a part of a bigger brand? Or do you want more indivudual attention, greater responsibilities, and to help grow a business?

Thanks for your advice and comments you have a true point. I am interested in Human Resources and Operations side of business, but the jobs especially in Human Resources, not sure how high I should be aiming for, manager jobs or assistant type jobs for a first job after my degree with no experience in this field. So I was interested to see what types of jobs other students had gained after finishing uni.
Thanks for your advice and comments you have a true point. I am interested in Human Resources and Operations side of business, but the jobs especially in Human Resources, not sure how high I should be aiming for, manager jobs or assistant type jobs for a first job after my degree with no experience in this field. So I was interested to see what types of jobs other students had gained after finishing uni.

My mum works in HR!

Look for HR grad schemes, HR Administrator, HR Assistant roles. HR Managers have 5+ years of experience.

Can't comment on Operations as I have no idea about it, apart from maybe supply chain management.
Original post by spicychicken
It depends on your ethnicity

wtf?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

do you have any work experience?
Reply 7
Hi, in terms of HR experience I have an informal chat with a local charity next month for recruitment officer si hopefully that will help if I go into HR. But i have some knowledge as I have studied HR in my degree so far.
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
My mum works in HR!

Look for HR grad schemes, HR Administrator, HR Assistant roles. HR Managers have 5+ years of experience.

Can't comment on Operations as I have no idea about it, apart from maybe supply chain management.

Thank you for your advice! I will look into that :smile:
Hi, in terms of HR experience I have an informal chat with a local charity next month for recruitment officer si hopefully that will help if I go into HR. But i have some knowledge as I have studied HR in my degree so far.

generally employers look for more than just theoretical knowledge, but even if its not entirely relevant any work experience where you can demonstrate competencies like team work, project management e.c.t then that is useful

Quick Reply

Latest