The Student Room Group

How hard is getting into medicine?

This might sound silly but how hard actually is it to get into medicine. Suppose you get the necessary grades and do the volunteering and work experience stuff. Is it really still a low chance. And what if you do terrible at the UKCAT but have amazing higher results ?(A levels in England)
From what I've heard it's very competitive.

I think you really need to have a good UKCAT score.A levels won't make up for it. Everyone applying/getting offers will have good grades similar to you,
Original post by o.0
This might sound silly but how hard actually is it to get into medicine. Suppose you get the necessary grades and do the volunteering and work experience stuff. Is it really still a low chance. And what if you do terrible at the UKCAT but have amazing higher results ?(A levels in England)

Its incredibly difficult to get in, hence why thousands upon thousands of applicants get 4 rejections each year.

99% of people applying will have 6 or more A/A* grades at GCSE, good AS grades (minimum really of AABB) and predicted at least AAA at A2. hence grades dont really make a massive difference. but remember its all dependant on the med school. i currently study at cardiff med school and here if you got 6A* at GCSE you probably wouldnt get an interview, whereas at liverpool you can get an interview with no A* grades!!

also most candidates will have the relevant work experience, so thats difficult to.

if you have a terrible UKCAT but amazing results it will be hard for you, as the UKCAT score is being used much more heavily by medical schools as candidates are exceeding the grade requirements and this is now their only other method of selection. you would stand a good chance at BMAT schools and also at places like Cardiff if you have strong GCSE grades (cardiff dont use the UKCAT) and bristol if you have amazing extra curriculars and work experience. but the UKCAT is a very big defining factor now.

you have to have complete passion and drive to study medicine, and that is shown at interview. not only that, you could have that and you wouldnt get in because you wouldnt suit medicine. the interviews are there to see whether you would suit being doctor and whether they feel you have the right skill set to do so. hence also why the people with 16A* dont always get in either.

IT IS VERY VERY HARD! but im here, i got 9A* 1A at GCSE, AAAB at AS, A*AA at A2 and had some decent work experience (but i wasnt in any sports clubs or anything leadership wise) and I made it first time around. the key trick is to apply to your strengths!
Original post by o.0

It's certainly not easy, but you can make it less difficult by applying strategically and playing to your application's strengths e.g. if you have a very high UKCAT score, apply only for med schools which have a high UKCAT cut off, thereby virtually guaranteeing yourself an interview.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalierm2707
Its incredibly difficult to get in, hence why thousands upon thousands of applicants get 4 rejections each year.

99% of people applying will have 6 or more A/A* grades at GCSE, good AS grades (minimum really of AABB) and predicted at least AAA at A2. hence grades dont really make a massive difference. but remember its all dependant on the med school. i currently study at cardiff med school and here if you got 6A* at GCSE you probably wouldnt get an interview, whereas at liverpool you can get an interview with no A* grades!!

also most candidates will have the relevant work experience, so thats difficult to.

if you have a terrible UKCAT but amazing results it will be hard for you, as the UKCAT score is being used much more heavily by medical schools as candidates are exceeding the grade requirements and this is now their only other method of selection. you would stand a good chance at BMAT schools and also at places like Cardiff if you have strong GCSE grades (cardiff dont use the UKCAT) and bristol if you have amazing extra curriculars and work experience. but the UKCAT is a very big defining factor now.

you have to have complete passion and drive to study medicine, and that is shown at interview. not only that, you could have that and you wouldnt get in because you wouldnt suit medicine. the interviews are there to see whether you would suit being doctor and whether they feel you have the right skill set to do so. hence also why the people with 16A* dont always get in either.

IT IS VERY VERY HARD! but im here, i got 9A* 1A at GCSE, AAAB at AS, A*AA at A2 and had some decent work experience (but i wasnt in any sports clubs or anything leadership wise) and I made it first time around. the key trick is to apply to your strengths!

Wow, those are amazing results by the way :awesome::awesome: at the moment im doing national 5s (GCSE equivalent i think ) and im predicted all A* for the prelims. Im just so worried for the UKCAT. I've tried a few practice ones and so far ive not done marvelously haha. I know i still have around two years to go but i dont know if i should start work experiece or volunteering now or wait a while. Plus its really tricky to find anything as 1- im under 16 and 2- my school is terrible for assisting in helping to find volunteering and experience etc. Is there anything you could possibly suggest that might greater my chances? Thank you so much by the way for your previous response by the way :smile: (ps- i am 100% determined to do medicine, its always been my dream and im prepared to try everything, im just so worried since the chances are so slim and im terrible when i start worrying :colondollar:)
Original post by o.0
Wow, those are amazing results by the way :awesome::awesome: at the moment im doing national 5s (GCSE equivalent i think ) and im predicted all A* for the prelims. Im just so worried for the UKCAT. I've tried a few practice ones and so far ive not done marvelously haha. I know i still have around two years to go but i dont know if i should start work experiece or volunteering now or wait a while. Plus its really tricky to find anything as 1- im under 16 and 2- my school is terrible for assisting in helping to find volunteering and experience etc. Is there anything you could possibly suggest that might greater my chances? Thank you so much by the way for your previous response by the way :smile: (ps- i am 100% determined to do medicine, its always been my dream and im prepared to try everything, im just so worried since the chances are so slim and im terrible when i start worrying :colondollar:)

I would try and start now! but it is very hard till your 16, just put your name forward everywhere for now and see what comes along!
Very hard, I assume...
Reply 7
To be honest, it's hard, but it's not THAT hard. Yes, 60% of people get no offers, but that means 40% of people get at least one - so it's far from impossible! The better your grades, the better your chances overall, and stronger grades certainly mean you have more options open to you, but if you have reasonably decent grades and apply carefully to your strengths, then your chances are pretty reasonable. I wouldn't start work on the UKCAT just yet - save that for the summer holidays before you take it, and concentrate on your school work for now.
Reply 8
It's very difficult but not impossible.

The majority of it will come down to the entrance tests (UKCAT/BMAT).and your A-Level predictions to get an interview.

Then you have interviews which also rely a lot on luck on who's interviewing you, the format of it and how you do on the day.
Reply 9
Original post by Natalierm2707
I would try and start now! but it is very hard till your 16, just put your name forward everywhere for now and see what comes along!

thanks loads :biggrin:
Original post by o.0
thanks loads :biggrin:

To be honest, UKCAT is a test of your close reading and quick maths skills. If you focus on improving those then you'll do well in the first two sections at least, and the other ones will improve with practice. You can improve your reading speed with http://www.spreeder.com/ and your basic arithmetic with http://www.speedsums.com/ and if you use those for maybe a couple of times a day (closer to the time you sit the UKCAT of course) then you should have a very solid foundation for the UKCAT.

Your Highers do matter, but only between A/B, not A band 1/A band 2, unless you're thinking of applying for Cambridge since they're the only uni who will look at bands, so having amazing Highers won't usually make up for a low UKCAT unless you have close to 100% in several subjects and get your referee to mention those grades.

All in all, it's not too difficult if you have a strong foundation in your basics since they'll give you good UKCAT results and you seem to be on track for good Highers too, and if you're truly interested in pursuing medicine, your interviews shouldn't be too hard :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by not you
To be honest, UKCAT is a test of your close reading and quick maths skills. If you focus on improving those then you'll do well in the first two sections at least, and the other ones will improve with practice. You can improve your reading speed with http://www.spreeder.com/ and your basic arithmetic with http://www.speedsums.com/ and if you use those for maybe a couple of times a day (closer to the time you sit the UKCAT of course) then you should have a very solid foundation for the UKCAT.

Your Highers do matter, but only between A/B, not A band 1/A band 2, unless you're thinking of applying for Cambridge since they're the only uni who will look at bands, so having amazing Highers won't usually make up for a low UKCAT unless you have close to 100% in several subjects and get your referee to mention those grades.

All in all, it's not too difficult if you have a strong foundation in your basics since they'll give you good UKCAT results and you seem to be on track for good Highers too, and if you're truly interested in pursuing medicine, your interviews shouldn't be too hard :smile:
thanks a lot :smile: I'll try those for sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending