AndrewKn0x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just wanted to know this as I'm getting different answers. Is the chemistry involved difficult or quite simple?
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Different universities structure their course differently hence you get different opinions.Some unis will decide to include more chemistry than others.

If you have specific unis in mind, try to find out about the modules you would have to take. This should tell you a bit about how much chemistry will be involved.
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Different universities structure their course differently hence you get different opinions.Some unis will decide to include more chemistry than others.

If you have specific unis in mind, try to find out about the modules you would have to take. This should tell you a bit about how much chemistry will be involved.
I have Cardiff University in mind - I'm just wondering whether I should continue with Chemistry AS!
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Probably yes. I just went to their website for a Bsc Biology and it states:

"Typical A level offer: AAB-ABB including Biology and preferably Chemistry"
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm at Liverpool and they have the same requirements as Cardiff in terms of subjects but there has been practically no chemistry in my degree this will depend on the modules you select though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Probably yes. I just went to their website for a Bsc Biology and it states:

"Typical A level offer: AAB-ABB including Biology and preferably Chemistry"
They also accept Psychology as a second science to compensate for not completing Chemistry A-Level. I prefer psychology much more than chemistry so yeah, deciding whether I should continue with it or not!
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Changing Skies)
I'm at Liverpool and they have the same requirements as Cardiff in terms of subjects but there has been practically no chemistry in my degree this will depend on the modules you select though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, really? From looking at their requirements I would've thought they might have been heavy on the chemistry side of things! I would like to study at Liverpool, but I'm not sure I could stick it with chemistry and achieve a B at the end!
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AndrewKn0x)
Wow, really? From looking at their requirements I would've thought they might have been heavy on the chemistry side of things! I would like to study at Liverpool, but I'm not sure I could stick it with chemistry and achieve a B at the end!
Yep thankfully not, there's one module with a tiny bit but even then it's very basic. Since then I've encountered no chemistry at all (which is good as I'm not a fan of chemistry!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well i mean half the A-level is chemistry 0_0
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
Yep thankfully not, there's one module with a tiny bit but even then it's very basic. Since then I've encountered no chemistry at all (which is good as I'm not a fan of chemistry!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you do Chemistry A-Level to actually get accepted by Liverpool? Chemistry is okay at the moment, but it is quite difficult. I really really love Biology, but not so much chemistry lol.
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you do Chemistry A-Level to actually get accepted by Liverpool? Chemistry is okay at the moment, but it is quite difficult. I really really love Biology, but not so much chemistry lol.
My situation is odd Liverpool ask for Biology and another science if I remember correctly, but my A levels are in Biology, English Literature, and History. I applied for the combined honours degree for Biological Sciences and History where you need "Biology and preferably Chemistry" for Biological Sciences. So I got the offer for bio and history. I ended up dropping history so I'm now on the BSc Biological Sciences programme with just A level Biology and I manage just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
My situation is odd Liverpool ask for Biology and another science if I remember correctly, but my A levels are in Biology, English Literature, and History. I applied for the combined honours degree for Biological Sciences and History where you need "Biology and preferably Chemistry" for Biological Sciences. So I got the offer for bio and history. I ended up dropping history so I'm now on the BSc Biological Sciences programme with just A level Biology and I manage just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you got an offer despite not having chemistry? That's quite interesting actually, I shall have to email them and ask whether chemistry is essential or not!
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So you got an offer despite not having chemistry? That's quite interesting actually, I shall have to email them and ask whether chemistry is essential or not!
Yeah they happily accept people with psychology/geography/maths/physics etc instead of chemistry. I know quite a few people who didn't have chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
Yeah they happily accept people with psychology/geography/maths/physics etc instead of chemistry. I know quite a few people who didn't have chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study psychology so that's great to hear!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How much do you want there to be?
I ask because most biology degrees are fairly broad with a reasonable range of options. If ecology, evolution, whole organism biology, behaviour, physiology etc. is your thing, you can largely avoid the chemistry side of things. I know quite a few people who just couldn't hack first year biochemistry and angled their degrees in this way to avoid later modules.

Once you start getting into cell biology, molecular biology, and of course biochemistry, chemistry becomes more important. A good understanding of it (i.e. a good grade a A level) will put you at an advantage, but you can manage without it. I'm in my final year and we've been doing plenty of protein purification of late with chromatography etc. As long as you've got a basic understanding of the underlying principles, can follow the instructions and can interpret the results, you don't need to know any more.
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
How much do you want there to be?
I ask because most biology degrees are fairly broad with a reasonable range of options. If ecology, evolution, whole organism biology, behaviour, physiology etc. is your thing, you can largely avoid the chemistry side of things. I know quite a few people who just couldn't hack first year biochemistry and angled their degrees in this way to avoid later modules.

Once you start getting into cell biology, molecular biology, and of course biochemistry, chemistry becomes more important. A good understanding of it (i.e. a good grade a A level) will put you at an advantage, but you can manage without it. I'm in my final year and we've been doing plenty of protein purification of late with chromatography etc. As long as you've got a basic understanding of the underlying principles, can follow the instructions and can interpret the results, you don't need to know any more.
I'm not to keen on the biochemistry and cell stuff at AS at the moment if I'm honest and I find that ecology, zoology, physiology etc. is more appealing to me, but I'm only half way through year 12 so I haven't covered a whole lot of the spec yet! What makes the biochemistry modules so hard, may I ask? I've heard a lot of people discuss this and say it's difficult, is it just that the chemistry involved is difficult? As I've said before universities are willing to accept psychology A-Level instead of chemistry, so judging by that, would you recommend carrying it on? It's really demotivating knowing I can get a place at a uni whether I have chemistry or not so in my eyes I don't see much of point in carrying it on, but you may have a different perspective being a biology student.
iamchinny
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At my uni, you have to do an 'intro to chem' module if you didn't do it at a level. And for most of us of us that needed to do a biochem module in 1st year. I hate chem, and I'm really bad at it but I managed to pass it.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not to keen on the biochemistry and cell stuff at AS at the moment if I'm honest and I find that ecology, zoology, physiology etc. is more appealing to me, but I'm only half way through year 12 so I haven't covered a whole lot of the spec yet! What makes the biochemistry modules so hard, may I ask? I've heard a lot of people discuss this and say it's difficult, is it just that the chemistry involved is difficult? As I've said before universities are willing to accept psychology A-Level instead of chemistry, so judging by that, would you recommend carrying it on? It's really demotivating knowing I can get a place at a uni whether I have chemistry or not so in my eyes I don't see much of point in carrying it on, but you may have a different perspective being a biology student.
It's not that it is difficult as such, it just doesn't interest a lot of biology students enough for them to be prepared to sit down and memorise say metabolic pathways or the structures of all the amino acids. To give you an idea, this is approximately the detail we had to memorise for the citric acid pathway:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 12.37.35.png
Views: 540
Size:  46.3 KB
There was about a dozen similar pathways we had to know. Obviously it is a bit of a slog and one many 1st years won't bother putting themselves through if the topic doesn't interest them.

But that is not enough reason to not carry on. If biology interests you, go for it. It is relatively easy to bluff your way through a first year biochem module then leave the topic behind you and focus on areas that actually engage you.
AndrewKn0x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quantex)
It's not that it is difficult as such, it just doesn't interest a lot of biology students enough for them to be prepared to sit down and memorise say metabolic pathways or the structures of all the amino acids. To give you an idea, this is approximately the detail we had to memorise for the citric acid pathway:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 12.37.35.png
Views: 540
Size:  46.3 KB
There was about a dozen similar pathways we had to know. Obviously it is a bit of a slog and one many 1st years won't bother putting themselves through if the topic doesn't interest them.

But that is not enough reason to not carry on. If biology interests you, go for it. It is relatively easy to bluff your way through a first year biochem module then leave the topic behind you and focus on areas that actually engage you.
Thanks for this! Obviously that digram is meaningless to me but I'm sure it's not that bad. Did you do Chemistry A-Level? This is making me want to drop it even more now lol.
mice8cheese
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for this! Obviously that digram is meaningless to me but I'm sure it's not that bad. Did you do Chemistry A-Level? This is making me want to drop it even more now lol.
When you've done respiration in Biology A2, the diagram shouldn't be meaningless to you, as you do have to learn it to a very very simple level (though it will probably referred to as Krebs, after Hans Krebs who discovered it, rather than citric acid/TCA cycle).

You won't come across anything as bad as that in Chemistry A-Level. You focus much more on simple molecules. The worst bit or organic is synthesis pathways, where you just have to remember everything, so it's not too bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (8)
7.02%
They might tell the bully (15)
13.16%
I don't think they'd understand (19)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (40)
35.09%
There's nothing they could do (32)
28.07%

Watched Threads